[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/diy/, how can I play electric guitar at a picnic without using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
/diy/, how can I play electric guitar at a picnic without using a generator?
>>
>>909771
Car battery that bypasses the amps power supply and feeds 12V straight to the amp board.
>>
>>909772
How long would an average car battery last, at pretty loud volume on, say, a 20 watt amp?
>>
>>909772
Most guitar amps run split rails. A very well filtered switching converter perhaps.
>>
File: Ohms-Law-Formula-Wheel.png (8 KB, 431x320) Image search: [Google]
Ohms-Law-Formula-Wheel.png
8 KB, 431x320
>>909779
Depends on battery capacity, but anywhere from 50 to 100aH depending on the intended vehicle.

To calculate how long the battery will last under a continuous load flip P = I/V around to determine your maximum ampere loading for the amplifier, then using the aH rating of the battery in question to calculate how long the battery will last. Remember, unless you are at 100% volume laying out some relentless metal blasts you're unlikely to be using the full 20W continuously, so you will likely have a little more time up your sleeve than the calculation reveals.

As an example, assume a 100W device at 10V, being run by a 50aH battery.

> P (100W) / V (10V) = I (10A) maximum loading.
> 50aH / 10A = 5 hours run time.
>>
>>909772
Amp board isn't likely to be simple 12v. Almost all stereo equipment uses a center tapped transformer to get a split rail +12v/-12v supply. If the amp is old enough to be using tubes the power supply will be outputting something around 100vDC.
>>
Expanding on the bar battery idea... Bicycle crank hooked to an alternator. Pedal while you play. Don't be a pussy.
>>
do you have an auxiliary input in your car? i've always thought it would have been cool to use one of those iRig type devices (http://img1.n3rdabl3.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/irig-ua-2.jpg)

... and send it into your head unit if you have an 1/8" jack. your car could be yr amp.
>>
Aren't there pocket amps that run on 9v? Might sound like shit but hey, it's a picnic.
>>
>>909832

that's old. this is the new fashion: Li-Ion powered amps that charge from a USB port, or a USB battery pack. sound is acceptable, but not loud enough for outdoors.
for that, I'd use my vintage Radio Shack PA amplifier with a 12V gel cell.
>>
>>909771
You do realize you can still play the guitar without it being plugged in, right?

Your question is phrased poorly.
>>
>>909876
Its pretty clear what he's trying to do considering he is trying to avoid a generator. Go be a troll eslewhere faggot.
>>
I use an amplificator (vox), uses 6 AAA accumulator. My step father has a beringher that basically do the same.

Not bad, but do not expect to make crazy outside concert with this.
>>
>>909876
Smartass that doesn't play guitar, please leave.

There's a whole raft of techniques that you can do on an electric guitar that you can't on an acoustic guitar, and that only work on a complete electric guitar, i.e. the guitar and amplifier.

It's blatantly obvious what OP meant, and you're just making yourself look like an idiot.
>>
>>909771
Dude, there are several cool pocket amps on the market in the 30-80 dollar range. 9V powered and loud enough to drown out all but the biggest, loudest acoustic guitars.
I got a fender mini twin and I love it.
I still think I should have gone for the Orange...
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-03-13-39-21.png (543 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-03-13-39-21.png
543 KB, 1080x1920
4 lantern batteries, two pairs of tow batteries wired in series. Each 6v lantern battery has between 10 and 40 amp hours. So connect two in series for your positive rail and two in series for your negative rail.

It's cheaper than buying an inverter, you don't have to be standing next to your car to make it work, and it will last all day.
>>
>>909771
How about just don't bring your guitar and interact in a normal way that doesn't involve blatantly seeking validation from groups.

I'm sick of you strawhat-clad, hipster guitar backpack guys in every pub beer garden playing the same four chord tricks for every song.

Maybe everyone else is too.
>>
>>909880
>Making himself look like an idiot
>Clearly pointed out that the question was phrased poorly

OP, you're samefagging, go home.
>>
File: parts-of-the-acoustic-guitar3.jpg (57 KB, 593x816) Image search: [Google]
parts-of-the-acoustic-guitar3.jpg
57 KB, 593x816
>>909771
You don't have an acoustic guitar? Really?

I understand the appeal of an electric guitar, but surely you learned on an acoustic guitar? You can't master the electric guitar without studying on an acoustic guitar.
>>
>>909771
a reeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllyyy long extension cord.
>>
>>910129
I'm not OP or that guy.
But anyone with 2 functioning brain cells knows what OP meant.
Control your autism.
>>
>>909880
BC anyone wants to listen to a woodshed guy shred electric guitar at a picnic.

Learn to ambiance.
>>
>>909810
Try 250-400 volts, depending on the tube.
>>
http://www.kraftmusic.com/brands/blackstar/fly3/ get this i heard it plays pretty well
>>
>>910199
This. OP should just go acoustic. The mellower sound fits a picnic setting better anyhow.
>>
>>910129
But it's not phrased poorly at all. The meaning is clear and unambiguous to anyone who understands the phrase "electric guitar". This is evident by the near-dozen replies prior that understood it the same way.

The only information >>909876 imparts is ">>909876 doesn't know how an electric guitar works".
>>
>>910199
Absolute crap. It's stupid to even think of them as the same instrument.

Do all piano players have to start on a harpsichord?
>>
File: 143457437028.jpg (8 KB, 272x185) Image search: [Google]
143457437028.jpg
8 KB, 272x185
>>909876
Are you talking about having the amp plugged in? The guitar lead? Are you talking about acoustics that don't need plugging in at all?

Your trolling is phrased poorly.
>>
File: CZAt1bW.png (208 KB, 548x316) Image search: [Google]
CZAt1bW.png
208 KB, 548x316
>>910199
>>
Car battery + power inverter strip.
>>
>>910346
no, but most piano players start on a piano before moving on to adding electric effects...

I learned to play on an electric guitar, then went for a few years in apartments where I couldn't go blasting guitar out so I played mostly acoustic... you'd be surprised how much easier it is to play an electric after you've built up the muscles playing on thicker standard acoustic strings rather than the thinner ones you usually get on an electric
>>
>>910031
Maybe he isn't what you just decribed.....those type of people don't normally end up on 4chan....there's not much "validation", as you put it, to be found here
>>
>>910199
>you cant master electric without studying on an accoustic

Congrats, thats the stupidest thing ive heard on 4chan today. Impressive, considering i was on /b/ earlier.
>>
>>911354
Surely if you want to keep the noise down, what you use is an electric and some headphones?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (171 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
171 KB, 1920x1080
Make your own molten salt batteries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhiJursKP_w
>>
>>911373
He's probably just bullshitting.
>>
Search smokey amps on google. I have a couple. They're nice. Runs off one 9v battery
>>
>>909811
this
>>
>>911355
then why do people bother replying?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.