[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do expensive Whiteside and Freud router bits offer that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 3762_1760_popup.jpg (338 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
3762_1760_popup.jpg
338 KB, 500x500
What do expensive Whiteside and Freud router bits offer that cheap Horbor Freight ones don't?
>>
>>900772
reliability, yes harbor freight ones are cheap, yes you can buy several for the cost of a real bit... no, buying new ones and saving the money will not unfuck that 300$ figured hardwood board that just got ruined when your cheap harbor freight bit failed...

if your using it to fuck around with, or for regular around the house projects, then harbor freight is probably fine... professionally however you'd be better off with a better quality bit.
>>
>>900772
Last longer. Cut cleaner. Run truer.
>>
>>900798
Rust less. Bought a cheapo set of bits from HF causes I needed one right then. Put them in my bit storage toolbox and came back to them a year later, all were spotted with rust. All my other drill bits? Spotless. Even had a desiccant pack in the toolbox and those cheap pieces of shit STILL rusted.
>>
I always grease my bits. No problem with rust.
>>
File: lewd.gif (141 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
lewd.gif
141 KB, 600x337
>>900970
>I always grease my bits.
>>
Harbor freight is like the Dollar store of hardware stores.

With something that has high RPMs like a router you dont want to take a chance with cheap bits.
>>
>>900772
I don't do woodworking really, I am a machinist-hobbyist....
HSS comes in different grades and cheaper HSS isn't as hard as more-expensive metal tends to be. it simply doesn't stay sharp as long.

If woodworking bits are anything like metalworking bits,,,, you are way better shopping online and just buying name-brands of the single pieces that you need, than you are if you buy a big complete set of generic bits.
>>
The bits from HF are dull as fuck. Even after sharpening, if you're doing any decent amount of work they just don't keep an edge. I've got one of the big packs I use for molding. I cut the guides off the bottom and use a tiltable router mount.
>>
>>900840
That just means HF bits have less chromium content. They know their products aren't intended for use over years or neglected for a year.

If you'd like to prevent rust, put some oil or grease (not WD40) on them before storing for incredibly long periods of time.
>>
Carbide is carbide imho. I don't buy that "harder more durable carbide" crap Freud sells.
>>
>>901304
A lot of the cheap ones aren't carbide. I can't remember the name now but when I picked a cheap set before they were called something else.
>>
Relatively on-topic...I have a bullshit-tier Harbor Freight rotary tool. It was like 20 bucks with some bits and accessories included; got it for Christmas last year. I fell in love with the thing cause it was so fun to use.

TL:DR- The thing is shit and now I need a good rotary tool. Advices?
>>
>>901369
Stick some proper dremel tools on the end of it, and you'll be laughing.

Cut-off wheels, especially.
>>
Basically what >>900798 said.

People like to hate on HF stuff because it gives them a sense of faux superiority. Their bits work just fine for diy and entry level hobbyists.

They do the work just fine. They don't have the same tolerances as professional grade tools.

When in doubt, fall to the old standard. Buy the HF tool. Use it until it breaks. Then replace with something of higher quality if needed.

>>901369
You need a good rotary tool?

Go right back to harbor freight, buy their hanging rotary tool.

I run it right next to a Foredom in my shop for my assistant. Can't tell them apart after you get it set up properly.

Tips:
Clean off and re-grease the shaft properly. HF tools tend to sit around for a long time.

Get a better hand-piece. The one with it uses a Jacobs chuck, which is nice for drilling, but not as nice for carving.

Also check your hand piece as soon as you get it home. Some have bad bearings according to reviews. Run it for 15 minutes while doing work and if it gets hot, swap it out. Don't bother if you're getting a new hand piece.

Also make sure to keep the old hand piece if you get a new one. I use it for quick switches to drill holes.
>>
>>901463
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-tools/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html
this one?
>>
>>901567
>http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-tools/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html

Yep. The foot control is pretty meh, but works well enough for anything I've ever thrown at it.

If you want a better handpiece, buy them off ebay, they're like $30-40.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.