[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /diy/. So I got this electric motor that a uncle gave to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: 3.png (2 MB, 1325x905) Image search: [Google]
3.png
2 MB, 1325x905
Hello /diy/. So I got this electric motor that a uncle gave to me and I'm trying to repair it. I have almost no electric skills but I thought that with your and youtube's help I might have a chance.

So it has been under rain for a couple days, so it got water in the electric cables. I took it apart and dried all the components, but this capacitor seems like was gone, so tomorrow I will buy a new one.
Anyways can it be fixed guys?

pic of said motor.
>>
File: DIY Bingo2.jpg (109 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
DIY Bingo2.jpg
109 KB, 600x600
>>945710
>>
>>945710
Was there anything wrong with it before he gave it to you?
>>
File: 1.png (1 MB, 656x1133) Image search: [Google]
1.png
1 MB, 656x1133
>>945727
Actually I don't know, but it was pretty beat up and since it was under the rain seems like I should change the capacitor, shouldn't I?
>>
>>945734
You change capacitors when they have trouble starting.
You need to test it before you go off and start spending money on it.
>>
>>945710
i would check to see if the centrifugal switch works
>>
I'd suggest fully stripping it, right down to removing the armature and inspecting the commutator/rings. Do you know if the regulator is a carbon pile or electronic?

Since it looks like all your screws are corroded, you will probably have a lot of corrosion on any unpainted parts. I can't say if all of the parts will be available so it may be beyond repair, but stripping it will give you a valuable insight into the workings of electric motors
>>
File: IMG_20160213_031013283.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160213_031013283.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
>>945769
Can you pls tell me if the wiring in the pic is done the right way? I already cleaned and dried all the wires
>>
>>945781
Looks correct to the diagram I guess. I would leave it in front of a heater for at least a day to make sure the windings are dry before you plug it in. Also, if I were you I'd start it plugged into a separate breaker or gfci cord or something instead of tripping off a chunk of your house when it shorts. Just assume that it's not going to work before plugging it in.
>>
Well I already plugged it in and it's working fine, I didn't wired the capacitor though. Will it affect the the motor if I don't install the capacitor?
>>
>>946026
I think the capacitor is for starting the motor under load.
>>
>>945724
hey do you have an empty card for me? I like the idea.
>>
File: 1407361548080.jpg (135 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1407361548080.jpg
135 KB, 600x600
>>946055
>>
>>946041
This.
It can also function to stabilize the incoming line if you slam a load onto it suddenly (like a flywheel clutch). Or power factor correction if it's installed somewhere with crap power/tons of motors/drivers. Caps do a bunch of cool shit. It's probably a good idea to replace that.
>>
>>946057
Tnx
>>
>>945781

Well, you appear to have cut the nameplate left side out of the picture. So that is in keeping with /DIY/ standards. Also, the connection (blue/brown) to the top of the cap cannot be seen clearly. Good job!
>>
>>946055
>>946057

> hey I want to be a negative condescending cunt too, can I have a copy?
> tripfag delivers
Why am I not surprised?
>>
>>947732
Thanks, i was trying to find the right words.
>>
>>946211
We are not dealing with DC...
The capacitor on this motor is a non polarised run capacitor. The run capacitor is connected from phase to the aux winding, the capacitor creates a phase angle shift between the incoming line and the winding which gives the motor rotational torque. Without the capacitor connected, when the motor is powered, the rotor will just oscillate and the motor will buzz doing nothing.
The capacitor has no intended effect on power factor as it is in series with the winding.
PFC capacitors are also non polarized which are however connected in parallel with the load(s).

First thing to do is make sure the shaft is free to spin and the cooling fan isn't fouling on the guard if it is damaged.
The wire coming out the top of the capacitor looks a little suspicious. Some mulitmeters can measure capacitors. If you have one, test the capacitor. You can test the windings by splitting the connection between the aux and main and measuring on ohms through the winding, should get a lowish reading approx 10-100 ohms. Kohms the motor is gone. Then use the meter (this should be done with an insulation tester but whatever) to measure between the windings and the metal frame for earth faults.
>>
>>945710
>>945781

Can sombody explain to me why there's only 3 connections on this motor? I'm still learning about electricity and every 3phase motor I've seen has 2 connection points per coil; so 6 in total.
>>
>>949955
>>949955
Kek it's a single phase motor. It's probably start/run/neutral. Regardless, many 3-phase motors will have 6 terminations and 4 wires, because you jump the non-polarity side of each winding together.
>>
>>945724
why do you keep posting this without getting a line?
do you have no sense of shame or embarassment?
the whole point of bingo (not that i condone it) is to mock threads and ops that tick enough boxes to make a line or house or bingo

if you post an incomplete card you essentially show support for a decent thread and so there is no need to post it.

i just wanted to let you know how stupid i think you are
>>
>>950135
Oh, I thought it was 3phase because of the U/V/W coils.

I don't know alot about 1phase motors yet.
>>
File: fyou.gif (196 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
fyou.gif
196 KB, 500x500
>>950142
This PSA brought to you by self a righteous douchbag.

Thank you for setting us all straight we could not do anything on /diy/ without your vast amount of knowledge.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.