[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Growing Bamboo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: DSCN2153.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2153.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
Anyone have experience growing bamboo?
In a new house and I'm looking to cultivate some bamboo for timber and possibly shoots, in addition to looking nice.

Obviously don't want any running species which will be a pain in the ass to control or spread to the neighbour's backyard. My climate is dry-mild-temperate, inland south east Australia, Canberra to be precise. We do get frosts so any tropical varieties are out. Soil is heavy clay but I'll be using clay breaker and adding top soil regardless. Also got some huge water tanks so hopefully water isn't a problem.

So far my research has lead me to Bambusa Oldhamii (pic related). Which is clumping, frost tolerant, grows massive timber worthy culms and has edible shoots.

Some of my information found so far:

Cultivation (Lots of other good info but 90s tier site): http://www.bamboowholesale.com.au/html/cultivation.html

Harvesting Timber (suss moon phase section): http://www.guaduabamboo.com/cultivation/when-and-how-to-harvest-bamboo

Complete Guide for Bamboo (for Kenya): http://theorganicfarmer.org/sites/default/files/Guidelines%20for%20Growing%20Bamboo.pdf

General Info: http://gardeningstepbystep.com/how-to-grow-bamboo/

Might also start looking for books and asking the bamboo nurseries
>>
http://www.bamboogarden.com/care.htm
>>
Grow willow.
>>
File: cat-eating-pizza.jpg (179 KB, 468x500) Image search: [Google]
cat-eating-pizza.jpg
179 KB, 468x500
>>910692
>Obviously don't want any running species which will be a pain in the ass to control or spread to the neighbour's backyard.

where's your sense of adventure man?
>>
Is it strong like glorious Chinese bamboo? Jackie Chan told me that it is the best, and he would know.
>>
>>910692

Living in the tropics bamboo grows itself.

I chop a piece out of a larger piece. Plant it where I want to. Water it for a week so it catches and then walk away and come back to find a monstrosity.

Also don't think that there is bamboo of any variety that doesn't travel/run.
>>
dont grow bambo if you have any intention to ever use that land for anything else. It is notoriously hard to get rid of and will spread like fire and fuck your shit.
>>
>>910692
Seriously don't grow bamboo. My Chinese parents grew one stick which ended up into shoots sprouting from everywhere. It's impossible to remove and the methods of processing cost way too much/ way too much energy.
>>
>>910906
>>911007
clumping bamboos do run a little in my experience, but running bamboo will send new stalks 15 feet away from the nearest pole, but clumping bamboo only spreads 1-2 feet at the most.
>>
File: house-2.jpg (1 MB, 4608x3072) Image search: [Google]
house-2.jpg
1 MB, 4608x3072
>>910692
I know nothing of bamboo
If you are asking about bamboo which needs to be a warm humid climate, have you thought about banana trees?

Shit totally grows in any southern state, and can be done it cold states if you put enough effort in.

I think that shit would be awesome.
>>
>>911581
I live in Georgia, and have Banana trees. They never get big and will never bear fruit. The first hard frost kills them off above ground because they are mostly water.

Bamboo on the other hand grows native everywhere on the planet but antarctica.
>>
>>911614
>>911581
Can you actually have banana trees that produce Bananas?

I want one now
>>
>>911616
unless you live in the tropics, it would need to be in a heated greenhouse with artificial lights.

they grow bananas in iceland. using geothemral heat and energy. even with the artificial lights going all the time. I takes a tree two years to make fruit.
>>
File: image.jpg (235 KB, 600x872) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235 KB, 600x872
Get some free pallets and make large planters. Plant the bamboo above ground and you'll never have to worry about it spreading. Save yourself a huge potential headache.
>>
File: image.jpg (217 KB, 600x866) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217 KB, 600x866
>>911960
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 283x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 283x400
>>911962
>>
>>911616
You can grown bananas in the UK, they are just hard to do.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.