[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wall hangers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: 8873684336670.jpg (17 KB, 600x386) Image search: [Google]
8873684336670.jpg
17 KB, 600x386
Hi folks!
I rarely come to this board, but figured you could help me.
I would like to set up a 5.1 sound system in the room of my new apartment and the owner gave the permission, but asked me to make it so I can fix it if I move out in the future.
What can I use which can hold hanging speakers and can be removed with the least damage to the wall?
>>
How heavy are the speakers.

If you can hit a stud, a simple screw would be the easiest to fix. Otherwise you're basically stuck with anchors. The trick is to just tap them below the wall and spackle over them.
>>
File: mediumrefill_500.jpg (91 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
mediumrefill_500.jpg
91 KB, 500x700
should be able to use these things and not worry about any screws.
>>
>>948097
Those are nice. If you want your speakers to fall down and break.
>>
>>948104
And I started getting my hopes up I can cheese it
>>
>>948097
Lol.

>>948075
Do it the right way, a screw into stud,toggle bolts, or EZ anchors into drywall and take 4 minutes to spackle over them when you leave.
>>
File: wall-anchors-9.jpg (16 KB, 510x250) Image search: [Google]
wall-anchors-9.jpg
16 KB, 510x250
>>948104
Nah, these work. They make them with some kinda shit like velcro but better. Stick one side to the speaker, the other to the wall. You wouldn't believe the shit my wife hangs with these when she's too impatient to wait for me to finish the other 90 things she asked me to do and decides to actually do something herself. I'd use pic related tho. Makes like a pinhole in the wall, i hung like a 18 lb picture with one. No tools, just stab it in the wall. Only downside is if you do hit a stud.
>>
What's a stud? Non native english speaker here.
>>
>>948430
An attractive man generally. You're welcome.
>>
>>948430
the wood wall frame, usually 2x4 some kind of conifer
>>
>>948430
male horse meant for breeding
>>
>>948457
are stud really held in place by just two nails? seems not very rigid.
>>
>>948461
It's enough to keep it from moving. It just needs to stay put to carry a compression load. Shear loads, if present, are carried by panels affixed to the frame. Bending loads are carried by the floor's structure.
>>
File: 2314.jpg (11 KB, 429x128) Image search: [Google]
2314.jpg
11 KB, 429x128
I do a lot of commercial HVAC and to hang thermostats or other sensors in drywall I use wall dogs. its basically a screw with a larger flute to hold in sheetrock. they work very well and leave a small hole to fill.
>>
>>948455
I see. We don't use those over here. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>948082
>The trick is to just tap them below the wall and spackle over them.

That. Anchors are fine if you can't find wood behind the wall to screw into. Even a nail or screw hole is going to need to be patched. You just tap them in with a screwdriver before you hit them with mud.

Just get a style rated for the weight you need. Small bookshelves or tiny little satellites you'll be fine with small plastic ones. Then they make beefier anchors that'll a couple of them will hold your damn studio monitors on the wall.
>>
>>948173
This. These hook hangers are like 10 for a dollar at walmart. They leave a hole slightly bigger than a tack. You don't even need spackle, the hole will get filled in with paint when you paint the wall.
>>
File: wall-anchors-1[1].jpg (17 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
wall-anchors-1[1].jpg
17 KB, 400x250
>>948075
See that guy on the lower right? I forget what it's called but I'm using 2 of those to hold up my bathroom mirror. They're rated for 35 lbs each and leave a tiny hole. You don't even need any tools. Just stab it into the wall and rotate.
>>
>>948513
Nah, crap.
>>
Speakers weigh less than a pound a piece. Small nails will hold just fine and can easily be puttied over.
>>
>>948075
Thumbtacks pin prick of a hole and long as in a stud will hold up a speaker fine.
>>
>>949040
maybe your little 5w wallmart tweeters.
any decent full range speaker will pull the nail out with bass.
>>
File: 1380430222-500x500.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1380430222-500x500.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
If they are a bit heavy; use this.
Use a screw that is around the same length as the plugg.
You don't need to worry about the thickness of your wall. Don't punch a hole for it though, it may create cracks in the wall and let it come out easier.
>>
>>949027
Wall dogs work if you're able to screw that mother in flush to the wall and are wavy about the load you're putting on them. They're hit and miss if you're mounting "keyhole" style stuff where you're blindly fitting that bracket over the screw head.

Be warned - overloading them results in a delayed cataclysm... As my wife discovered her she put ONE MORE THING on that shelf...
>>
>>949022
See that on the upper left? Only thing I'll use on shelves. 100lb loading.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.