[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boost Controller Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
What do I need to change in this circuit to adapt it to handle a 36V 20A output and a 12V 60A input?

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/3787fc.pdf
>>
>>934645
nigga if you can't figure out a linear datasheet theres not much hope for you.

easiest way without doing any math will be to attach a 100k pot across the output rail with the wiper going to VFB, you can then just turn it until the right voltage comes out, make sure you start low(towards negative) or you'll likely damage the controller as soon as Vout > Vin.
>>
The data sheet indicates a 10A max output. Use more than one, you worthless tard.
>>
>>934645
you can't because of the rating like >>934731
said. get a different part or more of these parts
>>
>>934645
Put a 3:1 transformer in between the mosfets and the filter caps. If the switching speed is very high, you can probably wind the transformer yourself. Above 50kHz or so, you only need a couple dozen turns on a decently large toroidal core. If the max current output is 10A like >>934731 says, you can use higher rated mosfets or put several in parallel. If you go parallel you'll have to include some gate resistors and/or a driver circuit to make sure they all turn on and off together.

Needless to say, this is adding a lot of pointless complexity when you can just find something that is rated for what you want.
>>
>>934783
Could you recommend me another controller for my application?
>>
>>934645
there is no such thing as 100% efficiency
>>
>>934645
Better MOSFET's, larger inductors and perhaps lower resistance current sense resistors along with changes to the current sense pin ITH.
>>
>>935266
Please describe or draw it to me, I'm retarded.
>>
>>935309
What are you trying to power? 60 amps is no easy feat, it will require a very tight layout.

Literally everything is going to be a power resistor at those currents. Suffice to say you are going to need paralleled MOSFET's, large inductors rated for at least 150amp amp peak currents and capacitors in parallel to spread out the ripple currents.
>>
>>935327
Electric go kart motor

Are you sure that boost controllers work with increased amperage like how you described?
>>
>>935309
Then you shouldn't be trying to design such a complicated power supply. People go to university for years to learn how to do this. Just go on digikey or some other electronics wholesaler and look under voltage regulators for something that fits your needs, then follow the schematic in the datasheet EXACTLY.
>>
>>935337
What do you think this is?
>>
>>935341
If you're referring to the picture in the OP, it's a schematic for a power supply that doesn't meet the specified requirements. Don't try to re-engineer something if you don't know what you're doing; just find something that does what you want to begin with.
>>
>>935334
Yes providing you choose components rated for the expected currents. The steady state currents are just the start of it, peak currents are usually double the steady state currents.
>>
>>935352
So I wouldn't have to change the actual values of inductors, resistors and caps, but just their power rating? Do I need to isolate the FET gates with an optoswitch or something?
>>
>>935354
You would probably have to use smaller inductors to keep the duty cycle from maxing out, something like 6.8uH I assume.

The whole diagram is really just an example, each MOSFET would need a gate resistor and the thing that dictates that is the circuit layout as the parasitic inductance forms an LC circuit with the gate capacitance, things like this can cause oscillations and popped MOSFET's in less than a microsecond.

22 ohm would probably be a good starting point.
>>
>>935362
Hmm

I have the basics

Can you recommend me any electronics forums who can further help me?
>>
>>935367
eevblog and element14 have a section on linear technology products https://www.element14.com/community/community/manufacturers/lineartechnology

Texas instruments also have a very good forum but they only answer questions regarding Texas instruments products.
>>
Jeremy is that you?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.