[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm making my first foray into DIY by trying to build myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot (45).png (167 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (45).png
167 KB, 1920x1080
I'm making my first foray into DIY by trying to build myself a nice new desk.

Pic related is my design.

Just looking for any constructive criticism or pointers on the design.
Also any advice concerning materials and joins would be greatly appreciated, too!

I'll post rough measurements ITT if anyone is actually interested, and FYI one end of the desk will be attached to a wall.
>>
>>921584
Looks good op.
Don't know much about materials but you local hardware store might be able to help you out.
Also google.
>>
>>921600
Thanks, I'll look into it.

I had no idea /diy/ was such a slow board.
>>
I would put a wood nosing on the front of the desktop and miter it into the side pieces. Figuring the desktop will be plywood or mdf depending on your budget.
>>
>>921584
the corner on the far right needs support, if it is not attached to a wall

otherwise, structurally ok
>>
>>921742
>I would put a wood nosing on the front of the desktop and miter it into the side pieces.
Sounds tricky but I will give it a go.

>>921744
I'll probably attach the whole length of the right edge to the wall with a bracket.
>>
>>921584

This is typical of most designers. They never consider the actual manufacture of what they're designing.

Looks great but you're going to have a right fun time putting it together.

>in b4 it won't be that hard to build
You're right but I'm presuming OP has no experience in any kind of manufacturing
>>
>>921772
>I'm presuming OP has no experience in any kind of manufacturing
Pretty much. However, I will have some help from my Dad who is an engineer, and is pretty handy.
>>
>>921584
disregard the structure problem, that is a rather bad design, the shelf is bad to place under a desk unless you have specific use eg computer for it, also random two round poles = loldesign, the top shelf has too much fins and not enough bracing, it will collapse like a domino sideways, also the random angling in the front = justwhy?
>>
>>921816
>the shelf is bad to place under a desk unless you have specific use eg computer
It's for my computer

>random two round poles = loldesign
Not sure why, but regardless it needs to remain open for the front intake of my computer. I also happen to have a steel pole in my garage that I can get cut to length.

>the top shelf has too much fins and not enough bracing
Agreed. I'll be adding a thin sheet of plywood to the back for stability.

>also the random angling in the front = justwhy?
Cus it looks good.
>>
>>921752
>bracket
I'd go for a 1x1 inch (or possibly wider) screwed to the wall to support the desk along its entire right hand side
>>
cheeky bump for more responses
>>
>>921584
If it's your first DIY don't expect it to look good, or turn out like your pic, or hold the weight you need it to.

I just built my own because I got tired of not having one for like 2 years. Simple as fuck, but I could have a 400lb dude jump up and down on it (had to laugh at the carpenter guy who saw me at HD and said "it'll never hold up" when he saw my cart full of 2x6 lol) and it cost me like MAYBE $20 of material. I'd suggest you do the same, unless you want to showcase your new desk to get laid or something. Just buy a few 2x6, maybe a 2x4 for the less important parts, and a piece of smoother plywood for the surface, and sand the shit out of anything you're gonna touch. If you're really picky you can give it some finish for probably another $10. The most expensive part is the sand paper, as long as you've already got the tools.

>>921737
It's notorious for being one of, if not THE slowest board. Really annoying when /b/tards come here and bump all to hell.
>>
>>922281
>Really annoying when /b/tards come here and bump all to hell.
I'll keep that in mind.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.