[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi DIY! >how can I build my own laptop? I have a 2011 MacBook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Hi DIY!

>how can I build my own laptop?

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that is holding up very well, however it is soon time to upgrade.

I'm looking to build my own laptop from scratch, Ideally i'd like to order the parts and assemble at my house. How hard is this to do? Where can I get a "chassis" for a laptop? Am I better off buying an alienware or similar brand? Any good brands out there that are more under the radar?

Any other suggestions are welcomed. My budget is approx. 1000-1500 and I want top specs. ie. 16GB ram, 4gb graphics card, proper cooling, high rez screen, SSD, etc. I also want the computer to run iOS (apple software) not PC!

I work as a graphic and web developer however I play WoW occassionally and want the comp to handle extreme graphics.

Let me know!! Thanks
>>
You might have more luck on /g/ but in general, building a laptop from scratch will cost more and be objectively worse than a bought one. Better to buy a laptop and upgrade/mod it.
>>
basically, you can't.

The closest you will come is going to apple's site and selecting limited options for your next macbook.
>>
>>949676
You can't build a laptop like a desktop, it is not a thing.
>>
>>949676
>I also want the computer to run iOS (apple software) not PC!
This wh
>to run iOS (apple software) not PC!
You're an absolute fucking retard. Go read the sticky on /g/ and only post in the /sqt/
>>
>>949676
http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-o-5841604

Then pick parts for a mini itx and... oh wait unfortunately you can't get a mobile processor so that sucks.

Well mini itx at least and then get a couple sealed 12v batteries to give you power because you can't afford lipos and you need a billion jigga watts to power your 'laptop' because you can't use any mobile parts.

Even with a mini itx case and integrated graphics you will blow the pants off of your power so you will only run for 15-30 minutes off a reasonable sized batter.
>>
>>949676
You honestly can't
>>
You can build Mackintosh's fairly easily. But make sure at least one other person has built the same configuration as you as IOS has extremely limited hardware compatibility.
>>
>>949676
Did you maybe mean osx? iOS is a single platform OS (ARM) made by a super proprietary company that tightly controls the hardware, so you're just not going to get a laptop to run iOS.

Osx is a cross platform OS, and they can't control the hardware as completely as they do for iOS. Between those two things, it's both possible and easy to run osx on generic pc hardware.
>>
>>949729

yes, osx

>>949699

sorry, want to run osx not windows, clearly by pc I mean windows software. I thought this was a more civilized board than /b/ apparently I was wrong lol.
>>
>>949755
There's good and bad on all boards. Also he was probably being shitty because you triggered his autism specific interest. It's like people getting upset for writing "there" instead of "their".

To answer the original question, technically speaking, although it might be possible to build a laptop the effort put in vice just buying one might be a massive. Also, you would need to factor in for shit like needing the nessacary tools, material and knowledge to put it all together. Do you have a CNC machine? How much have you soldered? Do you have easy access to raw materials for building the laptop frame? Etc. It's possible, but likely out of your price range if you don't already know the answer.
>>
>>949755
Google for hackintosh. It will give you all the info you need for what is compatible for current builds.

There's not much out there for DIY laptops, but there are some premade ones that can run hackintosh build ok.
>>
>>949676

OCZ used to offer a package just like this, you bought the case, mobo, processor, etc. and assembled it yourself like a desktop.

Isn't a thing anymore, never caught on and they stopped offering it.

>>949676
>I also want the computer to run iOS (apple software) not PC!

Sounds like you wouldn't be smart enough to do it anyways.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.