[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /diy/, I'm an apprentice electrician. Word of this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11
Dear /diy/, I'm an apprentice electrician.

Word of this gets around to my friend who purchased a totally disconnected massage chair off craigslist.
He totally believes I can connect everything and get it working, wouldn't even take no for an answer. So I googled the serial number got jack shit. I phoned a few massage chair companies to see if they can trace it but I'm now informed that companies purchase a base model and stamp their company logo on it so it essentially means nothing.
I can't find any instruction booklets online.
My friend like I said seems convince that I can but I just don't want to. He said he'd pay me if I can, is this worth my time? I feel like it's just color to color connections but the shops I phoned say it could be more complicated than that and nothing can be done without the model number (non existent on the chair) and an wiring diagram.
>>
>>949055
>>
>>949056
>>
>>949057
>>
>>949059
Last picture I grabbed before I left.
>>
>>949055
show him the difference between an electronic engineer and an electrical engineer, and then tell him to get fucked
>>
>>949087
But is it possible?

If it is I'm up for it.
>>
>>949091
it depends how it was disconnected. From the pictures it looks like, from the number of spare plugs, there is some form of control unit missing. If this is the case then it is very unlikely you can fix it. If all of the electronics are present it would still require a wiring diagram or a huge amount of luck to correctly reconnect the wires without fucking over some of the components.
>>
>>949091
I wonder if everything was disconnected to hide the fact the chair doesn't work, and some part(s) are fried/broken.
>>
>>949105
>>949104
This is what I was thinking a little bit. I'm pretty sure incorrect wiring could possibly damage it.

I probably go over and explain that I don't feel it's possible. I remember trying to explain this on the phone and he was just saying over top of me, "So when can you come to try?", after I had finished saying I don't think I can.
>>
>>949055
> googling serial number.

Found the problem m8, a serial number is a unique ID put on only one item ever produced by that company. I'm surprised it's not a googlewhack. Try googling the part number or looking for a service manual.
>>
>>949104
Pretty much this, looks like all of those wires hooked up to a control unit at one time and the control unit's been removed. Without a model number it's impossible to research the chair to find a replacement one. You're literally doing what any electrician would do and they wouldn't be able to do anything either. Serial number means nothing without the model number which is clearly missing. Tell your friend he'll need to find out the model number and we can go from there, otherwise it's a bust.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 480x480
>>950462
Never mind got it op. It's a sl-a18q massage chair, pic related.
>>
Okay, eesh, what a rats nest.

You look like you are missing a board in there. The one board you posted pictures of looks almost like it's for a media feed - does the chair have speakers built in or something?

I see nothing for controlling motors, nothing for transforming mains supply or for DC conversion, and nothing that would actually drive the thing. Without a control and power board, it's DOA. Chances are any identifying numbers will be printed on that board anyway, so figuring anything further out would depend on already having the missing part.
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 1242x1242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 1242x1242
>>950464
Here's the same thing in a different color

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S7AEAC?tag=au026-20#

Dollars to donuts those missing wires go to a control unit that controls that screen on the chair. Your friend is gonna need to shell out some bucks for that control unit if he wants the chair working.
>>
>>950466
Good call, looks like some headphones are on the arm rest in the two pics I posted
>>
>>950466
Amazon description pic related. That board is for the headphones
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 1242x249) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 1242x249
>>950476
Forgot pic
>>
Here's a link to the user manual

http://www.irest.cn/en/support/index.html

SL-A18Q

Pretty expensive chair you got there
>>
Here's a user manual, but it's mostly in Chinese or something

http://www.irest.biz/UpLoad/shuoming/a18Q.pdf
>>
File: image.png (304 KB, 2208x1242) Image search: [Google]
image.png
304 KB, 2208x1242
It's made by a company called iRest

Here's their contact info, I'm sure they can set you up with some replacement parts.

http://www.irest.cn/en/contact.html
>>
Contact them via Facebook

Contact them through Facebook

www.facebook.com
/iRest REMOVE THIS PH/?refid REMOVE THIS =13
>>
Hope your friend has a good long distance service, cus you guys are gonna have to call china

>Y-yes, hello? I n'need wiring diagram for your electric chair...b-because 4chan...
>WA?! YOU WAN PORK FRI RYE?? NO EXECUTION! DON'T CAWH BACK!
>Y-yes
>*hangs up*
>>
Ouch they sell iRest chairs on Alibaba. That's all China brand crap at wholesale prices. Good luck ever finding parts :-/ I already checked eBay btw, no dice. Just gonna have to contact the manufacturer direct

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?SearchText=irest
>>
Looks like they don't make them anymore

http://www.irest.cn/en/Product/massagechair.html

Closest one is SL-A18-3

It might use some of the same parts, fingers crossed
>>
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 1242x1305) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 1242x1305
>>950492
The SL-A12Q-1 has a similar armrest button pad as op's model on the left armrest
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
>>950489
>>
>>949109
just say, "it's missing the brain." "all those connectors were plugged into a computer that controlled the various motors." "you bought an incomplete piece of shit that will do nothing."

this is from years of experience being a handyman /diy/er. NEVER EVER TOUCH ANYTHING YOU DONT OWN. ESPECIALLY IF AN ASSHOLE FRIEND IS INCREDIBLY INSISTENT THAT YOU DO IT. REDFLAGREDFLAGREDFLAG. I have gone to repair shit for people only to have them turn around and demand I buy them a new one when it blows up again a month later. someones engine is leaking coolant? plugs all rusted and water pump shot in a beater. dump a pack of radiator stop leak in there, advise them to start saving for a new car. goes completely over their head, they get buttmad that they thought it would stop the leak completely and now the head is dead and the mechanic told him that those things break engines so its your fault.

fuck me, I had forgotten what it was to be completely clueless when some teenagers cheered me on yesterday in my fucking 2l 4Cyl because they were excitedly talking about how i must have dropped a XIA in there bcuz the sound.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.