[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
starting my own business
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: production.jpg (62 KB, 595x335) Image search: [Google]
production.jpg
62 KB, 595x335
Hello DIY.

i dream of some day being able to run a business selling a product to either consumers or manufacturers. i do not yet have a product in mind, however i have recently abandoned a bachelor in health and nutrition in favor of chemistry (chemical engineer), it is my hopes that this education will give me the tools and inspire me to design a product in the likes of chemical compounds for medicinal, construction materials, or even the food industry.

Even though i do not have a product yet, i still feel like figuring out what it takes to start a business, is there anyone in here that has ever tried starting their own production of some sorts, or even tried/are running their own business that could give me some advice as to what/how you did it?
>>
>>900645
>don't have a product
>don't even have an idea what to sell
Fix both before you start thinking about starting a business.
>>
>>900653
if running a business is the dream that drives my motivation and pushes my ambitions forward, what harm can it do to research ahead?
>>
>>900645
First of all congratulations for not being another wageslave just like all other so called STEM geniuses.
You really need to do market research, dont bother trying to manufacture anything that is already being done startup costs are too high. If you aim for new stuff startup costs will be lower simply because you have no competitiors. For example my first (failed) business was 3d printed statues. If Kodak were doing it Id have gotten nowhere but they werent so i had a foothold. Now ive moved on to delivery drones because nobody has yet come up with a viable petrol design. Beware with new tech people will dismiss and attack you like /diy/ and /sci/ did to me and my petrol drone. Ignore them, they are closed minded fools who will die unknown wageslaves. Apple has billions of haters yet they still sell.

Now on to the details of manufacture. Forget university, you learn barely any practical skills there. Im not saying drop out but dont rely on university to learn the skills you need for it is a theoretical place. Teach yourself CAD and graphic design and get some basic workshop tools. you can sign up for machining and welding courses but I personally just pay other people to do it. Once you can design on the computer and know enough science and maths to not designcompletely retarded things youre golden. Godspeed.
>>
>>900660
>3d printed statues
>delivery drones

with meme business ideas like those i can see why you were "attacked"
>>
>>900645
We have a dedicated board for this kind of stuff, particularly since you want to talk about business in general.
>>>/biz/

>>900660
You sure sound butthurt.
>>
>>900676
>>900680
Enjoy doing overtime for your boss ;)
>>
>>900686
enjoy you're failed businesses and being poor ;)
>>
>>900699
Enjoy crushing regret on your deathbed because you were too much of a pussy to try
>>
>>900645
>Even though i do not have a product yet, i still feel like figuring out what it takes to start a business,
That depends on what country you are in.

>,,, is there anyone in here that has ever tried starting their own production of some sorts,
Various thoughts and opinions...
--Light manufacturing is generally considered to be the most expensive small business to be in; (in the USA) there are typically large equipment and liability costs compared to most other businesses.

--I am most of the way to developing a new product; I've spent 5+ years and at least $40K on it so far. Haven't made a dime yet.

--Making anything that other people (or factories) can easily copy is a very unlikely way to succeed. The only reason I'm trying is that I have a product for a niche market that normal factories in this industry cannot duplicate, and changing their equipment to allow duplicating it would cost them way more money than they would profit.

--Patents won't protect you from anything, they are merely a legality (and one that can be ignored in a lot of countries in the world).
There are other options, like the kickstarter-type things.
I consider these to be just pump-and-dump schemes and borderline fraud; personally I find them distasteful. Usually the only innovative aspect is the PR bullshit on the flashy web page--and a lot of times they copy that too.
But people do get rich at it; and a lot of those people have way more money than me. So if all you want to do is "get rich running a business" it is an option. I find the concept of "selling nothing" rather odd.
>>
>>900709
>>900660
much respect gentlemen, thx for your answers.
>>
>>900709
>Making anything that other people (or factories) can easily copy is a very unlikely way to succeed
>Patents won't protect you from anything

Always remember: if it's a gimmick and it catches on, it will be manufactured at a fraction of the cost and sold on ebay with free worldwide shipment within a few months.
>>
>>900708
Enjoy early death because you wasted money trying something obviously stupid.
>>
>>900645
Drugs, man. Drugs.

Prison and cartel violence are market risks, but you can minimize your risk by getting in and out fast.
>>
>>900660
>3D printing
>drones
>2015
this is what is referred to in business circles as the limping-along model

sage btw
>>
>>900653
I read (a little outdated) book about "visionary" companies. It was called something like built for the future I think. Anyways one of the main ideas of the book was that a lot of "visionary" companies (i.e. that survive economic crises) started out just wanting to have a business and didn't have any clue what they wanted to do or how. Some of the examples they gave were like boeing, 3m, walmart, and a few other big names. Not saying you're wrong, like I said the books a little dated, just some food for thought. I can try and find it to confirm the title if anyone's interested.
>>
File: 1433639244423.webm (424 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1433639244423.webm
424 KB, 1280x720
>>900660
You're more misguided than I originally thought.

Doing something because it hasn't been done before is a hobby.
Providing something because there's a demand for it is a business.

When you think you know better, you stop learning. Calling your critics "new tech people" shows your narrowmindedness.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.