[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Replacing Gameboy cartridge Battery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: pk-07.jpg (135 KB, 850x520) Image search: [Google]
pk-07.jpg
135 KB, 850x520
sup /diy/

So X-mas is in a few days, and i found the *PERFECT* gift for my little brother, who just recently started getting into pokemon. My original Pokemon Blue cart! And my save file(which i poured more than 200 hours into) is still there too! Problem is, i bought it back in '98, so the fact that my save is still there is amazing enough, but its probably a matter of days/weeks before that battery that is keeping the save file dies.
I have all the parts i need to swap the battery out(Soldering iron, solder, the replacement 2025 battery) and i see there are ways to swap the battery out if you do the operation while its powered by a GB(advance, as you still need to have access to the top half of the cart. Orig GB/GBp/GBc ones block too much space to work the soldering iron into the right place)
Thing is, i dont have a GBA. I only have a GB pocket(also giving it to the brother. For an authentic late 90's experience) and a DS lite.

My question is, does anyone know if pluging the cart into a DS while doing to battery swap will also maintain its save? I dont know much electricity is actually transferred to the cartridge if it isnt actually booted(DS and beyond can only play GBA games) and it would really suck to find out after the battery is replaced that the save file was lost anyway.
>>
>>918210
I don't know about replacing the battery, but first I'd use a Pokemon Stadium (N64) cartridge and a transfer pack to backup all your pokemons (is that the plural for pokemon?) and then change the battery.

Also, maybe /vr/ will know better.
>>>/vr/
>>
>>918215
Pokemii
>>
>>918215
yeah, no N64/stadium/transfer pack... Plus that would be tedious as fuck since I had something like 80 pokemon(and 20 or so that were really high level)

I'll try asking /vr/, thanks for that suggestion.
>>
>>918210
I know for a fact this won't work, because full-height original gameboy cartridges won't fit in a DS-lite.
>>
>>918240
Yeah the DS Lite will cause some issues there but the pocket should do great
>>
>>918245
>>918240
Yep, Pocket should work fine.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Az89rPdt4Hg

The DS has physical keying to stop you even putting a gameboy cartrige into the slot.
>>
If I'm not mistaken the save in the cartridge needs a power source to perpetually hold the save, once the power is gone the save is too. I hope I wrong though good luck.
>>
>>918240
darn, you're right. Just tried. Theres a notch on the corner of GBA games.
Pocket cant work because the back of the system covers up the solder points you need access too, so unless i rip apart the GB, its a no-go.

Looks like my best option is to just buy a cheap GBA off kijiji or craigslist.
>>
>>918248
Yeah, i uinderstand that. If you do the swap while the cart is powered by a GBA though, it bypasses the internal battery. As long as the battery is replaced before you power off the game boy, it'll be fine.
>>
>>918210
what if you wired up a 3v battery/psu in parrallel with the old battery while you swap it out and replace it with a new one? I am sure it is possible to do so. You would just have to find the right places to put the wires.
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 203x121) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 203x121
>>918257
If I were doing it for a living, I'd scrap a damaged Gameboy for its cartridge slot, and power the whole lot from a battery-backed 5v regulated supply.

Actually that's a lie. I'd use a microcontroller and a pair of address latches, dump the data straight out and dump it back in again when I was done.
>>
So i've done this with most of my gameboy carts by now its pretty easy. heres some tips for you.

1) buy batteries that have the welded tabs. you can do it without but these make things a hell of a lot easier.

2) get a cheap game you dont care about. Open the game and swab the boards during the soldering operaiton. That way if you get too hot and melt the case a bit its a case you dont care about. (e.g. getting pokemon blue and tetris. taking the boards out of both games and housing blue in the tetris cart while you solder

3) you CAN keep safe files, however you need a GBA for this. Take the board, place it in the case you're going to use and leave the top half (the part with the sticker) off. Put the game in the GBA and turn it on. do the procedure as normal making sure you don't touch your gba or turn it off. The gameboy will supply power to the cart preserving your save files while theres no battery.
>>
>>918210

OP, I read somewhere about getting cables and attaching them to the + and - terminal then attaching those cables to a new battery, then you remove the old one.
>>
tons of tutorials on how to do this in google.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMBpsajVqho
>>
>>918210
If you're gifting it to your brother, wouldn't you want to wipe the memory anyway to clear it for his own saves?
>>
>>918210
Original GB games don't work in the DS slot for start, only GBA games do.

Also it shouldn't need to be changed on R/B/FR/LG. Only on G/S R/S/E where they use real time for specific events
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.