[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chiptunes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Chiptune-1.jpg (246 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Chiptune-1.jpg
246 KB, 700x525
I want to eventually make my own music using chiptunes. How do I go about this? I don't even know where to start. What are some good resources? I'm guessing I should first start with emulation then move onto using hardware.

Has anybody else here than anything with chiptunes?
>>
I used FamiTracker to do a few "8-bit" covers of a few songs I liked in a "Nintendo" style.

Its simple and easy to use also freeware so that's a plus.

A[art from that if you suck at general composition you can use something like TuxGuitar to get you started on writing in midi and than converting it to shittier midi...I mean chpune.

Post results.
>>
>>915862
get yourself a cheap usb midi keyboard and then do the rest in software.
>>
>>915862
Start by learning 6502 assembly, then write a player routine + tracker for your platform of choice. Or just get famitracker or something, if you want to be boring
>>
if you want to be faux tryhard 90's elite internet musician you want fast tracker II

it really is objectively the best unless your some tryhard faggot who wants to dance around stage with a gameboy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FastTracker_2

if you use an isa sound card with fast tracker II in dos or a dos based windows there is no emulation, your sound card is literally a synth and its being controlled by synth like commands and you can even whack your hardware directly into it and control it directly.

otherwise renoise is really good if you want to emulate things.

hipster faggots will still call you a faggot because you are not dancing with a game boy or using sound clips from zelda though. they have no fucking idea what they are talking about though.
>>
File: 2124496-ft2_002.png (10 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
2124496-ft2_002.png
10 KB, 640x400
>>916178
>>
Since i have no idea where else to ask where people might know.

Does anyone remember a file named m4$rb? it might not have been exactly that but pretty close to it, I believe the title in the file was 'm4 short range burst'. I haven't been able to find it for a decade or so, I believe it was a scream tracker file
>>
>>915862
Don't be a hipster and just use emulation.
>>
>>916190
that's the diy spirit.

I got a mos 6581 SID laying in wait for me to build a board for it.
I'm gonna control it with a cheap atmega board(arduino nano clone) and play it with a midi keyboard or sequencer

Its been done before, i have an original twist to it however.

i'm going to "break out" most, if not all the parameters, making them adjustable with pots. this means 30+ pots easy.
the chip has three voices with adsr, 4 waveforms(saw,sqr,tri and noise) and vol each. and a LP/HP/BH filter for the bunch, bypassable by each voice.

I'm also thinking of adding software lfo's, adding AM and FM.

I'm building it on a piece of thee island protoboard, following the schematic for this shield
http://www.banson.fr/wiki/doku.php?id=sidaster_shield

mostly for easy of testing. I'm not sure I'll use his code in the final stage.
being me and having a hundred other projects, i probably wont be anywhere near done until spring.
>>
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-SanJose/8700/P/GsorigE.html
>>
>>917281
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-SanJose/8700/E/
wrong link
>>
>>917284
>geocities
I was so happy to see this.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.