[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Artistic fucking woodwork
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: wave cabinet.jpg (16 KB, 662x374) Image search: [Google]
wave cabinet.jpg
16 KB, 662x374
hey im a carpenter interested in quirky designs and i came across a piece today by Sebastian Errazuriz called the wave cabinet and im quiet amazed and would love to make it i get most of its design and could probably guess the rest but i want to know for sure how its done.

Pic related
>>
looks like furniture right out of riva 1920s shelf.
>>
File: 1449961541806.gif (691 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
1449961541806.gif
691 KB, 600x316
>>915908
https://vimeo.com/122102861

That is pretty neat.
>>
>>915908
behance has a lot of good stuff.
>>
>>915908
Looks like lots and lots of meticulously positioned mortise joints.
>>
File: .gif (691 KB, 590x393) Image search: [Google]
.gif
691 KB, 590x393
>>915908
I think this is more complicated than just a hinge for every stick, I guess there is some kind of pin and larger hole connecting adjacent sticks so they move together.

>>915924
Thanks for this anon, now I must build one.
>>
you can see a rope running lengthwise on the "lid" in the 90 degree joint. and a rope in the end as well. the rope allows one section to bring it neighbor with it.
>>
I've found myself watching several videos from a company (Pretty much just a guy) called Wolfe & Doucette. They're on youtube and he does handmade reproduction custom furniture. Lots of old style period pieces with beautiful wood, and the sweet sounds of hand planes running over cherry and maple table tops and pieces.

One of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzXwmqxMbxs
>>
>>915924
That gif is a great idea but wouldn't work.

There's nothing to stop the hinge closing while someone's stood on it. One broken wrist and hip later.
>>
>>916688

Add two drop-down fixers either side the hinge.

Most fold-out ladders have them at the top.
>>
File: gantry.jpg (43 KB, 350x253) Image search: [Google]
gantry.jpg
43 KB, 350x253
>how its done.

pic related
>>
>>916688
um, gravity will? if you're exerting the force that will close the top, then any regular stepladder would also flip over?
>>
OP here
>>916320
Thanks i didnt see that before, but thinking about it im wondering how it would fare in the long run with how the lid stiles stay rigid because surely after a while of rubbing they would become loose and just collapse i was thinking some lightweight rigid wire would be better, unless anyone has any better ideas or sees any problems with this

>>915962
yea i figured at the base for both upright stiles its a sort of loose half lap joint with a long ass dowel going through them all but you have have to get it fucking spot on for every one
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.