[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fixing a Torn Subwoofer with Duct Tape
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: DSCN3371a.jpg (415 KB, 2044x1516) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3371a.jpg
415 KB, 2044x1516
My ancient, $75 Walmart, surround sound system, subwoofer ripped along the side. I'll eventually get a new one, but damn, this quick fix with duct tape is actually quite good.

I've been using this to test it,
youtube.com/watch?v=cQHTcJYJRgQ

I don't know how long it will stay in place, but it sounds fine and handles deeper bass a lot better than it did its entire life. Anyone on /diy/ ever do ripped speaker repair?
>>
File: gonzo some of what%0A.jpg (79 KB, 1440x813) Image search: [Google]
gonzo some of what%0A.jpg
79 KB, 1440x813
>>915659
I used the sticky from a rolling paper once
>>
>>915659
don't get mad when your driver seizes up from too much resistance.
>>
>>915659
You do know a new surround costs about a much as the duck tape you used to fix it right? Thats the bit that tore, the surround. They are replaceable. You make me sad. You fucked up a speaker and didn't even do it the right way. You could have at least tried to fix the surround the proper way and, even if you fucked it up, you would have tried and probably learned something. Instead you went full redneck/nigger rig on it. Thats not what /diy/ is about.
>>
>>915752
>made in china
- to be fair, I doubt was worth renewing the surround in this case. Small tear in the cone itself, can get away with a bit of glue/silicone or something, building a new surround with gaffa, wouldn't do it on non-WalMart-tier drivers, but, its inarguably quick. Prob. did improve the response, while doubling the material value.
>>
>>915659
>Durabrand
No wonder you can't hear a difference with the duct tape, it was shitty to begin with! Durabrand is some of the absolute worst shit you can buy in a store.
>>
>>915659
Ignore all the haters - good on you bro.
>>
>>915857
No worries. I absolutely love seeing them rage over stupid things. It just shows how little control they really have in their lives.

>>915752
>Thats the bit that tore, the surround. They are replaceable. You make me sad. You fucked up a speaker and

Link? I actually burrowed the duct tape so it was free. Also, I'm not going to spend money to fix something like this when I can simply buy a new one later on.
>>
>>915659
make sure it has enough room to still move

use smaller parts of ducttape

i used duct tape and second glue and it worked fine but i ddint tape it like yours i taped only the hole and the stuff around

make sure it can move freely
>>
>>915865
>Link?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=replacement+speaker+surround

>I'm not going to spend money to fix something like this when I can simply buy a new one later on.
Thats the thing though, you ruined it. You put tape all over the cone. You'll probably destroy the cone when you remove the tape. Replacing a cone is a much bigger deal then replacing a surround.
>>
>>917243
It contours with the speaker as you can see in the OP image. That contour is what allows the proper range of movement. It has more kick to it now and I can actually max out the audio without it distorting anywhere past halfway. When it was new, it would start to distort about 1/2 to 3/4 volume. I've been at 2 bars out of 5 for years. Now I can go to 4-5 without a single problem. But, I prefer 3-4 at absolute max comfort.

>>917290
When I replace it, I'll be replacing it with a new larger subwoofer and the brand itself will be one that can actually be repaired using ordered parts. After all this is a low-quality brandname with no proper replacement parts (except duct tape).

It is working just fine, fyi. Cry doom if you wish.
>>
>ripped speaker repair
I replaced a suspension once, and it worked fine. If the cone itself is torn, the whole driver should just be replaced. There's no good way to fix that.Suspension kits are all over ebay and such.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.