[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lets say i want to dig a soakaway for storm water, not poo water.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: pccring.jpg (274 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
pccring.jpg
274 KB, 720x480
lets say i want to dig a soakaway for storm water, not poo water.
soil is clay so doesn't drain well.
dug a hole in the garden to just about 4 meters deep to get through the clay and it drains fine.
popular method seems to be fill the hole with broken bricks and shit but this seriously reduces void area and draining capacity.
i have seen milk crate type attenuation cells but wrapping in sheet and burying sounds like a bad idea, how long until it gets blocked?
my personal preference is something like pic related.
issue is cost, to get rings with holes drilled, delivered then craned into the bottom of the hole is very expensive.

so now to the question /diy/
i want to pour a perforated concrete shaft myself. how do i calculate the wall thickness so it doesn't turn into a grave.
i have had a google around but i can't find any relevant standards, just existing sized pcc sections with no values as to the mix or safe depth etc.

thanks!
>>
Instead of using concrete you could use corrugated plastic pipe. Its lighter and cheaper. And I always seen people fill the drywell with course stone with landscape fabric ontop.
>>
File: cache_638829004.jpg (133 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
cache_638829004.jpg
133 KB, 800x600
What you want is field tile.
>>
>>947342
i looked at twinwall from a few sources but for the rainfall/area/hole it needs to be over a meter diameter and made to order and very expensive. same with the stone infill, i know its common but it pushes the volume way up

>>947574
not really because i would have to dig the whole place to 3-4 meters to lay it under the clay and dig it all up again when it filled with silt.
>>
File: c7-p-1.gif (23 KB, 580x751) Image search: [Google]
c7-p-1.gif
23 KB, 580x751
>>946996
This might help you.
>>
>>947342
this is how you do it. you slope it into a semi buried plastic water barrel

its a product you can pick up at tru value. they come in many sizes larger and smaller than ops pick. some even have a gauge that floats up to show you how full it is.
>>
>>947673
gives more surface area for the water to cling to.
>>
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20806752,00.html

How to Install a Dry Well
Controlling rain run-off with This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook

/thread
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.