[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calibrating a Digital Thermostat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: RT300RF.jpg (2 MB, 2362x1575) Image search: [Google]
RT300RF.jpg
2 MB, 2362x1575
How would I go about making a thermostat report a lower temperature than factory setting? Thinking maybe I could jam a tiny piece of metal in the side in the hope that it would act as a heatsink for the thermistor?

The control as pictured is just an up/down temperature setting, it isn't supposed to be taken apart and only has a dipswitch on the back to control reaction time. 2 degrees Celcius would be sufficient as I could raise the always-enforced 15C to a livable 17C and solve household arguments once and for all with a simple placebo.
>>
>>918542
>it would act as a heatsink for the thermistor?
Heatsinks don't magically make things a different temperature.

They just accelerate the rate that something's temperature conforms to ambient.

If you turned a cpu "cooler" upside down and put an icecube on the contact plate, it would make it melt faster.
>>
>>918542
Anyhoo, this thread has come up before.

Buy one that's exactly the same, then pair the existing controller with a new backend that does nothing, and the new controller with the existing backend.

Hide the new controller and backend.
>>
>>918544
Thanks, I'm not sure how to thermodynamics.

>>918545
Yeah I guess I could get a secret one. Thanks.
>>
>>918542
There is no way to make it show a different temperature than its actually sensing. Some thermostats have that function built into them but not that one. You will have to change the max heat setpoint to 17C in the options.
>>
>>918542
Turn the heat up you cheap bastard. Your family is freezing.
>>
>>918577
I *want* the heat up, read the post properly. : p
>>
>>918584
You don't say you want to raise the set point, you make it sound like you want to raise the display temp.
There's nothing you can do that isn't a bad idea and/or a significant amount of work.
>>
Take a paper towel get it damp (not wet) with cold water and hang it over the thermostat. Air entering thermostat now has to pass through a colder damp towel and will register as a lower temp.

We used to do this in college in one of the labs because it was always freezing.
>>
>>918611
This still doesn't solve OPs problem. OP wants it to display a warmer temp, not actually be warmer.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.