[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. I have a battery pack from an old laptop of mine and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: IMG_20151130_210541.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151130_210541.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
Hey guys.

I have a battery pack from an old laptop of mine and I'd like to use them for other purpose (Vaping etc.)
My question is, how can I cut the batterys from the control module without shorting them?
>>
File: IMG_20151130_210527.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151130_210527.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
Here are some more pics.
>>
>>908533

what are you ask? just don't bridge negative and right side of batter while cutting. Better build/buy a dedicated charging circuit like TP4056 and even more importantly a dedicated discharge control because these things are boned when you over discharge them.
>>
File: oops.gif (986 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
oops.gif
986 KB, 500x300
>inb4 pic related

If you have to ask it is probably a bad idea for you to try.
Enjoy your Allah u Akbar mouth fedora.
>>
>>908533
My personal feelings about the whole vaping fad aside, you should really buy brand new high quality lipo batteries designed for high discharge rates.

From the looks of this thread, you dont understand lipo batteries at all.

Do some research and buy some genuine quality cells before you blow your fingers off.
>>
Watch from 1:37 then decide if you want to fuck around with lithium ion batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V482lvMRXUg
>>
>>908553
To be fair, flashlight hobbyists and RC hobbyists use them perfectly fine if you understand what you are doing. They also use high quality chargers and decent cells.

You just need to understand that unprotected cells can be very dangerous and permanently damaged if you over discharge them or over charge them. Both very easy to do in the vaping community.

I guarantee a bunch of retards are burning up and blowing up their vapes
Nobody talks about it in the news unless someone has severe bodily harm though

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded

Think about it exploding in a smaller metal case in your hand like the box looking vapes. A grenade going off in your hand.
>>
I have about 12 of them I use for my bike lights.

Just be very careful when dismantling them, don't cross the streams. Best route I've found with laptop batteries is to use a decent pair of snips, and cut the negative line from the charge circuit, and tape it. Then snip the positive side away, and that lets you stretch the whole battery chain out. Then you can snip each battery apart.

You will find that no matter how 'dead' the battery is when connected to a circuit or laptop, there will always only be a single or a couple dead cells - the others can and will usually be still partially or fully charged - a discharge circuit doesn't help because the dead cells pull down the output voltage and essentially lie to the discharge circuit.

Rubber gloves are your friend when dealing with them. Also if you SHOULD happen to cross the streams, make sure you have a window handy to toss the whole thing out of.
>>
Grind up the batteries, then vape them in your hipster fashion item.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 640x465) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 640x465
>>908560
Flashlight hobbyist blows hand off... Doesn't that have a mildly retarded sort of ring to it?

Oh well. Pic related. One of the earlier "awe shucks, lithium under pressure does some crazy shit" moments, to the tune of 17,500,000,000,000 kWh of energy released in a few seconds.
>>
File: IMG_20151002_230140.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151002_230140.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>908553
>this is what happens when we put a laptop on a griddle

yeah, great info kid

>>908533
just cut them the fuck apart. don't short them out like any other battery. just know that these cells probably don't have built in protection.

I have a shitload of these things from old, yet never used laptop batteries. They are 18650 cells, pretty common thing.
>>
>>909268
looks like they have a protection chip in them?
>>
>>909270
I think they are unprotected with the protection being the in circuit board
>>
>>909270
More likely a small uC that tells the laptop whether a genuine battery has been installed, and to relay the capacity of the battery to the charge controller so it can adjust its charge rate to suit the cells.

I don't remember who it was but I seem to remember [manufacturer] had a battery recall because of a bad batch of battery controllers. Battery would report dead despite the cells being perfectly fine.
>>
>>909293
Dell.

Sony went through a phase where the battieries caught fire, but they held a charge fine.
>>
>>908533
>vaping
Throw them in a fire and huff the fumes you retarded fuck.
>>
Why are people so ass devastated with other people vaping?
>>
>>909624
When you bunch yourself into a crowd of retards, dont be surprised that people judge you as such.
>>
>>909624
Because its some fucking weak shit and is pure fashion trend. It's like toy lightsabers for adults for extra geek cred.

I smoke, dude at work vapes. He used to come hang with us till he got sick of us poking holes in his justifications for vaping. He was a smug cunt who thought that he is superior because he is not inhaling carcinogens, nevermind the face he remains just as addicted as us. To a product which does not actually have any nicotine content mind you.

When asked why he is still vaping despite there being no "addictive" element anymore (nicotine) his answer is he likes the taste. When asked why he doesn't go just eat an apple instead of paying stupid amounts to smoke apple, his argument falls flat. When asked why he wishes to be seen in the eyes of non (reads, never smoked) smokers as on the same tier as anyone else who inhales things regularly, well thats their problem, not his, despite the fact he is the one engaging in the behavior. When asked why he doesn't just go back to smoking tobacco, he cites addiction, not health. When it is pointed out that he is in fact addicted to vaping, he gets all huffy, and walks off.

In my observations of meeting vapers in pubs/clubs/gigs;

> I smoke vapes because healthy
If you're concerned about health, why vape at all? You're still introducing foreign bodies to your lungs.

> I vape because I enjoy the flavours
While retaining an addiction to sticking something into your mouth. Justify it how you wish, it's still an addiction, you just can't admit it.

> I vape because I don't like the addictive properties of nicotine
And again, you are retaining the physical addiction of sticking something in your gob. Why even bother? You are still a slave to an addiction, and weaker than me because I can at least admit it.

Literally a fucking fashion trend. At least bitches who wear ugg boots and miniskirts can admit they're doing ti for the lulz. Question a vaper with logic and reason and they'll just walk away.
>>
>>909681
>l smoke
Stopped reading.
>>
File: 133565434067.jpg (7 KB, 186x271) Image search: [Google]
133565434067.jpg
7 KB, 186x271
>>909765
Good, fuck off, we don't want triggered little shits like you discussing adult things anyway.
>>
Here's an idea don't vape, you vape you kill people by feeding the tobacco company #truth
>>
>>908533
Those are very likely unprotected cells that have had their run. Dispose of them properly, and get yourself some proper, protected cells and a charger.
>>909681
I agree that it has gone the way of a "look at me, look at how trendy and geeky I am" habit; however credit where it's due. I was able to gradually quit by regulating the nicotine content over the span of almost two years, and so have other people.
>>
>>909784
>I was able to gradually quit by regulating the nicotine content over the span of almost two years, and so have other people.
You know what? I'll pay that, I have heard many say the same (which is a great thing) but no one in my sphere has done it. One of my other peeps quit by chewing on bamboo toothpicks which was very effective at keeping his mouth and hands busy, this is a huge chunk of the battle as well. Every now and then you catch him raising a pen to his mouth like a ciggy though, its pretty funny.

>>909765
Spotted the rectally wrecked vapefag.
>>
>>909784
And you could've done it the traditional way of patches or gun like a regular person, and not make yourself look like a dick gobbling asshole.
>>
>>909790
> try to break a nicotine addiction
> with nicotine

Good goyim.
>>
>>909789
My coffee intake has nearly doubled since, but thankfully don't have the chewing gum/pen/toothpick tick.
>>909790
I tried patches before, but always found them to bee too different from inhalation, and I wasn't able to carefully regulate the contents as I did with the vape.
This thread reminded me that there is somewhere in an unpacked box, in a case, a vape with a lithium battery still in it.
>>
I have a coworker who used vaping to stop smoking cigs.
Apparently now he just vapes with nicotine free juice out of habit, as an oral fixation. Spends a ton on his hardware.

My biggest issue is that the vape smoke lingers, and the juice really bothers me. It makes my whole face go numb every time I smell it. And there is a local juice maker who has a very distinctive smelling juice that everyone seems to use. Just walking in walmart, can walk in an empty isle and get hit in the face with an invisible cloud of it.

Id take ciggarette smoke in the face all day long over the awful lingering vape smoke.

And for some reason, I see a bunch of faggots blowing clouds in restaurants and stores.
Its just an excuse to skirt the smoking bans.

I cant wait till they rewrite smoking legislation and stop people from bothering you in public places. Hell I even see <18 year olds puffing on them at the store.
>>
This shit against vapers like wtf?

Ill give you fucking idiots some good reasons why its better

1: its a fuck tonne cheaper than smoking cigarettes

2: its healthier, and I dont mean the chemicals and shit I mean you can do more, take that from a fucking bodybuilder who knows his shit

3: it tastes better and never leaves you atinking like a smoker

Now why is that not a good idea?
>>
>>910081
So let me get this straight
>im poor, yet will spend tons on modding my vape
>i take medical advice from roidheads, who do some very unhealthy things to gain muscle mass
>i need fruity flavors like an 8 year old, and pretend I dont stink.

Worst justification for a worthless addiction I have ever seen. You sound like you are 15 years old.
>>
>>910081
>1: its a fuck tonne cheaper than smoking cigarettes

So is not smoking at all, or are you one of those people that have so little self control and willpower that they can not quit?

>2: its healthier, and I dont mean the chemicals and shit I mean you can do more, take that from a fucking bodybuilder who knows his shit

Not breathing in nasty smoke at all is even more healthy.

>3: it tastes better and never leaves you atinking like a smoker

If you want taste go eat food.
Oh, wait. With such bad self control you would probably gain 200lb.
>>
>>910089
>>910101
>taking the bait
>>
File: _is_this_bait.jpg (397 KB, 827x1223) Image search: [Google]
_is_this_bait.jpg
397 KB, 827x1223
>>909681
>vaping is a fashion trend
>cigs aren't
>>
>>909765
>Stopped reading

No you didn't, and you only posted this because you're some middle school kid who thinks you have to act like this to be popular on 4 channel
>>
who the fuck vapes nicotine-free? The whole point is to get your nicotine dose and possibly some funny flavours that you don't get in regular fags.

Long time pipe smoker myself, favourite was always moist gawith black cherry medium, I'd go visit the tobacconist a few valleys over every other week to top up my stock and pouch. Still do but now it's a once a month affair as I find myself using less pipe tobacco so my pouch stays fat longer.

I also vape because most of the time it is far more convenient while still giving me my nicotine.

Vaping nicotine-free seems like a complete "what?" to me
>>
Evangelising teetotalers need to die.
>>
>>911570
Alcohol Vaping hasnt caught on yet, mostly because the vast majority of Vapers are too young to legally buy alcohol.
The alcohol vaporizers wont have a market for another 5 years of so.
>>
I dunno why so many people in this thread are so incredibly fucking salty about people using vaporisers.

Its harmless for the people doing it to look cool and for the people using it to quit or as a healthier alternative to their tobacco addiction, its pretty useful.

Shit either way its better than people smoking. People start it for the same reason but you are a hell of a lot less likely to be a 40 year old vaporiser user with yellowed teeth, nails and a blackened lung.

For the sake of clarity. I don't do either. I've tried both. They are fine, not worth the cost of getting addicted to. Hash in a vaporiser was pretty good though.
>>
>>911571
There is always a prevalent burning sensation and potential for damage when acidic alcohol comes in contact with mucosa. Considering the majority of your respiratory system is lined with them, I'd venture to say it wouldn't be a very pleasant experience. Not to mention the dessication of your lungs and the greatly increased potential for alcohol poisoning since you can't puke it out.
>>
>>911590
As an aside. Its just not as enjoyable as booze. Same reason people don't regularly consume powdered alcohol/alcohol mist/vodka tampon up the butt.

If you were to present me with a pint vs any of the above im taking the fucking pint.
>>
>>911589
>I dunno why so many people in this thread are so incredibly fucking salty about people using vaporisers.

Its this generations Clove cigarettes among the teens.
Its not that hard to have disdain for their target demographic. Young teens and rough 40 year old assholes you hope would die from lung cancer.
>>
Lol people used to call you a faggot if you smoked filtered cigarettes. People are brutal.
>>
>>911570
>why don't you smoke bruh hey bruh bruh smoke bruh party bruh hey bruh you a fuckin' faggot or something bruh bro bruh it's cherry flavored bruh so it's not bad for you bruh
>You fucking teetotaler fucks
Topkek
>>
>>911589
I don't mind the vaping, I mind all the faggots who get so militantly offended when someone asks them to stop blowing huge fucking clouds of shitty smelling-and tasting-faggotism and generally acting like the douchiest douchbags from planet lysol.

Same problem most people have with gays, we don't care what you put up your butt, daisy don't be faggots about it.
>>
>>911589
Because they sit in restaurants, on trains, in libraries, anywhere the fuck they want, and vape, because "muh healthy choice". If someone lit a smoke in any of those locations they'd get lynched. Why the fuck do these faggots think they are above laws designed to protect the broader health of the community?

Smokers or vapers, irrelevant. I don't want your shit in my face while I'm trying to eat a fucking steak or catch up on the capers those hungry little caterpillar fuckers are mixed up in. Go stand your shit outside in the rain like the addict you are, or display some fucking self control and do it in open air.
>>
>>911681
The funny thing is that you will literally never see considerate "vapers" because, well, they're not using it around you. If they had a lingering smell on them like a smoker, you'd be able to identify them, but since you can't, you literally only see the douches.

I mean I vape because I am a little bitch about quitting nicotine, but no one knows I do. They just say how the one guy in the library always does it and vaping is annoying, while having no idea that I've got 3 of them at home. So just keep that in mind, that you're never going to see a considerate vape user because the only way you can know if someone uses it without seeing them do it is to ask.
>>
File: IMG_20151207_120609.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151207_120609.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>908533
>>908550

Hey OP,

I have the exact same 18650's from a hp laptop battery pack (blurry pic related)

I didn't read the thread since its mostly vape hating so if I'm repeating anyone sorry.

Anyway, these batteries are a bad choice for vapes, they only support a continuous maximum discharge of around 4.3amps per battery.

Which in vape terms is about 16watts with a 0.86ohm coil build.

They're also not protected or safe chemistry.

tl;dr
These batteries will probably explode in a vape and if they don't they would perform worse than a disposable e-cig.
>>
>>911705
Are you kidding me? It definitely does leave a lingering smell. My roommate, and his room, reek of artificial blueberry because he "hotboxes". His words, not mine.
>>
Moving swiftly along and trying to get this thread slightly back on topic..

I'm making a battery to power an ebike, the bike needs 12v whereas the 18650 cells i'm using charge nominally to 4.2V...
I plan on using 3 in series and pretty much just an assload in paralell to get the required amperage out of the suckers and the range.
So my question is how do i regulate the 12.6v when fully charged down to the nice 12v i need. I have thought about just not charging the cells all the way up to 4.2 and leave them at 4, but that'd loose a fair chunk of their designed capacity.
>>
>>911827
Partial charging isn't going to work since batteries tend to keep a charge and then rapidly drop off.

Plus your voltage under load will be lower than the voltage of the charged batteries.

Get a voltage regulator in there and it should help you a lot.
>>
>>911827
>down to the nice 12v i need
How do you know it won't accept 12V+8%?

I'm guessing a bike would be designed to be powered from batteries, and not a regulated 12v bench supply.
>>
>>911845
It's not exactly an ebike, but i see what you're getting at. Will give it a shot and blame you furiously when the blue smoke is released tomorrow
>>
Another slightly related question... what's the current required to get the engine of an average car to turn over? Don't have access to a clampmeter to test on mine. Am wanting to know if i can re-purpose my battery to be an emergency one for a car
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.