[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Converting car seat to office chair
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: temporary-79[1].jpg (154 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
temporary-79[1].jpg
154 KB, 600x800
I want to user a junker car seat as an office chair. Plenty of guides and tutorials online, but none of them consider the center of mass of a car chair.

Should the mount be dead center of the car seat? Further back? I'd appreciate any input on this
>>
heh im doing the same chair

i would say, a little bit off center, close to the backrest, if you want to keep the hability to lean back a bit, if you dont want that and you want it point fixated, just use a plate and bolt it down on the middle

for my project, i am making the feet by myself with some angle iron, i want to make a standard 4 feet chair cause i want to make it "lazyboy" style, wich means, the hability to lean back...WAY back, and have a feet rest that also pops out as the backrest leans back
>>
>> 919684
Are you going to install wheels on it?
Do you know how much your seat weighs?
>>
File: Fiat_128_Rally_1972.jpg (162 KB, 843x501) Image search: [Google]
Fiat_128_Rally_1972.jpg
162 KB, 843x501
>>919690
yes i will, as soon i get another set, cause the ones i got are not mobile, they are fixed

as for the weight, the seat by itself doesnt weight much cause its totally stripped, no padding n shit, but, its also smaller than the one in your pic, my seat came out of a Fiat...BUT, i do have a larger seat like yours, first ill finish this smaller one to test and see what needs to be mod/change for the larger seat
>>
>>919696
Stripped the seat today and got a chair base with a sliding rail so I'll be able to adjust it's center of weight. Need to bolt a 50x50 board to it with 2.5 cm spacers to make room for the spring lever (or cut it off, not sure yet).
Will mount tomorrow and see how it goes.
>>
And another thing that affects stability: diameter of the base. Smaller and bigger bases exist. Typically the lighter, cheaper chairs have smaller ones, the more kinda executive ones have wider ones. Putting something as heavy as a car seat on it, you might want to use the biggest one you can get.
>>
>>920987
i have to clean the rails, they are hard to move cause all the rust and shit caught in there, but maybe ill just cut them, because of my setup, they wont do anything more than just add height, the other larger seat, i think i doesnt have them but if my current setup works with this smaller seat...i might just end using it for the bigger one, i just need to figure out the arm rests, my idea is that the arm rest, moves along with the inclination of the seat
>>
>>921135
I removed the rails from mine. The office chair mechanism I have has a clutch that let's you slide forward and back. I guess I'll mount the seat centered bur with the slide drawn back.
This way I'll be able to slide it forward and lean back without breaking my neck. That's the theory anyway
>>
File: silla.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
silla.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>921310
if you make it to slide back´n fort, you will break your neck cause you´re changing the balance point...i would suggest a fixed mount

this is the chair im using, its pretty small, i was thinking on doing the legs and frame in square tubing, but those are a bitch to weld, specially when you cant do 45° cuts to join the pieces, so ill be sticking to angle iron
>>
>>921930
I ended up getting another chair base, with a longer base. Seat is base is just at the right length. Connected to it with heavy duty zip ties to check the center point. I am able to lean back as far as in the photo without falling.
Lower then that and it's uncomfortable to get up.
>>
are you gonna add arm rests?
>>
>>922111
Yes. I went to a local carpenter and got a 50x50 plywood board. Going to bolt the seat and base to it. It's a a matter of picking an arm rest that i want and screwing that on. Or... Keep looking for a car seat with arm rests. So far I'm very determined not to pay anything for parts.
>>
Not judging but it looks some 3rd world mod.
>>
>>922211
In my case, it is, these office chairs are stupid expensive where i live, and i wanted something comffy and functional for long gamming sessions

I might do the arm rest of another piece of angle iron and send it to mill a slot trough the middle so i can make it slide along with the inclination of the backrest
>>
newbie here, I am interested in doing a new chair for my gaming room and I just see this post an thought it was a great idea. I was just wondering if any car seat is removeable os just a few.
>>
>>922319
also, is there a store where I can buy car seats? or how do you guys get yours? just take it off some old cars?
>>
>>919680
I've seen these done... guys built them where I worked at GM.

The post needs to be at center of chair mass. You can establish this roughly by balancing the chair on a 1 x 4 standing on edge. (called a knife balance or some such IRL.)

You'll need to pre-establish the back angle, then remove the adjustment so it stays the same "shape," since leaning it back will throw off the CG and probably land you on your back.
>>
>>922325
any auto store should have, either normal car seats or race "bucket" seats, but, trust me, its better and cheaper, go to a junk/scrapyard and get one from there, so you can have it upholstered and coushioning that fits your taste, thats why i stripped mine
>>
>>922319
all of them are removable
>>
>>922325
Just went to a garage near buy and asked for a seat. Had to take it out myself, but that's it. All seats are removable.
>>
>>919680
Have you people not heard of dxracer/akracing/need for seat?
>>
>>922403
i do, but you are doing the wrong question...the proper question would be

can you afford a dxracer/akracing/seat?

and the answer to that is...no...or at least, not willing to, because

1: they are...chairs....and not that comfortable
2: im a 3rd world fag, a regular chair is already expensive, one of those specific for gaming is stupid expensive where i live

my idea, is not only to have a chair, but also a "lazyboy" style couch that can recline, thats why im making a four leg setup, rather then the normal seat with the shaft setup
>>
I mounted a Ford seat (I forget the model, it was a target of opportunity at the U-Pull-It) to my old power recliner base.

I inherited the recliner and when the upholstery gave out I decided to blow the chair apart with a powered nut driver so I could move the pieces easily. After looking at the base I got a couple scrap pieces of 1/8" steel sheet from a bros machine shop and some hinges. I ditched the footrest since the linkage was bent and I didn't care for it, but you could leave it attached since they won't conflict with a car seat.

My house is a mess ATM so no pics, but you will get the idea if you have power recliner base and a car seat. No welding required, just drilling and bolting which suits me since I can upgrade the seat later on.

No furniture has the engineering involved in an auto seat, and the combination of recliner geometry plus seat adjustment is comfy.

A set of 3/8" drive metric sockets and wrenches covering the range of about 12mm to 18mm will pull most seats, but bring a few more tools like wirecutters and a knife.

While you are harvesting seats, look for goodies in the seat belt mechanism!

Recent autos often have ELECTRICALLY FIRED BALLISTIC SEATBELT RETRACTORS. You want any you can get. They fire a steel slug swaged to the seatbelt retractor cable inside a containment tube and are triggered by air bag activation switches (obviously they'll be dead if your donor vehicle fired its bags). They have serious power. We fired on in my bros machine shop and it shot a common pencil into a wooden wall several feet away! If you remove the end for the containment tube and slice off the visible wire cable you can fire it with a battery and (probably) a gas grill piezo igniter. I'll be hunting more for play value.
>>
>>922403
Thie is a diy project for me. Sure I can buy a finished product. But this has cost me nothing so far and the seat is really comfortable. I tried the gaming chairs at a shop that sells sim rigs and the like. They were ok, wasn't blown away.
>>
File: 06Rangerpretensioners.jpg (111 KB, 784x476) Image search: [Google]
06Rangerpretensioners.jpg
111 KB, 784x476
Pic of example "pretensioners" Note the wiring and distinctive tube.
>>
>>922461
Non-racing seats are much better for comfort and designed to stay that way for a few hundred thousand miles. Passenger side seats are usually the least worn.
>>
>>922465
That's my thinking too. No computer seat designed with that milage in mind. Also took out the driver seat first as a pilot. Could always come back for thr passenger seat. They're usually cleaner too.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.