[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Handle material for polearms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (385 KB, 1607x1039) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
385 KB, 1607x1039
Hey /diy/, this is my first thread here. I was wondering if I could get some advice for making handles for polearms, such as halberds, pikes, javilens, and so on. I was thinking about using some 1.5 X 48 inch dowel rods from Lowes or Home Depot. Any other suggestions would be great
>>
>>948858
I'd use ash, hickory, or elm.
>>
>>948858
What >>948868 said. Make sure that the grain is dead straight.
>>
>>948868
As American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) to that list. It is the strongest wood I know of personally. I use it for all my new tool handles now.
>>
File: Wood chart.png (91 KB, 826x583) Image search: [Google]
Wood chart.png
91 KB, 826x583
>>948858
The main wood you are looking for is ash, hickory and other similar woods also work good.. the stuff you get at Lowes is called poplar, and while it's great for random wood projects it is simple garbage for polearms, it's just simply worse for a handle in every category.

Check pic related for a simple chart to give you an idea.
Simply look for a type of wood that has >= bending strength as ash and it should work fine. If you wanted to spend some real money I'm sure there are weird ass exotic woods that are extremely better than your standard ash.

You also want to look into woodworking forums or something of the like if you don't know to see if the wood you are thinking about has any stupid properties that makes it unsuitable, if you are deviating from the standard of course. Like maybe the wood has incredible bending strength so it looks gold at first, but it's very susceptible to warping or something.

If your looking for suggestions I get my dowels from
>http://www.bairdbrothers.com/Hardwood-Dowel-Rod-C95.aspx?gclid=CPOA_K3M0sYCFY-HaQod8SIEwQ
>>
I believe you should take this to the weapons board
>>
>>948963
that would be a waste of time. /k/ know fuck all about anything pre 1890, and less about polearms.

OP, you want straight-grained ash.
depending on the type of polearm, you're probably looking at slightly squared octagonal cross-section, 31mm (1 1/4 inch) square, with a taper to 25mm / 1 inch on either end.

straight grain is critical, so its better to use a spokeshave and follow the grain, and have curves in the haft, than it is to use a plane or worse, a saw, and go across the grain.
>>
OP here, would a lumber yard possibly sell any ash or hickory dowels, Or am I restricted to buying it online?
>>
>>949028
yes. but even better is to ask them for ash square.

you really do not want a round haft - real ones are faceted.
>>
Osage Orange is generally the ultimate wood. Much heavier than oak or maple, which would counterbalance the weight of the head, strong as fuck, almost rot proof, most stable of the American hardwoods.

I love this wood. I keep a few bd ft around at all times and use it on special occasions.
>>
>>948963
Why? I need info on the strongest and most resilient types of wood for a handle, I doubt they'll know shit when it comes to this. /diy/ makes the most sense for asking this
>>
>>948963
This is the correct board. Even the sticky says so.
>>
>>948858
Home depot and menards have oak dowel in pretty thick sizes for shorter polearms and 1x2s can be glued together face to face to make an oak 2x2, which can be profiled however you want.

Just be sure to get the straightest grain available.
>>
>>949645
Oak is way too split happy, don't do this unless you like pain.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.