[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Race car seats as office chairs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: s-l1000.jpg (67 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
67 KB, 1000x1000
First time poster here, i found out that ive seen more and more people that spend a lot of time in their computers (mostly for entretainment) that usually have either a race car seat as an office chair or an office chair inspired by its design and materials, so i took up on google to figure out why, but all i could find were websites that sold them.

I dont even know if this is the right board, since there is no furniture board, but if anyone knows, why is it that race car bucket seats are becoming the new high-end office chairs? is there any particular reason or something?
>>
Because they are cool and gamer companies have to sell useless shit to fat fucks to make them feel cool and sportive .
>>
>>942839
Hey mate i did it, it was out of necessity as my old office chair was all torn up and falling apart. So i had 2 seats laying around for a car im building and used 1 of em for my office chair. Havent got a pic on my phone but used an isotta talladega seat, came up really nice.
>>
>>942841
So is there no real advantage in design or materials other than the looks?
>>
>>942843
no. there is no ergonomic benefit.
>>
Pro gaymen events and popular streamers get sponsored by these companies in the hopes that retards like you go out and spend stupid money on what is essentially just a cheap Chinese chair base with a cheap Chinese racing seat clone welded to the top.

They're some of the worst chairs you can buy, because racing seats are made to keep you snug and secure for fairly short bursts of time, not 16 hours a day on your fat ass.

Buy a real office chair with actual ergonomic support backed up by research, your back will thank you in 20 years.
>>
>>942953
Just a standar leather office chair? or the air ones?
>>
>>942953
>short bursts
I wasn't aware that 4 hours, 12 hours, and 24 hours were considered "short".
>>
File: MartinBaker.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
MartinBaker.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>>942839
I've worked for a few outfits where pic related might have been more appropriate.
>>
>>942965
Depends on what you want. Ideally, you want expensive shit from companies that went under. The Aeron and similar clones are the best chairs in my opinion, simply because mesh is cool and sweat free in summer and warms in half a second in winter. They're crazy overpriced, but you can get one for around the 200-400 dollar mark depending on how long you're willing to wait and where you live.

>>942966
They're designed to stop centrifugal force throwing you out of the seat and to feel nice, not to provide any kind of lumbar support.
>>
>>942970
>They're designed to stop centrifugal force throwing you out of the seat and to feel nice, not to provide any kind of lumbar support.
You don't know half what you think you know.
>>
File: Nostromo-Bridge6.jpg (23 KB, 320x281) Image search: [Google]
Nostromo-Bridge6.jpg
23 KB, 320x281
>>942967
same here. Fucking xenomophs.
>>
>>942970
>the 200-400 dollar mark
too expensive, but thanks anyways, i will try to aim for air chairs next time.

>They're designed to stop centrifugal force throwing you out of the seat and to feel nice, not to provide any kind of lumbar support.

/o/ lurker here, you are seriously fucking wrong. The ENTIRE concept behind a car seat its that it needs to be comfortable and protect your entire spine in case of sudden crash, that means it needs to go with your spine.
>>
if you´re thinking about making one, dont use a racing seat, a regular car seat is far more comfortable
>>
>>943318
I am not a /diy/. i might learn how to do my own shit later, not now, but this is as close as it gets to a furniture board (ive checked all of the other posibilities)

Now i just want to know what good matter could replace leather (besides air chairs), since leather makes my ass sweat
>>
>>942839
T
Let me start by saying this thread is fine. But if you can't think of what board to post something on. You could just use the rest of the Internet. There's going to be more discussion and information on a subject as common gaming office then you could reasonably read in a day.
>>
I was looking at new chairs all day online yesterday. Later, I came on diy and stumbled upon this thread. Then it hit me - I have a spare sparco seat in my garage at the moment.

I took the shitty seat off my old chair, made a bracket and mounted the sparco seat on the cylinder/wheel assembly from my old chair. Fucking profit. Finally a chair that isn't retardly uncomfortable. Sure, the sparco seat is way more expensive than a regular office chair... But ya know what? It was just collecting dust anyway since I sold my rally car.
>>
>>943377
what was the rally car? the /o/ in me wants to know.
>>
File: 20160208_180914.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160208_180914.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>
>>943379
Beat up old Subaru legacy I tore down, caged, rebuilt the motor, etc etc etc.
Was just for US newbie tier shit like NASA and RA. Stock or slightly modified classes.

I was always more of a drifter desu, but kinda fell out of all the fun stuff in the last few years. I've have 2 Rx7s, 5 240sxs and that legacy.
>>
>>943383
Beautiful chair man.
>>
>>943403
Sold them and left benchracing forever? or just went to using another car?
>>
>>943406
I'm pretty much out of it now... At least until I actually buy a house and have shit in order.
1 rx7 was totaled, the other sold. All 240s were sold, 2 with SR20s and 2 with RB series motors, the remaining one kept jts KA24.

I used to build one, drive it for a year or so, get tired of it and sell to build another. I got more fun out if building than driving, apparently. Guess that's why I frequent diy more than o desu.
>>
>>942839
As relatively common as this idea it is, I, the self-proclaimed nothing of nothing, approve this thread.

Office seats can be such garbage, and most automotive seats are done to a decent standard (even the so-called "uncomfortable" race seats. They reduce all the bulk while maintaining the necessary shape)
>>
File: 20150825_202706.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150825_202706.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>943404
Thanks, all i did was weld up a frame from some scrap metal my work was throwing out and borrowed a mates mig welder and supply a six pack.. pic is frame before welding
>>
File: image1.jpg (382 KB, 1296x968) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
382 KB, 1296x968
>>942839
>>
Find a discarded power recliner and remove the wood and upholstery with a socket held in a drill or a screwgun or whatever.

I tore mine down because heavy and getting rid of chair, then noted nice steel electrically actuated pantograph base. Mounted a clean passenger side generic Ford seat to it (pax side seats get less abuse) that cost me 15 bux at salvage. Now have recliner adjustment plus seat adjustment and can switch seats easily.

People give away recliners when Gramps kicks the bucket. Take them apart outdoors for obvious reasons unless taking them apart for convenient removal from premises. A knife gets the upholstery connections.
>>
I didnt want to make a new thread for this, but how would i transfer the heating element in my stock heated seats to a racing seat in my car?. 03 golf. Would i have to cut a slit in the bottom and back and re sew it, or is there a simpler way?
>>
>>945044
Do you have a picture of what you're talking about? What parts of the power recliner are you repurposing?
>>
Well, its official, this thread has been alive for 1 week. Is /diy/ that underpopulated?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.