[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
plastic welder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: plastic_welder.png (156 KB, 600x501) Image search: [Google]
plastic_welder.png
156 KB, 600x501
has anyone used one of these before? what can you do with it and how strong is the bond?
>>
>>945214
look up light activated resin...basically, it's kinda like an epoxy resin that only hardens upon exposure to UV
>>
Buy a real plastic welder.
>>
>>945214
weak fragile plastic doesnt adhere well to a lot of surfaces you get what you pay for.
>>
I have no idea what the hell that shit in your picture does, but it's estimated that the bond strength between two pieces of plastic that are chemically welded together is about 80% of the strength of an equivalent single piece.
>>
>>947410
i'm not really sure either just saw it in a local flyer for $20. i think it's supposed to be basically a soldering iron but with plastic and it uses a UV light to harden it or some shit
>>
>>945214
I don't have whatever that is, but I do have a soldering iron type plastic welder. It works all right for simple repairs, where it has paid for itself several times over. A few things to keep in mind: Use a plastic filler that matches what you'll be welding. The "general purpose" filler sticks sold for plastic welding suck. Plastic is made of long molecules, and to get a decent bond, you'll have to stir the melted plastic so that the plastic molecules bridge the gap. Just butting one drop of liquid plastic against another and letting it cool will not make a very strong bond. And it probably won't be as strong as the original unless you build up the thickness a bit. Embedding a bit of fiberglass mesh into it is a good idea if it needs to take impacts or bending stress.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.