[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was thinking of building one of these IBC aquaponic sytems. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: ibc.jpg (108 KB, 480x643) Image search: [Google]
ibc.jpg
108 KB, 480x643
Was thinking of building one of these IBC aquaponic sytems. What sort of air pump would I need in this? Assuming there'd be about 200 gallons of water in it.
>>
Presuming this is for fish, why would you use an air pump over a venturi?
>>
Oh, didn't know of this method until now. Well that helps alot lol. Thanks mang

So that just requires a water pump then right? Could I get my air flow as well as my flood and drain to the plant bed off just one pump?
>>
>>931168
not that adnon but out of curiosity why does everyone recommend venturi?

Your going to wear the pump out faster and an airpump is also a pretty cheap way to circulate water and add air.
>>
>>931161
see
>>>/out/661534

Use as many form of oxygenation as you can, don't limit it to one thing.
>>
>>931190
Thanks for the link mang :^)

Yeah this'll be my first system, won't need it til' spring so if I can sell it at a profit I'll do that and just build another system. Just trying to make it simple keeping any customers in mind, so being able to run the system off of one water pump would be ideal, while still being able to fulfill the air needs to a variety of fish.
>>
>>931177
Because oxygenating water is about simply increasing suface area and mixing water.
>>
it depends on the species and number of fish.

>not all fish like high energy water movement
>many fish need much oxygen

and warmer water holds less oxygen
and smaller oxygen bubbles are better:
stay longer in water,
better oxygentransferrate because of volume

at least one venturi and two airpumps
>>
>>931177
>wear the pump out

Using a venturi does not affect the amount of water the pump moves. No idea where you fabricated that nonsense.
>>
>>931913
Because of surface area... Not volume.
>>
>>931938
yeah both. ratio of volume to surface area
>>
Hey, guys. I'm building a fairly large aquaponics system. At the moment I have everything I need, but if I expand what is the cheapest possible growbed per square foot? My current plywood boxes with plastic liner is nearly $5 per sqr/ft.
>>
>>931924
I did not say that a venturi effects the amount of water a pump moves. Maybe I wasn't that clear but I'm not sure how you inferred that from my sentence.

From personal experience I think converting a water pump into a venturi shortens the life of the water pump. I don't know how or why but I will continue to believe this. Maybe its back pressure on the pump.

I think for less electrical cost the average air pump moves more water in terms of overall circulation while adding air at the same time.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.