[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making a bed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: king-and-twin-bed-bedroom.jpg (330 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
king-and-twin-bed-bedroom.jpg
330 KB, 1600x1200
Hi /adv/, does anybody have experience making a bed that they'd like to share?
My cabin has an 8x8 room which will be the bedroom. I like big beds and there couldn't be jack of floorspace anyway in an 8x8 room so what I plan to do is have the whole room a bed (that lifts up for storage underneath)
How would one go about making a bed? One that lifts up for storage underneath, at that. I imagine I'll probably have to have the mattress custom made since 8x8 is even bigger than a california king. Bedmaking thread!
>>
>>901874
The mattress itself I'll probably have made through ultrabed.com but I'm wondering about the frame itself that the mattress part sits on.
>>
Check to find any local manufacturers.

Where i live theres a mattress company that makes all the mattresses they sell to the public. Extremely high quality, and pretty reasonable prices too compared to the name brands being sold by third parties.

They made a custum bed for me to fit this oooollld mahagony bed frame i got at auction that was between a full and queen size. The owner came out to my place to double check my measurements. Delivered it three days later personally to check the fit himself. All for the same price as an equivalent featured serta
>>
>>901874
You would have to get a pneumatic system to move the top frame up and down, but its dangerous and really expensive.

make a decently tall frame using thick studs on the end so you have enough room underneath.
Or you can make a regular height bed, frame it out, then install roll out cabinets below.
>>
>>901874
Had a friend that made herself a Murphy bed. But she lived in an apartment with a bedroom, and for the life of me I couldn't understand her reasoning to have amurphy bed in her bedroom

>Do yoga in private

It is called curtains in the living room, paranoid patty.
>>
>>902068
>Had a friend that made herself a Murphy bed. But she lived in an apartment with a bedroom, and for the life of me I couldn't understand her reasoning to have amurphy bed in her bedroom
Yeah, the practicality aspect makes little sense in such a situation. Either she made it to simply impress, or she really needed the bedroom floor to be open for whatever reason.

OP, it would be a bit pricey, but if ever there was a situation that needed one of those Murphy beds/disappearing wall beds, it's yours. Otherwise you'll literally drive yourself insane with a room that's practically all bed and nothing much else.
>>
>>902077
On the other hand, a room that is literally a bed room could be pretty sweet.

Especially if it were a waterbedroom.
>>
Yea you can make a bed of 2x4s and drywall screws. Sturdy too.
>>
Be sure you have access to sheets, blankets and all the other needing stuff to accommodate an odd size. If you were making something smaller than king you could always buy king and then tailor it. Making something larger would be challenging.
>>
>>901874
what dimension of bed were you planning on? because if you're going to do a 4' wide twin in an 8x8 room, I'd suggest building underbed storage.
NVM just read full post, i see where you say giant bed.
first off, INSTEAD of a murphy bed (which usually involves bookcase doors or a fake cabinet front to look attractive when not in use, so that an occasional guest room can be used as a study/living room/etc.), you build a hanging bed. Look at plans for hanging daybeds, and diy something like a bicycle lift. you can either use a hand pulley and cleat or a small winch (since it would be supported on the ground, it would only need to lift the weight of the bed and blankets, not your weight).
I'd suggest either building a frame for the mattress support to drop onto, or lifting up the whole bed, legs and all (although given that you want a high bed for storage space, long legs would hang down from the ceiling, but this would work fine if you're only using the space under for storage that is only occasionally accessed.)
I would suggest having hanging plants for the attachment points of the pulleys for day to day attractiveness.
Oh, and BUILD A SHELF HEADBOARD. add a power strip or two so you don't have to move the bed around to plug in a lamp/laptop/phone.
And don't build an 8x8, build an 8x6'6" or so. make sure the door opens out, not in, but you still want space to be able to put a hamper, luggage, a small chest of drawers or wardrobe, etc at the foot of the bed, space to get dressed and undressed.
I would also suggest underbed storage drawers for day to day access, which is another reason to leave a foot or so for them.
http://woodgears.ca/queen_size_bed/index.html
http://woodgears.ca/drawers/under_bed.html
>>
>>902137
Oh, also, a murphy bed likely wouldn't work for your application, because a bed can only be as long as the room is tall, minus a bit for hardware and access, and minus the height of the bed (the length of the bed can only be the distance between the pivot point, which is at the height of the bed off of the ground, and the roof of the room)
Oh, and one other option for your superbed design: you could go with a folding bed system. those tend to be uncomfortable to sleep on though.

Also also, alter the bed design a bit, for king size beds and up, most also have a support post across the center (and legs for it)
and for maximum comfort, make the slats using a bent lamination with a slight curve upward, to create an extra spring effect and prevent sagging.
>>
Just get a bunch of milk crates and put the mattress on top of it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.