[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My wife and I are seriously considering building our house on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: my first house :^).jpg (47 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
my first house :^).jpg
47 KB, 480x360
My wife and I are seriously considering building our house on a plot of land.

Anyone got any good reading materials for such matters? We don't plan on doing all of it ourselves, but any help on the subject would help!
>>
>>910769
>put heart and soul into building house
>get divorced
>lose it all
>???
>loss
>>
>i want to build a house
>how do i build a house /diy/?
>>
>>910769
>My wife and I are seriously considering building our house on a plot of land.

Have you considered building your house on a plot of water or air? It is cheaper.
>>
>>910769
Make sure it's not an Indian burial ground.
>>
>>910769
>I don't know how to build stuff but I'll do it anyway
Unless you expect ending up with a log shack and an outhouse you're gonna be pretty disappointed.
>>
>>910769
a) will you do it legally?
b) what type of house?
c) will the physical, spiritual and moral expense be cheaper than employing somebody to do it?
d) which country are you in? is your local government gonna be ok with it?
>>
>>910769
Easy as pie.
First you have to consider if you want to build a whole foundation or put the house on stilts. The later is a lot cheaper, while foundations are known to last longer.
After that you have to take a look at the basic construction of the walls. A dry mortarless construction would be your way to go if you want to make it cheap and fast, a brick construction is a lot more expensive and it takes more time to construct, but offers a whole other level of stability.
If you want to build it yourself, I'd advise you to build a one-story building, for obvious reasons.
After the walls are put up you have to build your roof, which is just the extension of your base construction.
You now have a wooden construction that might be a home one day. You just need to do the insulation, door and windows, plumbing, electricity and get all legal papers signed, then you are done.
>>
>>910788
Yeah if he digs up old man Patel, then his 800 grandchildren will be pissed.
>>
File: KeeneyedPeerer.jpg (20 KB, 459x309) Image search: [Google]
KeeneyedPeerer.jpg
20 KB, 459x309
>>910769
Insufficient data for a meaningful answer.
>>
File: 13bear.jpg (126 KB, 677x720) Image search: [Google]
13bear.jpg
126 KB, 677x720
start with a house made of straw until it's wrecked and learn from there
>>
>>910775
OP asked for sources to learn, not to be taught by /diy/. Big difference.

>>910769
What type of house?

Also, google up the building codes for your area.
>>
>>910769
Are you talking about acting as the general contractor? Try googling general contractor responsibilities to get an idea what you may be in for. If you aren't the GC there's a decent chance you won't be doing any of it yourself; that's his name on the building site, he's not going to risk future business so you can gain experience/save money. If you decide to be the GC make sure you, your wife, preferably both, are VERY patient.
>>
Google for the word "earthship".
>>
>>910772

They're different they actually love each other ACTUALLY.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.