[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/diy/ for money
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Repair_icon.png (6 KB, 123x156) Image search: [Google]
Repair_icon.png
6 KB, 123x156
I want to find something I can make and sell. Just something (ideally unique but I know thats hard to manage these days) that i could sell on etsy or the like for a bit of extra cash.

I have a TIG welder, basic wood and metal working tools, basic knowledge of micro controllers and electronics.

I need ideas. I have friends making cutting boards and pepper mills but that market seems saturated. What else?
>>
File: 1439076354865.jpg (71 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1439076354865.jpg
71 KB, 900x900
>>915588
If we give you ideas, what happens to our get rich quick scheme? Think about it.
>>
>>915588
Fasteners made of gummy bear material.
>>
>>915588
Well there is the thread about the guy trying to make a large dildo or something? Custom dildos?
>>
>>915675
But how many of you lack the skill/discipline/resources to actually do it? Another anon might be able to do what you were never going to. Or maybe we live in different parts of the world and target totally different markets.

Fuck don't be a hoarder.

I was thinking of doing knifes but I don't want to invest in forging equipment and I feel like just buying blanks is a cop out.
>>
>>915588
Make mid century modern furniture and sell it within your state. It requires both woodworking and metal working skills.
>>
>>915588

Make something like an antique collectable replica.
Cuckoo clock, brass telescope, treasure chest -- those kind of things. If it looks good enough
they can fetch a good price, making the work and craftsmanship time worthwhile.
>>
>>915675
Oh come on, everyone on this board has 20
or 30 ideas they know they'll never get around to.
>>
>>915722
Thats what I'm saying. We all intend to do so much but have the means for so little. Share among your breather en
>>
>>915709
can you sell knives on etsy?
>>
>>915815
yes iv seen some on there
>>
>>915751

Do you mean financial means or the method?

Because the financial barrier is easy to over come with a solid business plan and a strong realistic belief and drive. Even if you have 0 dollars a business loan is easy to come by providing the bank believes your plan and figures.

Most of us are here because we have minimal drive and waste the same kind of time here that a 16 year old girl would put into Facebook procrastination. So all these great ideas are just put out there with the dream that it would be easy and money would just fall in our laps.
>>
>>915866
Both. Most people here are too lazy/stupid to write a decent business plan that any bank would lend on, not to mention too lazy or unskilled to do the work.

Thus, you should all release your dreams into the world and let someone else make use.
>>
>ITT give me a money making idea that you have but dont want to harnish
>>
>>915709
You'd need to know how to spell 'knives' first
>>
>>915722
Those are my ideas, you fuck.
This is why the US hates the rest of the world.
>oi, you avin a fukkin oidea, mate? >Whatarya, a fukkin cunt? Let some'n else ave the credit!
>>
Hand made multi use keychains.

Custom housings for cheap things you took apart.
Like I once made a decorative outer sleeve for a kaleidoscope I had (but since all I had was hand tools it took ages).
Basically I took something that was a 2 toy and made it into something that looks like something worth being the goal of a great quest or some shit.

If you have power tools and can measure things properly then ether of those would be pretty easy.
>>
>>915920
wtf does any of this even mean? are you suggesting that everyone steals ideas from the US?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. No one is asking for a million dollar idea. Obviously keep that shit to yourself. But just some interesting ideas that could make a bit of money if one was so inclined.
>>
>>915588
Insufficient data for a meaningful answer.
>>
>>915588
Depens where you live, but you may try building treehouses for cheap.
Or build steel tables.
Or you can try building an small rc car made from steel and sell it? I mean, rc cars are comonly made of pastic. You can even make fight robots and build an small area. Childeren may watch it. Or ofcourse sell the steel rc cars.
>>
>>915990
steel tables are a decent idea. i was thinking of welding square tubular frames and topping with solid live edge pieces. everyone loves live edge shit.
>>
>>915910
Is harnish something like varnish?

I think you mean "harness".
>>
>>916051
leave sean connery alone
>>
When I go to craft sales, open air markets, or thrift stores they all have the same shit. Wood craft, knitting crap, old tools, old cans and bottles. What I watch for is what are people carrying through those events. They are all looking for something new, and different. I started welding small metal sculptures together. I sell out at just about every event.
Chat up people who stop at your booth. They may not buy from you but will give you new ideas you can work with.
>>
>>915588
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-NeoBoard-16x16-LED-Display-w-Arduino/ you'r welcome
>>
>>915588
>>915709
>>915722
>>915751
>>915875
>>915932
>>916009
Samefag. This thread has like 20 comments and 3 people in it.
>>
>>915588
I've had this one I've been developing.

So the idea behind it is you suck like 4 million dicks for a quarter a piece. You'll have a million dollars in no time.
>>
File: whiskey-barrel-mug.jpg (288 KB, 922x985) Image search: [Google]
whiskey-barrel-mug.jpg
288 KB, 922x985
Add a Bottle opner on the boton of this and earn tons of money
>>
>>918274
thats a terrible idea
>>
>>915722
I got plenty ideas, but sadly they don't require much resources or effort/skills.
>Buy flat screen tv
>Raffle it off at walmart or some place
>Bring in the dough, tv pays for itself
>Never call the people who participated, people would just assume someone else won it.
>>
>>919358
I have more money making ideas if anybody's interested..
>>
>>919363
Go on
>>
I don't know if there's a market for this, but selfmade wardrobes/armoires would be hella neat. Here in Switzerland pretty much every family has a few old wardrobes that you can take apart with no tools at all - everything is held together by cleverly placed wedges. I don't think anyone makes those anymore.

They're probably hard as fuck to make too, so this is a rather bad idea for you I guess.
>>
>>919358
>>919366
>Purchase caffeine pills from your local drugstore like cvs or walgreens. Walmart also sells them.
>Caffeine pills are legal and anybody can buy them
>Go to college campuses and sell the pills as ecstasy or adderall.
>better yet, crush the caffeine into powder and wrap it into individual plastic wraps, get creative & market it as some other drug *cough cough*

Worried about risks? college students don't usually carry guns so only sell the pills to them and not to people that come from the hood or something. Caffeine acts like adderall in the terms of keeping you alert but it'll make you crash after a few hours. College students will think you sold them weak shit and they'll ask for higher doses.
>>
>>919358
>>919379
I said /diy/ing not scamming.
>>
>>919371
You got a picture of these clever wedges?
>>
>>919379
Selling fake drugs means that the police/feds can pretty much charge you for selling anything* they want.

*they have a "reliable informant" who has informed them that you claimed the stuff was ultra-crack mixed with cocaine mixed with more crack. Oops, we weighed your whole stash in a single pile, plus all the empty caffeine pill boxes we found and that pushed the amount into mandatory 100yr sentence, but you won't have to serve it because a "reliable informant" said he thought you had lots of guns in your apartment so we burst in at 4am and shot your dog, your roommate and you.
>>
File: cardboard.jpg (354 KB, 1006x1269) Image search: [Google]
cardboard.jpg
354 KB, 1006x1269
>>919394
Scamming can be diy, takes skill to deceive.
But you're right, here's an actual idea to make it up to you. Make VR headsets using the google cardboard template you can download. you can make them out of wood, metal or just plain cardboard and sell them online or to people on the streets.
>>919409
Scamming in itself is illegal, so of course there's gonna be risks involved. You didn't have to shit on my proposal like that.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.