[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So guys I had a motorcycle accident a while ago I had to do a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4
File: Kawasaki_ER-5_2.jpg (288 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Kawasaki_ER-5_2.jpg
288 KB, 1440x1080
So guys I had a motorcycle accident a while ago I had to do a evasive maneuver with a following emergency break due a pedestrian crossing the street while red light which caused my bike to slide right away under my ass. Bike has obviously taken some damage which is to my luck only cosmetic .Most of damage like speedometer and the bent breaking handle is already taken care of. In the process of sliding away under my ass my front break handle bent over and hit my gastank twice leaving two small dents and the paint just broke off so I wanted to put some putty on the dents to fill them up and repaint the two small dents. Since I'm not a painter I wanted to ask how to fix this dents the best way since I am scared of rust eating a hole in my gastank I already cleaned the dents and put some grease on them to prevent corrosion , since the paint broke of I was wondering if a have to apply a primer before I put the putty in the dents and repaint them I read online that there are some puttys which have the primer attribute
so I dont need to apply primer.I am aware of the process of cleaning the dents and grinding them before putting the putty on I Just dont know if I have to use primer and which putty is the best dor this job
also the bike is a Kawasaki ER500A I will include pictures of the damages. I hope you can help me.
>>
File: IMG_20160110_161448.jpg (125 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160110_161448.jpg
125 KB, 1440x1080
>>929717
>>
File: IMG_20151108_181622.jpg (138 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151108_181622.jpg
138 KB, 1440x1080
>>929719
>>
File: IMG_20160110_161426.jpg (98 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160110_161426.jpg
98 KB, 1440x1080
>>929721
>>
>>929723
Well that are the pictures I have for you
>>
>>929725
Dents are realy tiny like 1,4cm x 1 and 1cm x 1cm
>>
Go on YouTube and look up Ichiban Moto. He covers dent dedenting and repainting.
>>
>>929750
I've never been a body guy, but I have talked to a few and have seen them work many times.

What they do is get the debt as close to the normal shape as they can and fill it with Bondo. Sand the area first, then paint. A place like sherwin Williams should be able to make a paint based off the original factory color. You could even do a slightly different or contrasting color if you want something custom. Now would be the time to do it. I believe SW still makes rattle cans too.

One common method to bend the dent back out is to get behind it and use metal blocks with different shapes with a hammer to push it out. Another is a spot welder that welds a metal stud to the affected area, then a slide hammer is used to pull it back in place. The stud is then cut off and grinded flat.

Really, this can be as easy/cheap or hard/expensive as you want. You could literally just sand the are free of paint, fill with bondo(that may fall out if you use too much in a single area), and brush a clear coat over it. Or you can sand the whole tank, pull the dents back outs, fill with Bondo, sand to shape, get an hvlp setup, prime it, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, clear coat, sand, cc, sand, cc, sand, buff.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.