[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is This A Good PC Build For $771?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12
File: pc-service.jpg (134 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
pc-service.jpg
134 KB, 550x367
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9J9jf7

Is This Good For The Price?
>>
>>951989
If you're not going to do it yourself, hell, even if you are:

>>>/g/
>>
>>951990
Read the stickys, /g/ doesnt allow these threads sonny
>>
>>951992
Okay, but it doesn't belong here either.
>>
>>951989
Pirate windows, and use the stock cooler
You literally cant overclock that processor, so its stupid to buy a new cooler.

Use that extra 150$ to get a GTX 970 or R9 390
>>
>>951994
Sure it does, he is building his own PC.
It wasnt until a few months ago people started bitching about these threads, they used to stay up for weeks and people would all talk and chime in.

Now we have people like you wanting to stunt any and all conversations, pointing people to generals and posting bingo sheets.

Thats for contributing to the destruction of a good board
>>
>>951992
Back in my day, they did.
>>
>>951997
>wasnt until a few months ago
Pfft. Buying consumer electronics and particularly computers is squarely a /g/ topic. The fact that they are nowadays too good for these threads doesn't mean that they belong here.
>>
>>952007
/g/ hasnt taken too kindly to any sort of technical thread for a long long time.

A few months ago some phone app put /diy/ as a default, and now we have had nothing but retards like you watering down this board.
>>
>>952010
Yep, that was Clover. As soon as I saw /diy/ pop up in my list I knew we were fucked.
>>
>>951996
While youre at it you can also rob one or two hdds or ssds whatever they make nowdays
>>
File: specs.jpg (150 KB, 676x1261) Image search: [Google]
specs.jpg
150 KB, 676x1261
>>951989
decent but I would ditch the extra cooler and buy a couple $10 fans

if you can't spend anymore I would get the spec-02 case (I have this) and with the extra money saved double (preferable quadruple) your RAM. No sense in going through the effort of building a PC if it's going to bog down with that little ram

also personally I've got no beef with AMD cpu's so I would go for the fx-8350 (have this). works great, benchmarks well. intel fags will have their say but benchmarks don't lie. haven't heard great things for their gpu's however so I would (and did) avoid that

if you're going to do it anon, do it right.

pic related: my specs
>>
>>951989
this >>952171 fag again

for $75 more you can get so much more power.....
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BwycdC

best of luck to you anon, love my fucking PC and proud of it
>>
>>951989
Couldn't you save some money if you bought a Windows 7/8.1 key for $15 then upgraded it to Windows 10?
>>
File: 1422233140004.jpg (37 KB, 390x642) Image search: [Google]
1422233140004.jpg
37 KB, 390x642
Don't get a micro atx, you'll regret.

Not only will it look stupid inside your computer, being a dwarf motherboard in a big tower, the lack of sata ports will drive you nuts.

I refused to go micro atx and I'm so happy I didn't--I use up all six of my sata ports for my hardrives (that i harvested from my dads laptop grave yard).

Everything else seems ok, but I'd personally go with windows 7 pro.

You've been advised.
>>
video games and their paraphernalia belong on
>>>/v/
>>>/v/
>>>/v/
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>952394
>>952396
Where does it say video games in the op?
>>
>>952396
>>952394
Nazi Punks Fuck Off
>>
File: j-roc.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
j-roc.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
>>952406
>>952407
kill yourselves
>>
>>952408
U mean :(
>>
>>951990
>>951992
>>951994
>>951996
>>951997
/g/ has entire threads dedicated to this. go to /guts/, they helped me revise my PC part picker last week
>>
>>952425
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9J9jf7
to answer your other question, no.

I paid $400 for modern parts and $80 for a classic computer in the $200-$500 ebay range. in classic saleable parts: power supply $170, mobo $90, CPU $50, etc. has CRT, I/O, manual, mousepad...

just buy an AMD card, they cost half as much and do the same thing sufficiently well. then scale down the liquid cooler, fancy case, graphics card, windows 10 license, fancy RAM
>>
>>952010
>>952012
I was wonderimg what happened here. I noticed a lot more users recently, but lower quality discussion.
I only come on once a month or so but /diy/ is one of the best boards on 4chin.

OP don't get Windows 10
>>
>>951989
>>951990
>>951992

These how2buildgaymingpcplox threads need their own containment board at this point. /g/ is bad enough, but /diy/ is better than this.
>>
>>952878
We just need a /buy/.
>>
>>952435
>AMD
People kept suggesting amd all the time when I was building mine.
Their specs looked so much better for the price, especially that bulldozer...
Until I checked the benchmarks and they're basically same bang for buck as nvidia or intel if not worse.

Same story for the previous build too. Same with the recent video card upgrade. I just don't bother even looking at them anymore.
>>
>>951996
This

Heck you might aswell skip the optical drive aswell to save some cash
>>
>>952928
AMD are good. Their CPUs still hold up although 4 years old.

Their 200 series is the best series

300 series is same as 200 but with double Ram and higher price

Yes nvidia is better by all means because AMD is always a year behind but the price is usually worth it
>>
File: 1450656354520.jpg (5 KB, 215x215) Image search: [Google]
1450656354520.jpg
5 KB, 215x215
>>951989
> Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $97.95
>>
>>952956
I didn't say AMD is bad. It's just that they don't seem to be a better bang for buck as most people seem to insist. At least not according to a whole bunch of benchmarks I've looked at (I'm aware they aren't ideal, but they're better than "I have AMD and it's great" anecdotal evidence).
They also seem to market towards the "bigger numbers are better" crowd.
>>
>>953990
Even if Amd is a bit behind, you also want to look at the companies you are supporting.
jewtel recently set up shop in israel, a country built on stolen land, and commits human rights violations on a daily basis.
intel also gives assloads of money to bullshit feminist organizations, and something else, that I cant quite recall, but it pretty much made a mockery of science. iirc they also advocate for scholarships that deny people just because they are white (denying someone based on skin color is racism).
Intel does shit like make a new socket type each year so you cant just upgrade your processor, you have to upgrade the whole damn motherboard..
likewise if you want a new motherboard, the new ones will have a different socket type so you have to buy a new processor.

Amd seems to be the more respectable company out of the two, and their prices seem more fair from what I briefly looked at.

Im not up to date on allot of stuff, even I have the impression that intel was better.. but now if I were to build a pc, I would seriously consider buying amd products.
>>
File: vHBibJh.png (289 KB, 549x566) Image search: [Google]
vHBibJh.png
289 KB, 549x566
>>953990
>At least not according to a whole bunch of benchmarks I've looked at

Man fuck Nvidia, especially with their gameworks shit.

I want you to look at the Fallout 4 benchmarks.
Look at launch and look at the big update one. (take notice that no big media outlet does benchmarks for games after updates and you have to rely on some crazy russians)

I have a GTX 770, fallout 4 at launch I was getting respectable framerates at it maxed on 1080
Across the board Nvidia cards looked great, AMD cards really blew.

After the 1.3 update ALL the Kepler cards took a huge dump in performance.
I was getting upwards of 50FPS in ultra mode, no godrays. Now I struggle to keep 30FPS with the same settings. If you try their new gun debris I only get maybe 20FPS.

A GTX 960 now beats out a GTX 780....

And after AMD had time to patch things and send out new drivers, their performance across the board jumped.

Nvidia uses gameworks to manipulate the media in terms of benchmarks.
They optimize their cards from the beginning and make the game run like shit on AMD. By the time patches and AMD optimizations come, everyone is past it and only remembers how great Nvidia cards did.

And its pretty funny, I had heard that Nvidia nerfs their cards in the past. This is just the first time it has happened to me. The 770 was my first big video card purchase.

I could have bought a 280X for 50$ less than my 770 back when I built my machine, time and time again it has beaten my card in benches.
Pic related, its the fallout 1.3 benches showing a three year old $300 AMD card beating out a three year old >$1000 Nvidia card.
>>
>>951989
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qRn87P

Much better cpu for about the same price, changed the board because combo and better board then changed the ram which saved you the difference.

Do yourself a solid and jump up to a gtx 970 the 960 isn't really a gaming card imo, also you are VR ready at the 970 where you aren't at the 960. buy cheap buy twice.
>>
>>954150
This makes a lot more sense. I went from a gtx 550 to a 770...and I swear there was no goddamn difference. I was mad. It's because I paired it with an amd processor and they hate that shit?

Fug
>>
I put a 4790k machine together a couple of weeks back as I was in desperate need of an upgrade.

That's a new i7 4790k (new sealed box but listed on a second hand site)

A new Asus x97 mobo (again new sealed but listed on eBay)

32gb Hyper X ram New

2 x Kingston 240 SSD

Cooler master (evo I think?) Cooler.

Cheap 750watt PSU.
Corsair Case, one of those black silent running cases new.

And I passed about the same as you've priced. Granted I haven't got a fancy GPU but I don't need it. I render videos at 1080p and it leverages Open CL against the onboard graphics anyway.

And pay for win10? Fuck that. Buy 7 and get the free upgrade if you're gonna insist on paying.
>>
>>954352
And I paid the about same rather.
>>
>>951989
Shoulda gone skylake

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wXdHkL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wXdHkL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($68.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($188.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $614.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-01 03:14 EST-0500
>>
>>954660
>go skylake
>limited to 64gb ram
>can only budget for 8gb DDR4

Skylake will be worth the money in about 5 years time, and by then it'll be out dated anyway.

For the majority of users 4xxx processors are today still more than adequate and DDR3 has come down a shit tonne.
>>
>>954678
It's like 40-50 more, and you get USB 3.1 and Type C
>>
>>954679

And who would benefit? People running dual xeon machines in a workstation environment.

It's really not going to make an difference to the home user running fallout for 6 hours straight.
>>
>>954681
It'll matter more in the future for anyone who uses a smart phone which is probably most people buying a gaming PC
>>
>>954690

Yeah, in about 5 years time when the skylake platform is worth the money.
>>
>>954692
Um no, most smart phones are going to be adopting USB 3.1 type C, and skylake is already worth it due to that cheap board
>>
>>954703
>Going to be adopting
When? In about 5 years time?

Don't you get it. There are a hand full of devices that use Type C/3.1; when Type C becomes mainstream in, oh I don't know, about 5 years time, you will have paid a premium just to have it early when in fact it has no widespread use.

The only people that would benefit now are people in environments where a lot of data is being handled; ie. a post production video editor with external SSD drives.

If you honestly think you're going to benefit from spending money on an i5 just because it supports TypeC/3.1 and DDR4 over an i7, good luck to ya.
>>
File: typeCDevices.jpg (49 KB, 792x250) Image search: [Google]
typeCDevices.jpg
49 KB, 792x250
>>954703
>>
File: 11545772240632.jpg (24 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
11545772240632.jpg
24 KB, 301x267
>>952878
/pcvg/. Good.
>>
>>954762
Apple is going to put it on the newest iphones/macbooks and such pushing adoption rates quickly
>>
File: elrisitas.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
elrisitas.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>951989
>CLC for locked cpu and chipset
>>
>>956547
>Apple has put it on the newest macbooks and will never in a million years put it on iPhones after the shit they got for changing their connector once ever
FTFY
>>
>>956547
So look at the demographic. If a person is using an apple mobile device there's a greater chance they will be using an apple computer. So there will be no compatibility issue.

If someone uses mobile type C device with a 'PC' that isn't compatible they can still use USB 3 interface for data transfer. Although data speeds would be limited by approximately a 3rd, it's not really going to make an argument to update to a system that supports type C/3.1.

That's if you have no bottle neck within the system such as RAM and ROM speeds.

What I'm getting at and have tried to already, is if you're building a PC now to incorporate new technology you will pay more for performance, and when that technology is mainstream and widespread, the performance will then be crap in comparison to whatever will be on the market then.

Basically at this point type C is like what USB was when SCSI was mainstream, an early gimmick to entice people to spend more money.

I'm sorry if I haven't explained this well. I've had three bottles of wine, but honestly if you compare the 6700 to the 4790 you're paying more for the same performance for the sake of technology you really don't need.
>>
>>956577
If you were going haswell you'd want a Xeon 1231v3 over an i7

in any case, USB 3.1 is going to be a universal standard that everything uses much like micro USB is now, as such spending $100 now to get a newer platform that'll have at least 1 maybe 2 more generations on it in addition to USB 3.1 is easily going to be worth it.
>>
>>956581
It's not. What application do you think for the home user/gamer 3.1 would benefit over SATA or pcie?

I get it man. Technology moves on. I just don't believe in paying the most now only to have something that won't really be great when it hits.
>>
>>956574
>>Apple has put it on the newest macbooks and will never in a million years put it on iPhones because then people wouldn't have to buy apple phone chargers.
FTFY
>>
>>956588
>>Apple goyim shill the benefits of type C but a good shill would never promote the benefits of type C for iPhone.
>>
>>951990
/g/ doesn't care about the sticky. No one in that thread pays attention to it unfortunately, everyone is an idiot in there. The sticky says they aren't your personal IT support but sure enough there are people in there daily asking for IT support. Rather than posting the link OP, go to /g/, post a pic of the part(s) and a list of the parts with price tags on each part. Then ask if these are good prices. You'll probably be bombarded with the word faggot, but you may get some decent replies as well.
>>
File: usb-c-size-compare[1].jpg (779 KB, 2350x1615) Image search: [Google]
usb-c-size-compare[1].jpg
779 KB, 2350x1615
>>956597
>>956588
>benefits
It's nearly twice the size. How's it even going to fit in an iPhone?

>>956588
Apple chargers are standard USB chargers. They have a standard USB A socket, and can charge any USB-compliant device.
>>
>>951992
They do, they just try to reduce them by making faggots like you fuck off.
>>
>>951989
Since /g/ is pretty useless unless you want to bitch about phones here you go.

CPU is great, if you don't plan on overclocking which you really wouldn't need to.

Ditch the cooler, liquid is an ass pain and not needed on that chip, the one it comes with works just fine.

Fuck Micro ATX boards your gimping future expansion, bump it up to a full ATX. Gigabyte is fine, I like MSI but their layouts are weird I admit.

Ram is fine. 16 is good if you do design but not needed.

960 is complete shit. Seriously has less interface than my card from over 10 years ago. Its worthless. (128-bit don't know what the hell they were thinking but this GPU has to shove everything through a fucking pinhole.)

Get a R9 380 (sapphire is a good brand here) in that price range, it will run 1080, at 60 FPS pretty well on most things. a R9 390 (sapphire model goes for about 300 and is great) will run anything made worth a damn if you want to toss in another 100 you saved off that dropping that cooler. Some may say 970 Nvidia which is fine despite its whole not really 4gb of ram drama, but for what it is I don't think the price is good and the others are better choice.

Case I would pass on. Try Corsair Spec-02. Can catch it for around 60 bucks sometimes and save a few dollars. It will fit huge graphic cards, has great cable management, SSD slots for the future, and is a great layout for less.

Corsair PSU is fine. Google a PSU calculator with your final build to make sure its enough. I like to spring a few dollars for modular ones, but its not something you have to do and if you don't go in the case much you can pass on that.

DVD drive? Why? No seriously you can skip these. Install windows or whatever by USB 3.0 port and you can install Windows and every program you need in less time than just Windows on a disc.

Fuck Windows 10. Nice layout but no benefits to it. 8.1 + classic shell has the look of 7 and better performance. Pirate it idc.
>>
One of the rare instances where r/buildapc is better than /g/.
>>
>>951992
Read the fucking wiki, anyone who tells you this is fucking retarded and should be culled.
>>
File: 2016 intel build.png (74 KB, 889x695) Image search: [Google]
2016 intel build.png
74 KB, 889x695
>>951989
>>954150
>>954660
>>954678
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dHpqxr

Go skylake or haswell-e
I am currently going haswell-e and almost done building it. Still using my Old CPU and Motherboard at the moment though.

pic related, my almost finished build.
>>
>>960073
/g/ is literally deleting pc parts picker threads, giving people warnings, and then sending them to the dead /wsr/ board.

>read the wiki

The wiki has nothing to do with specific hardware, just a vague overview of building a PC.
>>
File: 1455084682656.jpg (147 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
1455084682656.jpg
147 KB, 768x576
>>960077
Also R9 380 over GTX 960.
>>
>>960080
Im glad that the wiki somehow overrules the new mods and new rules that are being enforced on the board.

The wiki contradicts the sticky anyways
>>
>>960078
THE FUCKING WIKI SAYS ONCE YOUVE CHOSEN YOUR BUILD PUT IT ON /G/
It looks like the autist mods from /a/ can't even into reading comprehension.
>>
>>960081
Care to explain these "rules"? I read the rules for /g/ again and it looks like they didn't change for me.
>>
>>960083
>/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.
>For tech support/issues with computers, use /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

How hard is this to understand, especially when mods are deleting threads and warning people to go to /wsr/
>>
>>960084
It's not ASKING for tech support or consumer reviews, they need to
A. Update the wiki
B. Cut that shit out
C. Get the fuck off my board.
>>
>>960086
Arguing semantics doesnt change reality, and its been clear for a long time that /g/ hasnt handled PC building threads well.

And I can tell from how angry you are getting you are pretty new to this board.
Nobody had a problem with PC threads here 6 months ago, now that we have this huge influx of idiots pretty much every thread ends up in shit flinging.
/g/ has been dead for a long while, it looks like /diy/ is next
>>
>>960087
That's why I left that board, and yes, I am new to this board.
>>
>>960087
horseshit. I've bitched about these threads from the very first day /diy/ existed. It doesn't belong here. It's like the god damn cosplayers asking how to make foam swords here instead of in /cgl/
>>
>>960092
Shut up nigger.

This thread is a mess.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.