[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I take the backing off these cuff links? They were made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_0173.jpg (581 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0173.jpg
581 KB, 2000x1500
How do I take the backing off these cuff links?
They were made from Japanese menuki. The backing is silver.
Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>908207
Uhh, with a soldering iron capable of melting silver you dense tripcunt fuck..?
>>
>>908210
I don't want to damage the menuki.
>>
>>908212
Gee, I wonder how they were able to solder it to the thing in the first place then. Cause you're the expert about what will and wont damage it. Maybe the heated the silver solder with the power of bushido.
>>
>>908222
I don't think it's soldered on.
>>
>>908232
Well we'll never know because you HAVEN"T POSTED A PICTURE OF THE BACK.
>>
>>908207
If this piece means anything to you, just take it to a jeweler and they can do it for you for a reasonable fee. You will prob end up damaging it trying to remove that backing. If you don't really care then grab a dremel, hammer, screw driver, multi tool and some swear words and go to work. I wouldn't put a torch to it. If it were me, I would just chop the post off and call it good. What are you repurposing this as?
>>
>>908210
Go back to /b/
>>
Dremel?
>>
>>908207
blow torch

the solder does not take much to melt
>>
>>908207

i don't know anything about cuff links by brand, but i know how to make and repair jewellery.

if its copper core with silver plating, your not getting it apart with heat without damaging the silver plating unless what every they used to bond it together has a very low melting point.

if those are "expensive" and its actually silver on silver with silver solder which is basically silver, your not getting those apart with heat. the whole mass will go critical (lose its shape) before it separates. not to mention exposing yourself to some nasty fumes if your not in a well ventilated area.

your best bet would be to cut off the post as close to the backing as you can and grind/sand away the rest of the backing while taking your time because your going to burn your fingers. silver is an excellent conductor of heat.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.