[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home Security System?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: burglar.jpg (135 KB, 1688x1125) Image search: [Google]
burglar.jpg
135 KB, 1688x1125
Does anyone have experience with designing their own home security system? I don't have a huge budget and am not necessarily looking for anything sophisticated. Just something to prevent Home Burglary.
>>
copper tire iron? fancy
>>
Experience? Not really.

But I'd like to talk about this regardless.
First up, could you be a little bit more specific regarding what you'd like to do here, basically the general scope of the operation.

Are you looking to basically just mix and match various purchased components? Would you like to fiddle about with electronics and build your own system from scratch?
You should clarify those sorts of things.

Then there's obviously the matter of budget and skills.
>>
>>917606
>Just something to prevent Home Burglary.
That is not a security system then. All they do is alert someone when someone is breaking in. Maybe its an audible alarm to scare them off, maybe its a call to a monitoring agency, maybe its just alerts you. To keep it from happening you need things like bars, shutters, security doors, etc. A sensor on a window and a bell aren't going to 'prevent' anything as they only go off after it has happened.
>>
File: Screenshot_20151220-131710.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151220-131710.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>917606
We have a standard monitored setup that we pay $25/mo for.

It does active monitoring on all doors and main floor windows, also the smoke and CO detectors.

On top of that I've put in my own IP cameras that record to a NAS when triggered by motion.

The NAS runs BlueIris to manage the cameras and recordings.
I've got one HikVision dome cam at the front door that runs over PoE, and two wireless 960p Foscams that I move around the house as necessary.
Pic related.
>>
>>917606
If you're trying to prevent burglary, you should not be concentrating on security, but on the /appearance of security/.

A home-made security system that detects and records all intrusion perfectly will only succeed in perfectly recording all your stuff being stolen.

This is because burglars will never have seen one before, and won't know it's a security system.

What you need to do is make your house look like less of an attractive target than your neighbours'.

To do this, you need things that afford the appearance of security, especially to people that aren't going to think that hard about it:

- Big, imposing locks with unusual keyways (disk detainers are good because they look like alien technology)
- Expensive-looking entryphone
- Big conspicuous alarm box somewhere visible to the street
- Visible, conspicuous CCTV camera(s)
- Window locks visible through the windows
- "Monitored by" window sticker somewhere conspicuous, even if it's a lie
- Big fuckoff bolts on any gates that lead to the back; big fuckoff padlocks on the bolts.
- If you have a shed, big fuckoff padlock on it
>>
Build a robo dog
>>
>>917610
Yeah sorry about that. I guess i'm looking for cheap preventative measures more than anything. I'm not really knowledgeable with wiring or anything sophisticated, but i was considering rigging a computer for a camera monitoring system. I've heard of things like trip wires that set off speakers to play fake dog barks that would scare burglars away. I guess i'm hoping to spend under $50 but i might be able to stretch the budget.
>>
>>917627
Wow...that actually seems pretty obvious. great advice. I'm leasing a new house so i'm not sure Ill be able to install new bolts, but ill ask.
>>
>>917642
For $50, your best bet is probably a motion-activated LED security light for every door of your property.

Make sure it's nice and bright.

No-one likes to try to break in under a spotlight, when they could be next-door under cover of darkness.
>>
>>917610
Its not a large house either. 2 bedroom 1 bath. Ill need to take another look to see how many windows and doors, i haven't even moved in yet.
>>
>>917622
This honestly looks like a great setup. Is this the kind of thing you really need to pay for monthly?
>>
File: s-l500[1].jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
s-l500[1].jpg
43 KB, 500x500
>>917646
Something like cgi.ebay.com/151910117908 : just search eBay for "PIR flood".
>>
Fishing line attached to some tin cans at entry points, or grenades if you live in the US
>>
>>917642
> i was considering rigging a computer for a camera monitoring system
You should look into Ispy. It allows you to use webcams as surveillance cameras. You say you have two bedrooms and one bath, thats what I have(apartment building, 1st floor). Here's what I use when I leave on vacation:
- laptop with ups source and Ispy, connected to the internet;
- 3 different types of webcams (living room, hallway, outside on the air conditioner, looking conspicuous as fuck, with a rain protection I made myself from cartboard and tape);
- 3 usb how do you call them, no longer than 3 meters, they make the distance from the cam to the laptop longer;
The cams record on motion, they save the recordings in my dropbox folder which uploads them on the cloud. I can check on the recordings on my phone. The laptop is in a drawer, it's hard to find unless you know it's there. It can eventually get stolen but by then the recordings are online.
Cons:
- no live feeding unless by remote from another computer;
- cheesy and winged as fuck;
- after a power outage longer than 3 hours both laptop and ups shut down, the internt shuts down imediatelly.
Pros:
- cheap as fuck;
- efficient as fuck;
- easy to install;
- diy.
>>
>>917609
That's a crow bar...
>>
>>917606
What do you want?

1: To be alerted the instant someone is trying to break in?
2: For the local authorities to be alerted?
3: To catch on film the perps?
4: Completely prevent any breakins?

I'm here to tell you can't prevent home burglary. What you can do and should do is:

-make your home unappealing to being burgled in the first place
-deter the burglars who are already trying to get in
-increase the amount of time it takes the burglars to get inside
-decrease the amount of time you and local authorities are alerted
-decrease the amount of time for the authorities to reach your home
-catch them on film (this helps cops and your lawyer should you need one)

The most important aspect is to "make your home unappealing to being burgled in the first place". Once you've done that, you've ruled out a great number of burglar types. Those people left over from that are the types who mean business because of a grudge against you or they are drugged/desperate up and don't give a fuck. Both types are the worst types.

If the burglar is drugged up and/or does not give a shit, the best thing you can do is get protected quickly and get the authorities there as fast as possible. Increasing the amount of time it takes for the burglar to get inside is key.

How you do these very few key elements is up to you and covered extensively online. One of the best ways to know how to protect yourself against breeches into your home is by watching the professionals do professional breeches and design your place to include the things that make it more difficult and longer to breech:

https://youtu.be/oPm9J3fU82c?t=406

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vLDCJk3wNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOPw94LYsgM
>>
File: robuk077.jpg (192 KB, 660x511) Image search: [Google]
robuk077.jpg
192 KB, 660x511
Big ass dogs
>>
>>917649
The only thing we pay for monthly is the monitoring of the security alarms at the doors and windows. So if they get tripped and not reset in 60 seconds, the police are called.

I installed and manage the cameras myself, but it was pretty technically involved. If you can set up a Windows machine (for BlueIris) on a network and know how to set up port forwarding, you should be able to get at least a basic setup. You can buy the wireless/wired Foscam cameras for $75 on Amazon, and I got the HikVision dome camera for $105 at AliExpress
>>
>buy big ass metal rat traps
>where the bar hits the bottom plate, drill a hole big enough for a shotgun shell
>Tie fishing line to trap trigger then set up across your back door.
When the crook comes to your door they'll blow their own feet off.
>>
>>917721
>3: To catch on film the perps?
Jew detected.
>>
>>917792
Cherokee, but whatever your agenda is, bro.
>>
>>917606
Trim all of the trees bushes and shrubs blocking your house from the neighbors. I know not seeing the neighbors might be desirable but from a security standpoint visibility (or lack there of) is key. Cut back as much as you can. A couple of loads to the compost yard outside of town will be the cheapest thing you can do, besides renting a truck to haul it or hiring somebody to do it, or both.
Improve the lighting: Replace old incandescent lights with bright LED lighting that lights up the street as well as your house. Pic related is one of the best investments I bought. These are affordable and are _very_ bright, they're rated at 800 lumens but hurt your eyes to look at them and think their more in reality.
Dummy camera. Monoprice has some nice dome cameras.
I don't doubt thieves can spot a dummy camera a mile away so it's nice that you can install your own camera apparatus in them and be very effective.
The thing with cameras is you have to have one that is good enough to provide police with an identifiable description in low light (face and license plate) so sample screen shots before you buy one is very important.
>>
File: IMG_0122a.jpg (188 KB, 444x592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0122a.jpg
188 KB, 444x592
>>917816
I didn't realize the original pic was so huge, here's a smaller one of the light fixtures. I've had them for about 6 months on timers. I forgot to mention that.
>>
>>917822
My lights automatically come on and turn off while keeping up with the average changing sunset and sunrise. Another important thing that isn't expensive. A term I've just recently seen for these switches is "Astronomic" lol. They can be tricky to program though so patience is needed. Testing them out by changing the time so they come on and of a few minutes away is handy to learn them, otherwise along with being confusing you are gambling if it's set right. I've installed different brands and although some are easier than others the programming can be tricky. Keeping a basic automatic setting is the easiest and reset it if you get it wonked up.
>>
Monitoring wise, a computer with a modem can dial 911 and then bleep at the operator. Internationally recognized signal of distress Is any signal repeated three times. Should be fairly simple to software side bleep a digit on the modem.
>>
hi there, im in the proccess of opening my motorcycle workshop and im trying to build my own security alarm with an arduino and a GSM module

my idea is, to put switches on anything that can be open, all door, including the interior ones, cause if they lets say, open a window, and the switch doesnt trigger, they will have to open on of the interior, wich will have another switch, so when this switch triggers, the GSM module will send an SMS to my cellphone, giving me the cue dat, someone forced his entry there, for security measure...well a gun, nothing more than that
>>
>>917735

I live in the Dutch countryside. Two belgian Malinois dogs trained and healthy, one 3 and one 8 years old plus a big doggy door to the garage has done the trick for me.

- When I am away I just leave them at home and my elderly neighbor feeds them and in return enjoys their protection and company as well. Neighbor has a hunting rifle and participates in training with the dogs so he knows how to command them if need be.

- My family has had malinois dogs for decades and whenever the old one dies a new pup is brought in so there is always an older one to give the good example of behaviour to the young one. This makes training easier as the pack dynamic makes sure to reward good and punish bad behaviour outside of training sessions.

- We keep them in a garage with a doggy door and they are completely free to roam the grounds. We trained them mainly as guard dogs but also taught them attack commands.

Besides the dogs we have a 1,5 meter high mesh fence with a water-filled ditch on the outside and blackberry bushes running along the fence enclosing the properties of me and my neighbor. A steel gate gives access to my driveway. The blackberries are delicious and I have more blackberry jam than any man should ever need.
>>
>>917634
I think a dog is the single biggest deterrent. If you could just make a sound sensor that plays a dog track over your speaker system that would do a lot. Better yet have it play 1 of 10 tracks at random.
>>
>>917909

If you were to use VOIP, you could create individualized recordings that play to the operator depending on which sensor is triggered: fire recording for fire alarm, security recording for motion sensors, etc. This could be something like a poor man's ADT.
>>
>>918272

A recording of a dog would work good. There are also light bulbs that simulate the light from a TV. You could put this bulb in a lamp, and set that lamp on a timer. If it looks like someone is home, they move on to the next house.
>>
>>917606
M8. Just get a CCTV kit, house alarm and make sure you have good door locks.

You can spend a fortune on security and it won't stop thieves.

I have a saying I use, if it's not too hot uts not too heavy. Point being. If they want it. They'll have it.
>>
>>918281
Most VoIP services don't support 911.
>>
>>917606
Got some door and window motion sensors as a deterrent and my guns.
>>
File: 1911.jpg (66 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
1911.jpg
66 KB, 736x552
>>917606
Can't go wrong with over 100 years of stoppin powah.
>>
>>917735
>>918088
You guys need to watch the Mythbusters episode on ways to distract guard/attack dogs. Although when undistracted they are a burglar's worst nightmare, it's not hard to put their attention on something else if you know what you're doing. The test dog was a trained police dog. And it was distracted by a juicy steak. Sorry guys, dogs aren't as reliable as you might think.
>>
>>918406
Works great when no one is home.
>>
>>917627
This
You can literally buy yard signs and stickers of almost any security company on amazon, ebay, etc., doesn't matter if you actually have that security system.
>>
>>917627
>look like alien technology
Kek
Surprisingly accurate description
>>
File: 1394660106633.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1394660106633.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>917606
>Home Security System?
hue hue hue
>>
>>917769
>DIY anti-personel landmine
That shit will get you in front of a jury
>>
>>918480
What does the big handle do?

Is it the barrel release?
>>
>>918547
carry handle, it is balanced there
>>
>>918550
Noone ever carries it by that handle (even though the manual lists it as a carry handle) because it fucks up the headspacing, seriously, don't do it. The handle is used for changing the barrel when hot
>>
>>917606
brussel white hallway ?
>>
>>917606

That is not how that tool is used.

0/10, would not burgle with.
>>
File: claymore+thumb1241068662.jpg (17 KB, 450x334) Image search: [Google]
claymore+thumb1241068662.jpg
17 KB, 450x334
>>917606
Put these everywhere
>>
>>917606
Copper tire iron? Fancy
>>
>>917606
I put abunch of tiny nails all over the floor, not nailed in but just thrown around. That way if someone tries to steal my car, they get a nail stuck in their shoes, which will cause more friction on the ground, that will make it harder to steal my car in myy house beacause all off the nails aRE STUCK IN THE FLOOR BECAUEW I THREW NAILSDfOIJ ALL OBER MY GUCCKING VLOOR@@@!!@@!@!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>917606
> Home Security System?
> Does anyone have experience with
> designing their own home security
> system? I don't have a huge budget
> and am not necessarily looking
> for anything sophisticated. Just
> something to prevent Home Burglary.>>917606 buy two Pakistani flags on eBay and raised them in the front yard, one at each corner, plus a black flag of ISIS in the center. Now, the local police, sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland Security, Secret Service and other agencies are all watching the house 24/7, mostly to protect my civil rights. I have never felt safer!
>>
>>918648
>Put these everywhere
Sentry guns are better. ;D
>>
american houses have the worst doors and windows. you guys are years behind europe in all things security lock systems. that and insulation.

but yeah go ahead and install those cameras.
>>
>>917606
1-2 dogs that like to bark. German Shepards are pretty good and seem to be natural guard dogs without any training. basically you want them to bark at whatever the fuck they happen to see or hear in the middle of the night. the dogs alone may not send someone running but they will wake you so you can defend your shit and yourself.

for when you're not home you really can't directly prevent someone from getting in but you can make it as time consuming as possible. time = risk so if they can't get in within a few min they will most likely just move on to an easier target. for that you want barred windows and some nice solid doors with good locks, preferably multiple deadbolts

also make sure your house isn't hidden by trees and other shit. if your neighbours or people from the street can't see your house a thief is more likely to be willing to spend extra time getting in since the risk of being caught is lower

motion lights outside help and it also doesn't hurt to leave some lights on so people think someone is awake or home. a TV wouldn't hurt either and i've heard they have some lights that can simulate the flashing of a TV

again you really can't stop someone from getting in if they really want to but you can make it not worth the risk. the only real exception is if someone has something against you and doesn't give a fuck about being caught and in that case you need something for self defence and easy access to call police
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.