[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rate my Xmas gift.. >DEWALT 20V MAX* Lithium Ion Compact Drill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 4
File: 885911209809.jpg (95 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
885911209809.jpg
95 KB, 900x900
Rate my Xmas gift..
>DEWALT 20V MAX* Lithium Ion Compact Drill / Driver Kit
>>
spam/10
We're about projects, not products.
>>
>>919770
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHCS7JXfuv0
For the price? Ga'bage.
>>
>Dewalt

Kek. Enjoy your plastic fantastic garbage.
>>
>>919773
This guy is a fool.
>>
>>919817
>talking shit about AVE
>buying dewilt
>>
>>919770
>Not in the XR (20v max) or XRP (18v) model.
It will work okay, but it's a ripoff in price. Non-XR tools are slightly better Black and Decker.
XR/XRP will survive construction work until you want to upgrade.
>>
>>919817
>Talking shit about AVE

>>>/out/
and I don't mean the board.
>>
>>919821
>>919845
He doesn't know what he is doing or what the fuck he is talking about.

>I'm going to take this apart and make up names for things as I go along
>Woops, I can't figure out how to put it back together lol
>It's shit though, trust me

Yeah fuck off m8--most dewalt drills made these days have 5+ years of heavy use built into them, and even after that they will still soldier on.
>>
>>919817
Dewilt cuckboy
>>
>>919845
If you really think AVE is good it is you that should leave, you dirty tripfag.
>>
>>919863
I worked at a Dewalt service for a few weeks, I've had a good number of them opened up.

Nothing really wrong with their drills.
Quite a bit of a difference between them and Black & Decker tools, considering we don't even repair the B&D Cordless Drills, unless all that needs to be done is replacing the chuck.

The Dewalt ones that came in were either worn to the point where the case didn't hold the magnet in place properly (and that's easily nigger rigged by wrapping some electrical tape around it to make it seat tight) or the battery charger was faulty and they sent in the full case (drill & charger).

I like AVE though, reasonably entertaining and educational. If anything, I might have an issue with his Arduino romance.
>>
>>919863
The chuck was fucked from thw get go and nothing else in the whole drill justified its $200 price point.
>thinking a double ended nut fucker is a made up tool.
>>
>>919770
As always, it depends what you are going to do with it.
For /diy/ its fine, for professional use, it will last a year or two depending how much and hard you use it.

The chucks get shitty pretty quick. The batteries don't last. The drills will probably keep turning though.

And for AvE, the problem with some of his tool reviews is he concentrates on the wrong things some times. I think its because he seems to come from a heavy industry background. Not every tool needs to have a super big robust awesome sealed bearing. Otherwise hes awesome.
>>
My furniture company initially equipped 6 upholsterers with Bosch. After a couple of years, give or take they all died and we replaced them with Dewalt. More robust, lasted significantly longer but when they fizzled out we tried out Makitas. Had to replace two of six so far since 2009/10. By far most durable yet and the lads say they want Makita replacements when they need them.
>>
>>919896
True say. I've used makita for years and the only thing I'd replace them with is hilti.
>>
>>919889
Translated from american.
As always it depends on the size of you hobby shop.
For a small hobby shop that works with wood it's fine. But this is a high production hobby shop. This thing is useless with a two hundred pound gorilla on it.

The chuck is gahbage. The batteries too. The motor is pretty skookum though, I'll give it that.

As for that Canadian fuck, I think he's alright. Sure, he points out shit more than good, but that might be some brand loyalty. I think he's spent a little too much time in the mine, the coal dust or the snus has gone straight to his brain. Probably got hit with a thumb detecting nutfucker on the head a few times. Every tool needs to be skookum as frig, and have super skookum double sealed unobtanium low friction bearings and machined gears, otherwise it's useless.
>>
>>919906
I'm Canadian, just not a redneck.
>>
>>919910
>the joke was I was translating to AvE-speak
>>
>>919773
>the ave guy who uses a sander on car rotors
He's a charlatan
>>
>>919770
8/10 would build shit with

im a contractor, i have some of the dewalt 20v stuff. im impressed with it. i traded up a few months ago from their 8+ year old 18v line.

the new tools are so much lighter with the lithium batts, it makes a huge difference to me.
>>
>>920323

Still aren't as light as the makita bl lithium stuff. Not even considerably.
>>
>>919817
DeFault go home
>>
I bought my Dewalt drill at Costco when they had a sale with a coupon for free battery.

Worked OK for as long time but the two batteries that came with it are now not always charging right so I want to replace the batteries inside or just get a new drill/impact driver duo instead
>>
>>920443
Only a 14.4 ni cad batteries also. Im probably lucky it lasted 12 years
>>
I have the Vacuum Dwalt with the 20 V. Good life in battery.
>>
Every real Man ive worked with had it.
Nice present.
Youve been a good boi
>>
I can get either one of these, or several different kinds of 18v makitas on discount. Which should I pick?
>>
>>920507
Anything brushless.
>>
>>920507
Milwaukee Fuel nigga
>>
Is the dwalt table saw any good?
>>
>>920541
7491rs
>>
grats man I personally love dewalt I got a 20v xrp drill driver set my 18vs Havnt skipped a beat in 4 years and they weren't the brush less ones I'm a roofer and I've never see a brand able to take so many falls and still work
>>
>>920445
Just get the new ones, your old drill owes you no more
>>
File: IMG_20151227_080542.jpg (80 KB, 1080x280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_080542.jpg
80 KB, 1080x280
>>920523
word
>>
Into the traaaaasssshhhhhhhh.
>>
dewalt 18v xrp's are diy friendly.
the drills and batteries both can be re-built with parts from the internet.

try rebuilding the new 20v brush-less motors, and sealed lithium ion batteries.
>>
>>920789
>up to 10x longer
>up to
>doesn't say what it's longer than

it's the current year, do people still fall for vague advertising shit like this?
>>
>>920909
>>doesn't say what it's longer than

If you read the fine print on the site, its compared to its brushed motors.
Probably comparing it to the time when you need to replace brushes.

Ive used both, and they very clearly run longer and are more powerful than their brushed Milwaukee drills.

I prefer the Milwaukee Chucks to Dewalts chucks, and MUCH prefer them over the Makitas chucks.
>>
@331#5&b?<8
>>
>>920912
i personally prefer the converse chucks
>>
>>919770
Why does your drill have tank treads
>>
File: 501852_xl.jpg (109 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
501852_xl.jpg
109 KB, 1000x1000
>>920541
>>920541
The Bosch is better in the same price range. I've had both. Prefer the Bosch.

GTS10XC(UK).
>>
UKfag here to
I'm waiting to January but I'm looking at:
Evo Rage 3s saw £150
Clarke belt sander £100

anyone recommend anything better?
Also after a hand-held sander but I can pick on up for £10 of Gumtree / ebay
>>
File: IMAG0508.jpg (3 MB, 5376x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0508.jpg
3 MB, 5376x3024
>>921443
Anything other than evolution is better.

I've recently had pic related as a replacement for the evolution rage metal cut off saw.

The build quality is shoddy and just don't last very well. I think got about 18 months out of the evolution after changing the brushes 3 times, a new clamp handle and a new switch rewire.

Honestly save up and get a Bosch or makita or even a dewilt.
>>
>>921443
Also what kind of sander? I recently bought an erbauer random orbital from screwfix and it's brilliant.
>>
>>921448
http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-bts800-152mm-sander-linisher-240v/62492

Basicly this but Clark I saw for £100, all the same shit I guess.

Evo slides and does bevels, the equivalent of Bosh are like £230...
>>
>>921451
plus i cuts wood and metal with one blade.
>>
>>921451
It's up to you what you spend your money on but I have first hand experience with all mentioned brands and evolution are terrible. Yes they're cheap but the reason will quickly become evident.

I can't speak for the scheppach but I think a lot of that stuff is rebadge stuff.
>>
>>921453

Any TCT blade regardless of sales pitch will cut metal or wood.
>>
>>921456
>TCT blade
>>921457
ok, I have a week or two to research more
thanks for the advice.
>>
>>921460
Don't confuse the fact I said any TCT blade will cut wood or metal and spending £100 or £300 on a saw. The blade cut quality will only be as good as the saw you use it with. Anyone can stick a saw blade on an arbour of a motor, it doesn't mean it's a good saw.

If you're into woodwork I'd consider a table saw over a sliding mitre anyway.
>>
>>921464

This with simple jig you can easily get a table saw to cut mitre all day long. And after a building a few jigs the table saw becomes significantly more flexible than a sliding mitre.

That said if you want portable and quick chops then a sliding mitre is very handy.
>>
>>921468

Yeah and a simple way to lose fingers.

I'll forever stand by saying spending real money on tools will always be worth the satisfaction of build quality and safety in the long run.

But whatever. I've seen it all before now. I've seen people lose fingers. Your money, up to you.
>>
>>921471

Be an ass with any tool and you can loose a finger. A properly built jig will help keep your hands clear of the blade and even above blade level.
>>
>>921464
How about this?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gcm800sj2-216mm-sliding-mitre-saw-240v/3728j#product_additional_details_container
With a better blade?
>>
>>921464
yeah also more into metal work...
recommend a blade for me?

you might have guessed I'm new to tools, I've just been using thousands of pounds worth of machinery at work, so just starting out at home.
>>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-PCM-8-S-Sliding-Compound-Mitre-Saw-with-Laser-Guide-216mm-Blade-1200w-240v-/161855682883?hash=item25af59b943:g:XCEAAOSw14xWLkGv

or this? Not that i have a budget, but it's just for diy and making simple metal work / frames.
>>
>>921476
If you're into metal work I don't think sliding compound mitres are what you want. The saw I posted is ideal for metal work. If you're looking to cut flat metal sheet then a bandsaw or plasma cutter might be more suited.

http://m.screwfix.com/p/makita-lc1230-1-1650w-305mm-chop-saw-110v/10169?kpid=10169&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%2520-%2520Power%2520Tools-_-Shopping%2520-%2520Power%2520Tools&gclid=CjwKEAiA2IO0BRDXmLndksSB0WgSJADNKqqo0cLJovJMH-0eW-UMgqQ8a3FHfW3M5AbgQRuA2u0AHxoCWWrw_wcB
>>
>>921480
I do also work with wood, such as the 2.5 meter table I just made with two benches, which is why i need the larger cut size and duel blade.

I use all forms of metal, sheet, angle, box whatever and I do have a hand held plasma cutter and possible access to a laser cutter soon and cnc plasma. But just for cutting down and 45 angle to make basicly a picture frame, something like the bosh would do?
>>921480
that's twice the price and does half the things the bosh does???
>>
>>921481
>twice the price

I don't know what you want to me to tell you. I posted a photo of that saw on top of a bosch table saw after telling you I'd replaced an evolution cut off saw.

I've got a dewalt 355 abrasive cut off saw and a makita 255 sliding compound mitre saw too.

Tools aren't cheap and some are better than others when it's task specific.

One tool might be OK with a lot of things, just not good enough for me, I like to buy good tools that are task specific.
>>
>>921481
>>921482

I suppose if you're trying to say you're using primarily metal box sections and RSA then I'd go for the makita I linked to. It's robust and suited to metalwork. It will also let you cut 45 mitres.

You might also want to consider an engineering bandsaw but tha majority of tasks the cut off saw will be plenty enough.
>>
Everyone chatting shit about dewalt here...why? Commercial roofing company I worked for employing 100 people used dewalt.
>>
>>921521
Because it's not as good as its name leads you to believe
>>
>>921557
The name doesn't lead me to believe anything. Dewalt impact drivers are really good imo. Drills are ok too but I use them a lot less so don't have much of an opinion. Seen them survive 20ft falls down a roof and be working fine. Battery life was fine. Felt very nicely balanced in the hand. I'm just curious if I'm missing something? Two older guys on the site used Makita everyone else was using dewalt.
>>
>>921568
I'm not saying they're bad. Dewalt as a brand have a rich history that currently I don't feel is met and along with that other manufacturers produce better products.
>>
>>921521
just wait till all the 10-15 year old USA and Mexican made saws get replaced with the Tawainese ones that are being sold now.
>>
>>921601
I wasn't talking about saws I was talking about drills. I've worked in both NYC and London and the majority of people seem to use dewalt.
>>
>>919805
This
>>
>>921637
>I wasn't talking about saws I was talking about drills.

After seeing the quality of their saws significantly drop, what makes you think they wont move their drills manufacturing over too?
>>
>>921703
No idea mate. I might buy a dewalt combi and impact driver before that happens then. Seem the best choice atm for someone on my budget. Also the practicality of everyone using dewalt means you can borrow batteries a lot easier. Don't wanna be the only person on site using milwaukee/bosch ect.
>>
>>921763
>everyone
You mean fanboys. Honestly I've seen people wearing dewalt clothing head to toe.
>borrow batteries
I'd tell you where to go. There's nothing worse than someone who borrows tools.
>>
Sup fags, so I went and brought that Evolution Rage 3s today.
It's perfect.
I did read reviews from 1 start to 5 strat all fucking 30 pages, and I can not see a defect or problem with mine, it's level, tables are level, everything in the box, nothing it bent, blade is fine, already cut 6mm C67 steel with it, everything holds down and the lazer works.

This thread will be long gone before I can give long term feedback but, it seems all good so far, and not that anyone would care.
>>
>>921774
Yeah because it's brand new. Give it 12 months.
>>
>>921825
what can happen in 12 months? I don't understand, things become loose? Tighten them up, keep them straight and in-line, I don't know how long a blade is suppose to last. It's only got three moving parts... what can go wrong?

None of the bad reviews where from people who had had the making a long time, all the bad reviews where within a week of owning it or straight out the box and not knowing how to adjust or set them up, because they don't take the time to read and look at things.
>>
>>921826
OK mate. Like I said previously I've got all kinds of saws from all kinds of manufactures. I've got a 15 year old makita mitre saw that cuts better and more accurately than an 18 m/o evolution. Crack on tho lad, I only gave my opinion from first hand experience.

The evolution steel working (blue badge)saws were a lot better. I had one of the 355 ones for a while but still nowhere near as good as the dewalt or makita.
>>
>>921830
I understand, you just come to expect aresehole on here so you get use to talking to people like... their arseholes.
I do respect your view but you sound a lot more professional and more in need of a good saw than myself.

Only time can show me now.
>>
>>921768
>You mean fanboys.
I mean 80-90% of the people on the sites I've worked on use dewalt.
>I'd tell you where to go. There's nothing worse than someone who borrows tools.
With that sort of attitude I'm sure you'd last long on site anyway. What would the boss say when some fuckboy is slowing down the job by not lending someone a fucking battery. You, would be the one told where to go.
>>
>>921927
I've worked on site for 12 years and I work for myself. That's why I don't buy dewalt or lend out batteries.
>>
>>919770

Buys expensive 18volt drill with batteries that have shorter lifespans than what they are replacing and cost twice as much.

Nah, I"ll keep my traditional 18V Dewalt equipment.
>>
>>921927
Oh and just for the sake of saying so, batteries, spanners, drill bits, pens, markers, whatever. If you have to borrow it's unprofessional. And there is nothing, there is nobody worse than the kind of person that turns up to a job and isn't equipped and has to borrow.

Christ you're embarrassing.
>>
>>921927
What would the boss say when some fuckboy turns up to work with flat batteries and no charger?
>>
>>921992

I'd have to disagree, as a machinist getting into the field I usually have to borrow some tools, but they are the ones that are generally too expensive for one to buy unless they were using them continuously. Such as a 12" micrometer. I'd only use it once every few months, its cheaper for the shop to have it on hand than for me to buy a 1-12 set on my own. Instead I have my 1-3" set that covers 99% of my work that needs a mic.

Boring heads are another thing that are too damn expensive to own yourself.

That said if you are a contractor, you should have 99% of the tools you need in your truck 100% of the time.
>>
>>921989
Fair enough if you work for yourself. One of the things I like about working in construction is the comradery and helping each other out though. Goes both ways but I'm not gonna get pissed off with anyone as long as they give my shit back.

>>921992
Just for example I'm a roofer so might only use a spanner once a year? I'm not going to go out and buy a full set of spanners and carry them between jobs. If I need one I'll ask someone else on site, even from a different company and there is rarely a problem. Also If I'm 20ft up a ladder and the gangbox is on the other side of the site I might ask someone to throw me up a battery to finish what I'm doing. Stuff like pens or essential tools such as tape measures, tin snips etc. I will always have myself, as does everyone else. Also the labourers don't have to have their own tools so anything they need is always borrowed.

>>921993
Completely different story but probably call them out on it and make sure they brought their shit the next day. Most of the time though this stuff is left on site in the gangbox.
>>
>>921998
Well I am a contractor and if you are a a machinist, presuming somewhere between CNC lathe operator or horizontal bore operator and everything after, the chances of you needing a dewalt cordless drill are slim, especially if 12" micrometers come into use.

I've got a few micrometers but the biggest is 8" and I've never considered a cordless drill being needed for anything I'd use a micrometer for.
>>
>>922015
Oh and also if I know a job will require me to have a specific tool for the next few days/weeks, that I don't usually need I'll buy one as soon as possible.

There's a lot of different attitudes on site and some people don't like helping others. I got shouted at by my foreman in the past for helping people from other companies but it always comes back as people are then much more willing to help you back. Basically just don't be a dick.
>>
>>922020
>be a dick
>help others

There's a reason behind it. Politics play a massive part on site, you just don't see it because you don't sign pay cheques.
>>
>>922022
Of course I see that but if someone needs to move a load of shit before I can start my work I'm gonna help them rather than stand around chatting or pretending to be doing something. If someone is about to break their back lifting something I'll help them rather than be a dick and walk past them. These same people will then help me whenever needed so no time is lost when you look at the bigger picture. Everything runs smoother and people are happier and get along better.
>>
>>922032

My brother in law and another one of my employees share your same sentiment. While I agree with all three of you to an extent I have witnessed and had to rectify and punish for moments where they thought they'd ad nothing to do where there could have been so much more they could have been doing in their own field. There is no reason why I am paying a mason a days wage to do some masonry and have him spend half an hour to an hour throwing cement off the back of a truck when he has a rendering profile to setup and the cements ruck, although missing a laborer can afford to offload a little more slowly at no cost to the project.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.