[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Temperature control
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 20160225_110957_HDR-1.jpg (621 KB, 2203x2269) Image search: [Google]
20160225_110957_HDR-1.jpg
621 KB, 2203x2269
How do you deal with the summer heat /diy/?
Or for people in other countries, how do you deal with the cold?
>>
>>951823
I turn on the AC.
>>
>>951824
Legitimately did not expect a response that fast.

Also my mom doesn't like AC because "you don't pay the bills around here".
>>
Do the math, get AC, pay your mom for the power.
>>
fucking freezing here
got my ass a big ol comforter i wrap my self in like a cacoon

for the garage to be heated, my mom started giving me a bill bi-weekly ,
>>
>>951827

in the summer my mom also doesnt like the ac
so because i live in my parents basement, its like cold as shit down here in the summer, aswell as the winter

>>951841
>>
>>951827
Does she not afford hot water either...? Im not joking I legit know people's mother s who are like that.. Typically people from third world shitholes then come to america to have kids but want to pretend/act like they still live in those shitholes. An use money as an excuse.

Buy a window AC unit. Do the math for her.. Even for a 700 watt system. And using my current electric bill for refernce. (about .20cent kilowatt hour.) running the unit for 8 hours of a single day. Everyday would be $1.12. 31 month bill for it would be 34.72.
>>
>>951845
She came from a shithole, yeah. And we can afford everything we need, we're middle class.
Some habbits just die hard.

>>951845
Also buying an ac unit like that is a little difficult for a barely employed uni student.
The fans are plenty since they're also close to the window
>>
>>951823
See
>>947885
>>
ive got two window units and one large standing tube unit. Summer we have them on and off as needed.
>>
take off some clothes and drink a glass of ice water.

> how do you deal w/ the cold
>>
>>951970
Put on some clothes and drink hot cocoa.
>>
Sometimes I soak the shoulder parts of my shirt in water and put it back on. It feels real cold at first, but once it warms up it feels like it's almost insulating, so I sit next to a fan. Then it feels like it's constantly cooling a little more.
>>
>>951823
snow is actually a great insulator from the cold
i live in northern ontario and every year my parents made us kids pile up snow around the house
as soon as the snow got deep enough, we started layering it around the house
in february during the coldest part of the year we had snow five to six feet high around the house and even though we had a shitty poorly insulated house with no proper vapour barrier, most drafts were cut down and most of the heat stayed in the house
the coldest and most uncomfortable times were actually in the fall when snow hadn't accumulated yet and in the spring when it started melting away
as for me, i live in a modern house that i renovated myself and built in six inch walls, proper vapour barrier, sealed draft barrier, exterior foamboard, wood siding and sealed doors and windows and i still pile snow around my house
its february and minus 40 outside and i feel fine
>>
>>951978
I'm in northern Michigan and we do the same thing here. That's why this winter was so shitty, when it actually got cold, it didn't snow, so it was just bitter and windy.
>>
>>951823
>buy solar panel
>use it to power radiator fan which is mounted over an open window
Why buy multiple overpriced computer fans and have to rig it all up when there's already a thing?
>>
>>952013
>>buy solar panel
>>use it to power radiator fan which is mounted over an open window
>Why buy multiple overpriced computer fans and have to rig it all up when there's already a thing?

Most people who build PC's have a bunch of fans laying around in a drawer somewhere. You get more fans whenever you get a new case
>>
>>952013
I didn't buy anything.

>>952016
My family owns a pc repair shop so I had a bunch handy.
Also one of my computers doesnt have a case yet so I soldered them up to a molex connector and plugged it into the power supply.
>>
>>952017
If you put that in a window it can be quite helpful pushing cooler air into your house in the evening when once the temperature starts to drop, or if the room is on an upper floor, use them to extract hot air from the top of the room, drawing cooler air from lower in the house.
>>
>>951868
You can typically find cheap portable/window A/C units on craigslist for ~$100, $300-500 new. Plus $1-2 per day in electricity.

You have to ask yourself how much your comfort is worth to you. Buying and running an A/C unit ten hours a day all summer long will cost you about the same as buying a cold drink from McDonalds every day of summer (averaged out over a couple years).
>>
>>952021
Not in Australia.

>>952018
Thats true. My computer is pretty close to my window anyways so I'm pretty sure it's pulling some air in regardless
>>
>>952023
In Australia I got a 850W portable A/C for $150 on Gumtree, power costs $0.29c/kWh.

That's 8.5kW per day (over 10 hours) which works out to $2.47/day.

Assuming you run it for 90 days a year, for two years, that's $3.30/day that you run it (including the initial cost at $0.83/day.

A large drink from McDonalds costs $3.49AUD.

Check and mate my good mate.
>>
>>952027
Here is an current listing on Gumtree to prove my point, although I don't know where in Australia you are located.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/colyton/air-conditioning-heating/panasonic-1-5hosre-power-air-conditioner-wall-mount/1105316805
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.