[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Driveway
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: Paving.jpg (360 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Paving.jpg
360 KB, 1000x750
I have a narrow asphalt driveway going to my house (a car and a half wide)
I have three cars therefore I want a wider driveway
Next to the driveway there's a hill that I can dig myself (with help)
Is there anything else I can do to avoid being charged for anything else (beside actual paving) by the paving guys?
I'll just take out the dirt to the level of the actual driveway + a few inches then use a compactor to get it to the same level
Do I have to put any gravel or stone base?
Will they try to convince me that they have to cover both the dirt and the old driveway with one layer?
Will they try to convince me that they have to remove the old one and build a brand new (bigger) one?
>>
>>945252

Just park them with sense. I can fit 3 trucks on the image and get anyone out without moving the other
>>
>>945252
If you want it done properly you need to remove more dirt and put in a few layers to make a decent sub base. Google 'paving expert McCormack' for everything you didn't want to know about ground works.
No need to lift what's there.
I'd be more worried about laziness with the sub base leading to failure rather than them doing extra work
>>
>tfw you're an american
>tfw if you build your driveway to code it will outlast your house by 6 decades

What is the point of building your driveway to handle 60 years of semi truck traffic when your house is a paper machet and tooth pick construction rivaled in build quality by your daughters science fair project?
>>
File: 2016-02-11 17.29.40.jpg (554 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-11 17.29.40.jpg
554 KB, 1000x750
Christ op just park smarter, that's a pretty large driveway.
>>
>>945266
>>945303
My fault, that's not my driveway. It was already dark and cold outside when I started the thread so I used a pic I found on google images
I can fit three cars on mine: one next to the house (blocked) and two side by side in front of it but both of them will have two wheels on grass
>>945283
What kind of base?
Gravel, sand, rocks, clay?
>>
OP here with a shameless self bump and an unrelated picture
>>
>>945318
>What kind of base?
typical subbase is 100-250mm of compacted (with one of those plates or rollers) hardcore (rocks and shit). for a binder and surface course allow 75mm so foundation dig should be at least 175mm below finishing surface
>>
>>945553
I hate to be that guy but I've seen "professionals" do some pretty crazy driveway work with my neighbors.
>>
>>945553
hello op, i am a landscaper by trade, so i'll give you a run down of what you need to do,
you will need to dig 200mm below the finished driveway level.
make sure not to leave any loose material in the bottom of the excavation
next you need to add a stone base, in canada it;s called crusher run, crusher run is crushed stone ranging from 19mm to 0mm
fill it up with 150mm of crusher run, tamp it with your feet
the paving guys will add 50mm of asphalt and they will also tamp and level the base
>>
>>946193
In the US "crusher run" is any old crushed concrete so specify carefully.
>>
>>946193

>landscaper

Some unqualified person who does landscaping you mean.
>>
File: 1418786421906.jpg (109 KB, 640x501) Image search: [Google]
1418786421906.jpg
109 KB, 640x501
>>946193
OP here. So, what I'll basically do is:
Dig to minus 20cm (relative to the existing driveway)
Add rocks/rubble and maybe some sand up to level zero
Use a compactor to lower the level to minus 5cm crushing the rocks and pushing them into the ground

One more question:
How much more should I expect to pay because my driveway is on a slope (fortunately in only one direction - from the house) compared to the same job on level ground. The slope is ~5%

Once again, the pic is totally unrelated
>>
>>945303
op doesnt drive one of your tiny eurocuck cars.
an american car would probably take up all the room. you might be able to fit two uncomfortably if you park really close together.
>>
>>946669
Yeah I'm from burgerland and I have 2 lifted trucks and an suv that would all fit in that driveway like that.
>>
>>946669

>I have the parking skills of a teenage girl
>>
>>945303
>Fuck opening doors.
>>
>>946839
one of us is misjudging the amount of space on this driveway. and Im pretty sure its not me
>>
File: kJLCf.gif (612 KB, 610x640) Image search: [Google]
kJLCf.gif
612 KB, 610x640
OP here
I came
I asked
I got an answer
Then everything went south ...
4chan will never change even if it's not /b/; that's why I always come back
>>
>>947534
they went to shit because of you, op fag.. making shitty threads.. always needing something never helping others
>>
>>947058
I'm not saying it would be easy or fun to do every day but it's doable if your main car is the one parking straight or the one closest to the road.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.