[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well, I went out a few hours ago and sat on a massage chair.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: F7JFH9OF5Y3YRHB.MEDIUM.jpg (29 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
F7JFH9OF5Y3YRHB.MEDIUM.jpg
29 KB, 620x465
Well, I went out a few hours ago and sat on a massage chair. The way the chair put pressure on my calves made me wonder if you could make artificial "muscles" which worked with air. Once I got home I googled "pneumatic muscles".

I've been reading about them a bit but I'm not an engineer, so, /diy/, tell me about em. What are they commonly used for? I also read the proper term is PAM in wikipedia, is that also used as the common name? And finally, would it be possible to make a prosthesis which felt closer to an "actual" leg with them?
>>
If I remember correctly, those are really hard to control accurately, which is necesary for any type of artificial limb. Plus, you need a compressor to move them, making a PAM prosthetic very unwieldy.
>>
>>921066
human muscles work in pairs, your brain has a feedback loop that controls proportionally the extension of each muscle to move and hold in the right position.

if you fill an air muscle with air it would go from one extreme to the other.
you would need to control dynamically the pressure in the 'muscle' to set the position and then adjust it continuously as you change the outside loads and forces.

but yeah, it would work kind of
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.