[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not sure what to do from here. I covered some furniture with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: IMAG0132.jpg (4 MB, 2514x2016) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0132.jpg
4 MB, 2514x2016
Not sure what to do from here. I covered some furniture with plastic sheets and then went to town sanding the drywall mud on the ceiling.

I opened a window and put a big fan in it to blow it out but that didn't do anything.

The carpet is getting replaced but I don't know how to get the plastic off without burying the furniture.

Any tricks from here?
>>
>>928723
For a cool sciencey solution that might not work, rub the plastic with a microfiber cloth until it becomes statically charged (if it zaps you, you have to start again). That way the dust will stick to the plastic when you move it and hopefully not become airborne.

For a more down to earth solution, get a spraybottle of water and spray lightly mist the plastic. Wet dust will stick together and not create a huge plume when you agitate it.
>>
>>928727
Wetting it is a good idea, thanks.
>>
Shop vac and a 6 pack
>>
>>928730
I have a shop vac that shoots everything in the air out of its back, are they supposed to do that?

Maybe it needs it's filter replaced?
>>
>>928731
They are absolutely not supposed to do that. Some have a feature where they do allow you to shoot it out the output, but there's supposed to be a way to turn that off. Either by a cap of some sort or something. Look around inside it to see if there's a way to block that hole if you don't have a cap. You could always be a dick and attach another hose to the back and blow it out the window into your neighbors yard.
>>
>>928729
Obviously once you've wet the dust you should fold the plastic in such a way that the dust covered surface is contained inside before you pick up the whole sheet. Don't just grab one end and rip the whole thing off or you'll get mud on the couch. Left side fold it 2/3 of the way to the right edge, right side fold it so it's flush with the new left edge, then repeat for the top and bottom edges until your have square of folded plastic with the wet dust inside.

If you're super worried about the furniture you could wipe off all the wet dust with cloth or paper towels, but that's kinda pointless if you're going to be careful with how you remove the plastic.
>>
>>928730
wetting the dust and folding the plastic is going to be way easier and more effective.

Use the shopvac afterwards to vacuum up any stray dust you missed.
>>
Thanks for the input.

I'll suck most the loose dust out of the carpet, mist and fold the plastic before removing and then hit anything left with the vacuum once more.

Thanks for help. Going to delete this thread in a few.
>>
>>928739
It'll be more efficient, yes, but leaves opportunity for the furniture to get contaminated by the remaining dust. I wouldn't want to wet down the entire room for the sake of saving a couple hours, that could create other issues.
>>
>>928723
Use a blower to knock some of the dust off the furniture before removing the plastic. Drywall dust is so thin that even a hairdryer would do.
>>
File: IMAG0133.jpg (1 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0133.jpg
1 MB, 1520x2688
Thanks for the help yesterday. It went pretty smooth.

I ended up building a bong out of my shop vac to separate the drywall dust so I could vacuum, got the carpet and the corners, then spritzed the plastic and peeled it off slowly. Little bit still went airborne but not bad at all.

I also pressurized the room best I could to blow dust out the window. Blocking the door with towels I turned the ac to fan only to blow air into the room and left the window open with a fan blowing out.

Thanks for the help. Here is vacuum, found the design on Instructables.
>>
>>928731

Even if the shop vac is working properly, running it inside a room with a bunch of loose dust is going to be a circus. Wet down the dust. And put the vac outside a window with a long hose so the air exhaust doesn'r just make a bigger mess.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.