[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suggestions on a mid-tier gaming PC build.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: DIY.jpg (69 KB, 840x560) Image search: [Google]
DIY.jpg
69 KB, 840x560
I'm planning on building a gaming PC.
My budget is $600-700 for just hardware.
1080p is fine for me, I don't need to play Crysis 3 on ultra.

>Intel i5-4460 3.2GHz CPU
>Asus z97-A motherboard
>G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB DDR3-1866 RAM
>MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB GPU
>Corsair SPEC-01 Red ATX mid-tower case
>Thermaltake SMART 650W 80+ Bronze PowerSuppy.
>~$635
>I already have a HDD
>I will be installing Win7
>>
File: WHAT+I+DONT+GET+IT.png (26 KB, 463x599) Image search: [Google]
WHAT+I+DONT+GET+IT.png
26 KB, 463x599
>>910542
I just priced one out for someone, it was like 500-600 for an fx whatever and a gtx960 setup with SLI planned for later. Found a mobo for less than 100 with 2 x16 slots. Check out amazon if you have prime.
>>
>a suggestion..

..fuck off to >>>/o/

(when you get there? - ask them if they can drive you to /g/)
>>
>>910544
>with SLI planned for later
>gtx960

But why
>>
>>910542
I'll admit to not putting a lot of effort into this but here ya are anon, i have an amd 8350 and gtx 970 and do just fine.

gets you better proc, ram and graphics at budget assuming you already have windows too

PCPartPicker part list:
Price breakdown by merchant:

>CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core >Processor ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
>Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro >ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
>Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
>Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
>Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
>Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.98 @ Newegg)
>Total: $692.73
>>
>>910560
Why do I need 8 Cores and 16 GB Ram?
Perhaps I should get 1x8GB instead of 2x4GB so I leave room to upgrade RAM later.
>>
>>910567
because for $20 you get a much higher rated processor and why not more ram, it's what makes everything run smooth
>>
>>910542
It doesn't really matter. Most anything you get at those prices will play games for 10 years to come. Tech isn't advancing much and games are not pushing the boundaries like they used to every year.
>>
>>910571
> $20 you get a much higher rated processor

OP isnt rendering, he is gaming.

The single core speed of a haswell i5 rapes visheras all day long. The i5 is a much better gaming processor.

>>910567
You still dont need 16gbs of ram for gaming.
>>
>>910547
Because poor
>>
>>910542
Get the GTX 960 by MSI. 4GIGS if vram. I can play any game I want at max settings smoothly (probably the most intensive I play is GTA5). I also have an i5 4690k so that might help with a lot of games.
>>
>>910567
Wrong. The way ram works, it is better to have 2x4gb than it is to have 1x8gb.
>>
Thermaltake psus have a bad reputation,avoid them.The 380 performs worse than a 280X,so get a 960 instead.Actually if you do not plan to sli get a H81 mobo and an i3 to save up for a gtx 970.You can also drop the psu to 500-550w in this case.Most people do not end up doing sli anyway.
>>
>>910584
Intel shill plz. AMD is fine if you don't mind burning your house down.

*220W heater in my case at 5.6ghz*
>>
>>910584
>The single core speed of a haswell i5 rapes visheras all day long. The i5 is a much better gaming processor.

This. In general, single-thread performance is greatly preferable

I just had two people get me to build PCs for them. The i5 and GTX 960 combo are easily the best value for your dollar right now. Kinda regret "upgrading" to a FX-6350 half a year ago. On a per-core basis, AMD's current offerings suck.
>>
>>910613
So get the i5 in the OP and the Gtx 960 4gb? Or 2gb?
Also, do I really need a non-stock heatsink?
>>
>>910604
Not necesscelery: All DIMMS in a modern computer already occupy several ranks. A single DIMM, if fat enough, can on its own occupy every channel the memory controller has to offer.

If you're replacing an 8x1024 DIMM with two 4x1024 DIMMs, the layout the processor sees is going to be identical, and all you've changed is the physical location of the RAM chips: the actual number of chips will be the same, and their electrical configuration and performance will be the same.
>>
i went to micro-center with my friends looking to spend $500 on a build. i checked out at $1300
>>
>>911073
you need a non-stock one for the AMD
That shit's a space heater yo
go for the 4gb one if you can
>>
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

They update their information all the time.
>>
>>910584
Depends what games your playing, I recently ran into a few games that filled my 8GB, 16 is a bit much but if you want to be safe I would go with 12.
>>
>>910542
http://www.logicalincrements.com/#!/
>>
>>912444
Unless you studiously close every other thing on your computer before you play a game, 8GB holds your game, and the other 8GB holds everything else your computer was doing.
>>
You can never have too much RAM.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.