[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am looking to start a simple tool set for my son. My dad kinda
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: Toolbox.jpg (153 KB, 380x316) Image search: [Google]
Toolbox.jpg
153 KB, 380x316
I am looking to start a simple tool set for my son. My dad kinda did the same for me and when i moved out he gave it to me. It was great to have.

Just looking for ideas for it. Mostly right now its extras of things i have. I have 2 sets of many things and the things i have 3 of the 3rd item im setting aside for him. Hes young now but when the time comes the "set" will be nice and probably bigger then what i got.
>>
1. electric caulk gun
2. one-way screw bit set
3. dewalt brand 18v blower
4. edgebander
5. electric tin snipper
that should get you started OP
>>
>>909078
Hammer, sledge hammer, wooden mallet, plastic head mallet, toffee hammer. Basically you can never have enough hammers. And don't forget the wd-40 and duct tape combo.
>>
>>909078
wooden pallet
shipping container
crab meat (imitation)
>>
>>909078
I did it to my kids also. Damn those rugrats lost all the tools in a jiffy!
If they weren't my kids I'd spank them...
>>
Dial caliper cause why the fuck not
>>
>>909078
get him started now with small stuff. eg. get him a tack hammer instead of a real one, or one of the baby, "homeowner's first tool set" hammers.
maybe one of those tiny flush cut japanese pull saws. help him with some small projects so he gets a little confidence with them.
don't get him/let him use anything electric until he's adult-ish sized.
>>
Get him a hammer, drill with a case of bits, socket wrench with a set of metric & imperial hexagonal sockets, a measuring tape, a set of metric & imperial allen keys, a set of screw drivers (Phillips and flat head, Torx if you're feeling generous), and a set of imperial wrenches (if in the U.S.) Get the kind that are solid forged steel. None of that plastic ratcheting crap. Also get a couple of chisels.

I can't think of anything else to get a guy started in terms of loading a tool box. Everything else can be acquired as projects demand them.

Unless your son is a useless faggot. In that case, get him an electric screwdriver, some AAA's, a phone book, and call it a day.
>>
>>909271
And if outside the US (or burma) skip the imperial. I have never used on and hopefully never will have the need as my set is low on imperial but high on metric..
>>
>>909078
Aww, like that song Cat Stevens sang about his son Yusuf...
>>
File: good_post.jpg (41 KB, 300x369) Image search: [Google]
good_post.jpg
41 KB, 300x369
>>909271
That's a good list.
I would throw in a file, glue,
and some duct tape & electrical tape.
Buying most of that list used could be done pretty cheap too.
That list would probably cover about 90% of the little projects I do around the house.
>>
>>909360
Just hope that OP doesnt get deathly ill, then recover and get a mental disorder like Cat Stevens did.

Also he changed his own name to Yusuf, his kids names are all insane fanatic muslim names.
>>
Do not neglect the value of a no. 4 hand plane.
That's the tool I take the most pride in using, and it's versatile more so than thought to be.
>>
File: mini hacksaws.jpg (40 KB, 620x269) Image search: [Google]
mini hacksaws.jpg
40 KB, 620x269
>>909271
a hand saw would be a good addition to that list, probably just a simple hack saw with a few spare blades, enough to cut some plastic piping in the case of a repair job.
a mini one would do the trick and fit in the tool box better than a full size. Probably one like the bottom, fits in the toolbox better, cheaper than the junior and use the regular blades

some consumables like screws and a few types of sandpaper certainly wouldnt go astray either, wouldn't get duck tape for the kit until its more ready to go out the door though since glue breaks down.

also include a file that can smooth down a rough or sharp metal edge easy
>>
File: d2Alg.jpg (27 KB, 600x250) Image search: [Google]
d2Alg.jpg
27 KB, 600x250
Maybe one of them?
>>
File: 14901194.gif (12 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
14901194.gif
12 KB, 300x100
>>910320
>>
I'm populating a toolbox of my own, this what I have/am getting myself, it mostly stuff I needed, used or borrowed over the years.
1. Metric socket set 8mm to 20-30mm (budget), ratchet, extension (short and long), spark plug socket, uni-joint (not necessary).
2. torque wrench 10-150 Nm
3. wrench set 8mm to 20mm
4. screw drivers (three Phillips, get the best you can afford you only need the three general sizes, and use them properly) (one pozi) (lots of cheep flats with accompanying bastard file) (and if you want jewellers screwdriver set)
5. two shifting spanners (a small one and a big one)
6. side cutters
7. one pliers
8. one needle nose pliers
9. one pipe wrench
10. one vice grips
11. one saw (or one metal and one wood of your choosing)
12. two sharpening stones
13. basic file set (optional jewellers files)
14. hex keys (set) (not the multi angle ones)
15. Combination square set
16. scribe
17. pencils (the flat carpenter ones)
18. stainless steel ruler 300mm
19. measuring tape
20. cheepo soldering iron
21. solder (plumbing and/or electrical)
22. flux
23. small torch
24. some heat shrink
25. cable ties
26. electrical tape
27. Stanley knife
28. 3 in 1 oil
29. wd40
30. spirit level
31. plum bob
32. inclinometer
33. vernier callipers
34. 25mm micrometer
35. cross peen hammer
36. ball peen hammer
37. claw hammer
38. 15mm wood chisel
39. multi meeter
40. some more stuff I cant recall off the top of my head

For someone young and starting off get him one of those cheep and nasty tool sets that you will be fine with if it only ends up rusting away, because you never know what the future holds. If you want him to use the tools create an environment where he NEED's to, and as such learns, also screw ups are useful. FYI I'm the only sibling in my family that can /diy/ on the account of being an actual fag and all my brothers are way more into the ancillary manly stuff.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.