[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Devtac-type helmet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
Allegedly these are supposed to be bullet proof (not that that would stop brain trauma but still)

I have been interestimg in making a helmet like pic related, and then extending what I learn to make an entire suit. Apparently they use 3a Kevlar.

Where can I find more on this topic? I can only find kids making batman molds on youtube and It's pretty frustrating.
>>
>>947717
*interested

Not sure how that happened.
>>
Bulletproof is a generic bullshit term. Do you intend to get shot with a BB gun or a .44 magnum? Because there is a fucking difference.
>>
>>947721
It doesn't really have to be high calibre safe. Im thinking 9x19 or .40. Definitely not interested in airshit, but if the methods are similar I'll look at it.
>>
/k/ isn't too impressed because you cant just buy it but I got theory about using what is called "biorock" for light weight ceramics. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biorock

It is electroplated minerals from sea water on a conductive frame. Discovered on ship wrecks naturally forming from electrolytic reactions. Turns out it is stronger and lighter than concrete.

This is where it gets interesting. Carbon fiber cloth is conductive, can be easily sewn into layered stacks. Then saturated in a solution of calcium, magnesium, and other minerals, and left to grow into artificial sea shell plates.

This could be a ceramic plate bound flawlessly on a molecular level. No air bubbles no uneven parts like a baked ceramic could have. Not to mention each layer of carbon fiber holding any fractures or shards together.

Laminate that with heavy duty truck bed liner and place in custom plate carrier. FTW!

Going to start a small batch experiment soon.

Bonus ( cracked plates can be healed by reapplying voltage in a solution. It regrows!)

Lot of potential with this stuff.
TLDR; vat grown armor plates

>>947717
I would think about getting a can of "flex seal" get some kevlar and cut it into your plate shapes. Spray and layer. Cure it in a vacuum bag (shower curtain, folded, edges rolled and clamped with a shopvac stuck on a corner). You can build a custom cure-bag around a form mold so it will cure with curved organic shapes to match your body. Look up cured,/boiled leather techniques for ideas for mold forms (and pipe chunks thermal molded to shape, wine bottles for nice forearm sloping curves and more).

Alternate and layer hard epoxy layers and shock absorbing rubber layers for best effect like bullet resistant glass is made.

+/- $.02
>>
>>947717
Made by a guy for use with paintballing and airsoft...
>>
Shock absorbing rubber is bs.

Its too heavy and shock absorbing means soft.

Your outer most layer needs to be hard so steel or ceramics. Then kevlar over an aluminium karcass and then something like sorbopads.

I am working on something like that.
>>
Shit visibility, heavy, hot. There have been attemps to create full coverage body armor but it always trips on those 3.
>>
Heavyis better than dead.

Hot? Its easy to make it cooling. Sone nice metal spots touching your skin are very cooling.

Visibility can be done, needs only bulletprotecting glass
>>
>>947717
>>949581
>>949587
Helmets aren't actually that useful in combat, with the exception of catching shrapnel.
Nobody, and I mean not one single person in the entire world except for maybe some airshit kiddies who've played too much cod, aim for the head in combat.

There's a very simple reason for this, the head is a tiny target, atop a much larger target, i.e. the torso. Everyone aims center mass, because it's the easiest to hit, which is why 90% of armor is there.

A 9x19mm will zip right through every nation's helmet, except maybe those crazy Russian titanium ones with the 3-inch-thick ballistic face shield, because they're not made to stop bullets, only shrapnel.
>>
I know. But havin a full body suit and the head open to all sides cant be the solution either..

I mean if you make full body armor, the weight of an additional helmet shouldnt bother.

And the main protection should be shrapnel and dust
>>
>>949587
More weight means more time getting to cover, more water and energy expended. It's the reason why marines ditched the heavy as fuck IOTV's for smaller and lighter PC's.
>Its easy to make it cooling
Along with more weight.
>needs only bulletprotecting glass
Along with more weight.

>>949595
>A 9x19mm will zip right through every nation's helmet
No.
>>
>>949597
>I mean if you make full body armor, the weight of an additional helmet shouldnt bother.
?
>And the main protection should be shrapnel and dust
Helmets adequately protect against shrapnel and glancing small arms fire just fine. Anything bigger will be heavy as shit, will obstruct your vision, and disable you to shoot your rifle properly. Same goes for full coverage armor. Heavy as shit. Unless we start mass-fielding robotic joints, this won't happen anytime soon.
>>
>>947727

>not high caliber safe
>9mm and .40

Did you know both of those are larger caliber bullets than 5.56 and 7.62?

You mean you want something that will provide protection against handgun level ballistics. Which means if you get shot with a rifle, it will likely cause the bullet to fracture, tumble, expand etc which means you would be better off wearing NO MASK to protect your face against high velocity ammo.
>>
>>949625
IIIA rated MICH helmets have been known to stop 7.62x39 at glancing angles/extreme distances. Full-face helmets are still completely retarded but to say that wearing nothing is better is questionable.
>>
>>949630

Look at the exit wound from a 5.56 and compare it to the entry wound.

A mask would cause exit wound damage the moment it entered.

And practically everything can stop 7.62 at glancing angles and extreme range, even hip flasks and pocket bibles.
>>
>>949637
Polish up on terminal ballistics. No, a coin will not stop 7.62. No, a wound through soft tissue is not the same through bone.
>>
>>947717
Your pic related is loaded with shot traps. That's a bad thing. Look at some of the more advanced medieval full helmet designs to get a better idea of how it's done.

You want to redirect and shed as much impact energy as possible. The more energy your helmet absorbs, the heavier it has to be.
>>
>>949669

I've heard stories of .45 bouncing off a dudes skull at point blank, then the dude beat the shit out of his shooter.

I've read legit news stories about a cop that shot a suspect 5 times with his .357 revolver, then the suspect killed him with a .22 that bypassed his body armor and bounced off the shoulder blade and snaked to his heart.

You want me to polish up on terminal ballistics? You polish up on human anatomy. Our bodies are not made of jello. And a coin CAN stop 7.62, sometimes factories make mistakes and it doesn't get the correct powder charge.

There are so many strange stories and mythologies around ballistics because there are almost unlimited variables.
>>
>>947822
Why has no one commented on this? This is amazing!
>>
pls go school shooter/cop killer/bank robber.

>>947717
>>947719
>>947727
>>947822
>>949587
>>949597
>>
>>949587

>some nice metal spots touching your skin are very cooling.

I can tell you have never even been anywhere with a warm sunny climate.

You can get first degree burns resting your arm on the window sill for a fraction of a second on a darkly colored vehicle in the West Indies.

If your arm is kept there then you are looking at second and third degree burns. He'll wearing black shoes is painful if you are standing in the sun.

The temps often don't rise higher than 32 Celsius here so I can already tell that all of your infantry are going to throw that shit away if you don't a/c these things.
>>
>>949742

>exceptions are the rule
>the post
>>
>>949763
Waiting for test results and "here's why ur idea is shit" posts.
>>
>>947822
Your a Fucking genius.
>>
>>949684
Thats why i (the other guy) said your outer most layer needs to be steel (ar500 or a 600 brinelle steel or ceramics) to redirect. If the bullet passes, the kevlar and the aluminium carcass(like a sandwich where the middle part is like bees hive hexagonal) and then sorbo pads.

If your bullet doesnt deflect, it first ueses energy to penetrate the hard outer shell. Then even more energy to go through the aluminium and kevlar wich will stop it. The remaining emergy will be equally dispersed over a eider area through the sorbo pads. The sorbo pads wich keep the aluminium at distance are not full cover but in lines like the sponge of a bicicle helmet.
>>
>>947717
$500 for a mask... pass
>>
>>949794
When one of my ideas aren't immediately ripped apart I start to worry a bit. Even a stopped watch is right twice a day. Guess it's bucket time.
>>
>>949630
>IIIA rated MICH helmets have been known to stop 7.62x39 at glancing angles/extreme distances.
so are fenceposts, what's your point.
>>
>>949684
Redirect energy you say? Like how they attach the plates with magnets so on impact it shears off taking the bullet and energy with it away from you. Making for a light weight helmet that doesn't soak energy but sheds it away. Reed in the wind sorta thing. Real clever, never mentioned. The best crumple zone isn't you.
>>
>>949742
A slot machine is a solid way to make money, I've heard of people making several million dollars on them
>>
>>949784
Faggot, kill yourself
>>
>>950006

No, redirect energy as in the plates are angled so the bullet is deflected, maintaining some of its energy as kinetic energy instead of dumping all it's energy into the plate and stopping dead.
>>
>>950007

Indeed, slot machines make millions.

You're sarcasm is shadowed by reality.
>>
>>950021
I hear you and redirecting almost all of the energy by shearing the whole plate off away from you instead of just the bullet/top layer makes sense. That way the helmet gets to be light weight and a bullet strike won't break your neck. Never intended for multiple hits to the face but will eat that lucky shot for lunch.
>>
>>950035
Yeah but the problem is that the plate is gone and useless at this spot. My idea is better
>>
>>950065
How does your idea make a lightweight tactical helmet again? I'm just pointing out how a design feature in this actual developed product works.

Heavy has been around for a while, not new. Smart is the new, new.

We are debating Irish boxing vs aikido.
>>
File: shrekus_by_mar_er-d4x9vrj.png (691 KB, 900x676) Image search: [Google]
shrekus_by_mar_er-d4x9vrj.png
691 KB, 900x676
>>947717
But are they super sledge proof?
>>
>>949998
It proven on a larger scale the only issue is coating time and if the carbon fiber will dissolve or not. Though you initial layer should form relatively fast as you have a large surface area. Other than that please post results I have ideas for this stuff.
>>
>>950071
Leightweight is relative.

My helmet would habe a out 4-6 kilogramm.

Carbonfiber, aluminium and foam make it possible. Outer most layer of cheap but good ceramic plates (aluminiumoxide) would do well
>>
>>951581
>running around in a fullface 4-6kg helmet

Nah no thanks
Might as well lug around a face shield that attaches to your vest and be done with.
Or hide behind sandbags.
>>
>>949595
>Helmets aren't actually that useful in combat

eh
>>
OP is a faggot but I'd hire you all if you don't reveal my Identity unless I go all Tony Stark.

I am not OP but also doing the same thing, I require Atleast 50 calibure antimaterial Rounds and Tank rounds eventually a Nuke.

The Recruiting Process is Stringent just by suggesting you are inclined towards building such a suit the Vetting has already Begun.

Yes I am a Man looking to become a Super Hero.
>>
File: 1449647866522.jpg (30 KB, 479x414) Image search: [Google]
1449647866522.jpg
30 KB, 479x414
>>951618
I'm watching Yall.
>>
>>951618
>>951619
there's already a superhero thread, go be autistic there
>>
File: 1455594242539.jpg (99 KB, 666x636) Image search: [Google]
1455594242539.jpg
99 KB, 666x636
>>951629
No thanks I need it to fight the Communists.
>>
File: 1448449194126.jpg (69 KB, 950x546) Image search: [Google]
1448449194126.jpg
69 KB, 950x546
>>951629

Just imagine the /diy/ location when we finally get our own Island.
>>
File: 1402758684940.gif (448 KB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
1402758684940.gif
448 KB, 200x183
>>951645
>not wanting to become a Communist Power Ranger
>>
>>947822
>/k/ isn't too impressed because you cant just buy it but I got theory about using what is called "biorock" for light weight ceramics. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biorock
>It is electroplated minerals from sea water on a conductive frame. Discovered on ship wrecks naturally forming from electrolytic reactions. Turns out it is stronger and lighter than concrete.
>This is where it gets interesting. Carbon fiber cloth is conductive, can be easily sewn into layered stacks. Then saturated in a solution of calcium, magnesium, and other minerals, and left to grow into artificial sea shell plates.
What is it's hardness? Concrete makes very poor armor. For armor you want the absolute hardest materials you can find layered between the strongest materials possible to absorb the impact force.

It's why you have depleted uranium titanium alloys in ammo and armor, it's frail as a structural material but has absurdly high hardness and density.
>>
>>947822
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biorock
>the coatings can thicken at the rate of 5 cm per year
Good luck
>>
>>947717
>K2 Denier
>fiberglass resin
>layer to 1/2 inch - 1 inch thickness
>apply panels to maximize ricochet
>attach to helmet/bracket
>laff
>>
>>950006
There's more than 1 bullet in a gunfight, genius. First hit strips your protection, leaving you with compromised mobility and peripheral vision from the parts of the device that didn't fly away.

Full face/head ballistic protection has limited utility. If you're going to use it, you don't want to have a design that offers any kind of features that act to capture and channel energy into the wearer. Something like a close range blast of 00 buck could break your neck even though it achieved no penetration.

Look at how motorcycle helmets are designed. That smooth, rounded surface is what you want for a ballistic head enclosure.

I can think of only 2 situations where something like that might be worthwhile- bomb squad and the first guy in a contested entry.
>>
>>947717
>Kevlar
>bullet proof

Can this meme fucking die, Kevlar ain't saving you from anything but fat and slow pistol rounds.

Make yours out of ar500 please.
>>
>>953746
>spalling and unnecessary weight
>>
>>949595
They are useful, and they will stop shit like 9mm, don't be silly. But yeah, it's super unlikely that you'll get shot in the head in combat, they're mainly to stop shrapnel, and having a super big heavy helmet, especially if you have a face shield too is retarded, it ruins your visibility, it's heavy, and it can make it difficult to go prone.
>>
>>949595
>Helmets aren't actually that useful in combat.
Used my helmet to wash my face out of in the field.
>>
>>947822
You are fantastic. Absolutely stellar innovative thinking.

Will you be my friend?
>>
>>953549
>the coatings can thicken at the rate of 5 cm per year

Thats 50mm a year
4 mm a month
on a single piece of scaffold material 4mm a month is more than enough especially when you consider that youll be building this from multiple layers of carbon fiber (or whatever the scaffold material is)
Considering the final piece of armor shouldnt be more than 1.5 to 2 inches thick and that will be made of what? Maybe 16 layers of material (1/8in spacing for a 2 inch plate). That will be only around 3mm that has to build on every layer of material.

So if thats right youd only be looking at about a month for the plate to "grow"
>>
>>953746
Kevlar will catch bullet and ceramic fragments after the ceramic plate takes most of the energy away.

Kevlar or more recently ultra high density polymers can definitely be a useful part of ceramic composite armour.
>>
File: 3apic.jpg (47 KB, 600x568) Image search: [Google]
3apic.jpg
47 KB, 600x568
>>947717

3A is the level of ballistic protection as determined by the NIJ.

The issue with that helmet is that it has too many notches and placed to catch instead of deflect.

/k/ has pretty much come to an agreement. Until we get a suitable power source to power an exoframe on which you can hang heavy plates trying armored suits aren't going anywhere for soldiers because the weight of the plates themselves are going to suck.

>>947822
Concrete is relatively poor at stopping bullets on its own and will just create a shit ton of spalling when a bullet strikes it, your biorock isn't going to do much better.
>>
>>954549
Nice bit about this material it if can merge with itself is it would have virtually no voids between the layers. The holy grail of composites.

Only issue you might have with it is shear stresses. I have no idea on how this material rests to a shear or tensile load.
>>
>>954988
It will need some type of anti-spalling coating, but so do all ceramic composite plates.
>>
>>955042
The problem is concrete is nothing like metallic ceramics. Modern ceramics are extremely hard and can be used for things like bearings.

Now if you could get ceramic particles to assemble themselves in the same way as the biorock does it would be interesting.
>>
>>949595
they've stopped 7.62x54r, they're useful and not a huge deal, and a Kevlar helmet will catch a pistol round. A face mask has the issue of breaking your face when its hit, and ive broken my orbit it takes you out of the game anyways.
>>
>>956263
Ceramic particles? You mean base minerals like calcium, magnesium, sodium, carbon and silica.
Ceramic isn't an element. Right?

Adding metals is not too hard for electrolysis as well.
>>
>>958422
Particles is not synonymous with atoms. Particles of ceramic is a perfectly reasonable way to describe tiny fragments of a ceramic material.

Particle board isn't just any board made of atoms. Particulate filters don't filter at the atomic level.
>>
>>958422
You would want boron-carbide. But I have no idea if it would respond to electrolysis or if it would form a material as hard as when it is sintered.
>>
>>958516
Boron carbide is made in a kiln.
>>
>>958570
If you grind it up into a powder and suspend it in water could you get it to form like that biorock thing does?
>>
>>959111
Maybe if it was incorporated into an electrode and you hook up the carbon fiber as the anode. Do this as a pretreatment before adding minerals and reversing the current.

I like this, dont know if it will work. The kiln method vaporizes cotton saturated in a boron solution that binds with the carbon weave that used to be cotton. But its all about making carbon cloth and boron hug, so sounds good.
>>
>>949637
The helmet will slow the velocity of the bullet though senpai.
>>
>>949595
> This much bullshit
Are you a POG or
>>
>>949742
> extremely uncommon occurrences
Lololol
>>
>>949902
> what is spalling
>>
>>959378
>What is anti-spalling
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.