[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have this little plastic piece, how can i make a copy in metal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: s-l300.jpg (6 KB, 300x254) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
6 KB, 300x254
I have this little plastic piece, how can i make a copy in metal
any advice in metal casting
>>
i'm having trouble with the mold
here is a 3d model of the piece
http://images4.sw-cdn.net/3dviewer?model=3441527
>>
>>938128
print/shape with foamboard and use lost foam casting. dip in plaster of paris a few times for a smooth edge.
>>
>>938187
oh tank you, i'll try that
>>
>>938277
don't forget the sprue. and by smooth edge i mean smoother than sand will generally give you. you'll need to file with a needle file to get it to match exactly.
and you'll need to use pla and not abs. it needs something that will quickly evaporate instead of just melting.
>>
>>938128
No idea why you'd go to the trouble of casting when you could machine it?

Fuck, I could make that with a grinder and a drill press out of steel bar.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.