[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want to start whittling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (518 KB, 2032x2028) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
518 KB, 2032x2028
I want to start whittling but have no idea where to start, any help would be appreciated. I'm specifically interested in the tools I'll need.
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=whittling+tools&l=1
>>
File: 50101b7f99af9.preview-620.jpg (191 KB, 620x594) Image search: [Google]
50101b7f99af9.preview-620.jpg
191 KB, 620x594
>>919700
Big package of band aids. Then select your wood, then your knife and sharpening methods. Sounds interesting. I might try someday myself with the idea of working up to chainsaws and stumps.
>>
>>919700
>http://lmgtfy.com/?q=whittling+tools&l=1

You're also going to have to learn how to sharpen those tools.

But yes, whittling tools are a specific type of knife. The knife in your pic is not a normal pocket knife.
>>
Wood carving 101 copypasta.

To get started, get a basic carving/whittling knife and a good set of sharpening stones. Don't get a super expensive knife; do get quality stones, and learn how to use them. You'll ruin your first tools while learning to do your own sharpening, so buy your investment tools later.

The wood carving knife is the only tool you ever *need*, so start with that and master it. Buy more specialized tools as you get the hang of things and figure out what you need for the kind of carving you do. Generally, don't buy kits- get good tools, one or two at a time, as you need them. You'll also want some kind of saw for sizing your wood, and probably a coping saw and a drill.

If you want to experiment, then buy a cheap tool kit at Harbor Freight or something to try em out, but don't buy permanent tools that way. You'll be far too picky about your tools to bother with kits soon enough anyway.

For a workspace, you need a sturdy table and a way to clamp things to it. I used to have one in my apartment that was just a piece of plywood on a 2x4 frame screwed to the wall, so space and quality are not serious limits. "C" clamps or Jorgensen clamps are traditional, but one handed bar clamps have become my favorite. Do NOT go cheap on the clamps, they just break.

Start on soft woods if you can, like basswood or pine, but really just use whatever's handy. It can be very satisfying to make something incredible out of some beautiful exotic hardwood, but it's equally satisfying to find a piece of junk on the ground and reclaim it into something gorgeous. Bottom line is each piece of wood is different, even if it's the same species, so just learn to feel it piece by piece and you'll be better off then following any guide.

Carving is best learned by doing, and good luck
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.