[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Problem with my computer. Problem is, computer won't turn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 20151120_155604.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151120_155604.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Problem with my computer.

Problem is, computer won't turn on.

Problem is not power outlet. Problem is not motherboard. Problem is not fan. Problem is not processor. Problem is not power supply. Problem is not RAM. problem is not case.

What could be the problem?
>>
>>904411
power button

how do you know there isn't a problem with each component?could be an issue with combination
>>
Problem could be power button, but bridging the on switch with a paperclip doesn't do the job either.

I've taken out each piece and tested them with a working system. I don't believe that it's a connection problem because the computer worked fine for about 6 months before it stopped working abruptly.
>>
>>904411
>Problem is not power outlet. Problem is not motherboard. Problem is not fan. Problem is not processor. Problem is not power supply. Problem is not RAM. problem is not case.
how do you know this?

what happened?
what did you do?
what do you know about computers?

ad some detail before expecting help.
it could be anything by your description.
>>
>>904414

I moved it, then it stopped working. I know fairly little about computers, I built this thing a long time ago with the help or a friend.
>>
>>904413
i know its silly but power cable?
last time i had something like this it was simply pushing it against the wall bent the cable at the back
eventually the cable failed
pulling it out actually allowed it to work which was fucking infuriating because as soon as i pushed it back against the wall it would turn off
but yeah check everything.
>>
>>904424

Problem is not power cable
>>
>>904429
>Problem is not power cable

have you plug it in?
>>
>>904411
is this a riddle? it has to be the power button.

in all seriousness your motherboard is kill.
>>
>>904411
Power cable
On/off button
Those little pins you plug in the motherboard that go to the on/off and reset button.

Also, more details, you dufus.
>>
You say these things are not the cause but you have not shown how you know this. Tell us how you know these things or fuck right the hell off. You have eliminated 90% of the causes of the symptoms you describe and have given us no rational as to why.
>>
>>904413
>I've taken out each piece and tested them with a working system.
Seems to me you're too lazy to write down more details of your problem but not too lazy to take out the motherboard, attach it to a working system, test it, reattach it to your system.
Something's fishy here, OP.
>>
I know, the problem is your keyboard
>>
File: bullshit2.jpg (43 KB, 550x350) Image search: [Google]
bullshit2.jpg
43 KB, 550x350
>>904411

the problem is you. you are either trolling or too fucking stupid to know how to actually test hardware properly

besides if the motherboard is WORKING but wont do anything then how in the hell did you test it in another system?

if you plugged another power supply into it and it turned on then theres your fucking problem.
this whole thread is.... BULLSHIT
>>
>>904411
Your computer is a horse
>>
PEBKAC
>>
>>904411
Power outage?
>>
File: atx-power-bypass.jpg (25 KB, 418x496) Image search: [Google]
atx-power-bypass.jpg
25 KB, 418x496
>>904411
What do you mean computer wont turn on?

Take the power supply out of the computer and disconnect everything from it. Plug in the mains power cable and make sure the switch at the back is set to the line symbol and not the circle symbol.

Take a bare metal paperclip or a thick copper wire and bend it into a small u shape. Find the main motherboard cable from the power supply, one of the wires should be green. Take your bent paperclip and stick one end into the green wire, stick the other end into a black wire.

Your power supply should now turn on by itself and the fan should start spinning. If it does not then you've got a problem.
>>
File: 1303449668058.png (361 KB, 499x357) Image search: [Google]
1303449668058.png
361 KB, 499x357
>>904498
I knew this was coming, but I still chuckled heartily.
>>
>>904508
okay, nothing happened.
>>
>>904640
That means your power supply is broken.
>>
wow.. all this fucking thread to determine the power supply is broken...

OP you are the dumbest fucking cunt on the planet
>>
>>904644
>>904891
>>904508
Well, if it worked when it was in another PC, it could also mean that the power lead is broken, or the wall socket is broken, or the wall socket is switched off.
>>
>>904411
>no power to the house, yes I have had this call.
>power switch broken, easy to bypass to test.
>Fan? Really? really? Maybe you shouldnt be doing PC troubleshooting.

Power from house to CPU. If all is working, PC will turn on. OP, get a geek to help you since you are not one.
>>
>>904942
>Fan? Really? really?
I guess you aren't a geek either, if you don't remember the days of spontaneously-combusting Athlon XPs, and motherboards that wouldn't even activate PWR_ON unless they reckoned a CPU fan was present.
>>
The voltage selector on back set for 110? And possibly a loose screw is stuck under motherboard grounding a solder point to case.
>>
pebkac?
>>
File: PEBKAC.png (7 KB, 286x122) Image search: [Google]
PEBKAC.png
7 KB, 286x122
nt
>>
>>904411
Pay your utility bill and they will turn your power back on.
>>
>>904411
I think the real problem, you dont have very good troubleshooting skills
>>
Front panel connectors?
>>
>>904988
>lel I guess ur not cool like us because of this one time things happened and we know but u dont
>>
>>904462
little harsh, but i gotta agree here.

Could be a connection issue somewhere. Either that, or your horrible at troubleshooting, or a trolling douchebag.

Start over and keep re-trying until you figure it out.
>>
>>904411
Take a hair dryer and aim it right on the fan on low for a minute keep pressing power till it turns on. Sounds silly but it works
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.