[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I fill this in?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: 0DSC_1893-600x398.jpg (58 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
0DSC_1893-600x398.jpg
58 KB, 600x398
Picture is similar to my situation.

I have a old house and long ago someone cut a hole in the floor of my basement. It is about 10 feet long, 2 feet wide and the hole is 12 to 15 inches deep - varies slightly in width and depth - not squared up. They then lined the entire thing with about an inch thick of mortar over hardware cloth. It is dry even during hurricanes, so not a sump. Don't know what it is. They covered it with a wooden platform. Shit I'm sick of it and want to put the floor back like it was originally. The hole wasn't cut with a saw, but some hand tools, so I trimmed the edges square with a concrete saw. But now what do I do? Do I fill it with gravel? Don't want to cart all that gravel. I'm thinking concrete blocks and some kind of metal screen stuff maybe somehow. Help me Concrete Masters!
>>
Theres a dead body in there.
>>
>>884946
>The hole wasn't cut with a saw
Turkish paw for some turkish bogs.
>>
>>884946
tube of expanding foam
>>
>>884950
That shit will crack the foundation. No kidding.
>>
>>884951
so just fill in the cracks with more foam?
>>
rubble/cinderblocks to 8", gravel to 4", concrete finish.
>>
Fill with gravel and tamp down to make it hold weight. 1cu yd of gravel isn't that much for an able bodied person to move. If you insist on being lazy build a small chute through a basement window and shovel it down. If you want a concrete pad on top leave 3" between gravel and top of existing basement slab. Install asphalt expansion joint around edges of new pad before pouring or cut an expansion/control joint in your new slab section so that when it eventually cracks it won't look like crap. If you're too lazy to do it properly don't bother, concrete work isn't difficult just gotta use your back.
>>
>>884946
>>884971
If you build a chute, it might be a good idea to wet the gravel beforehand to avoid clouds of dust in the basement.
>>
Thanks
>>884970
>>884971
>>884973

I'm thinking that some mortared-in cinder block would help since I'm not sure how strong the "walls" of my pit are. Don't want the gravel bowing the sides of the pit out.

When I get to within 3 inches I' thinking a layer of plastic sheeting and concrete wire mesh. Am I missing anything? I'm thinking rebar is overkill.
>>
>>884947
>ITT- anons unwittingly assist a murderer
>>
>>885230
Yeah no shit he should probably dig first
>>
>>885232
>anon digs down
>hits a metal coffin
>OH GOD THEY BURIED SOMEONE
>smashes through it
>It met by an explosion of shit, piss, and poogas
>it was where they repaired the main sewage line
>>
I'd fill that hole with a similarly sized safe and floor it over
>>
>>885239
The main sewer line runs through my front yard. I've got a man hole in my front yard. Looks ridiculous. Like I said, I live in an old house. They did some crazy stuff back in the old days.
>>
>>885243
This is an idea I could learn to love.
>>
>>885239
>poogas
i say poo gas all the time an i get funny looks.
two days in a row now i see anon on /diy/ saying it.
feels good.
>>
FRIEND, YOU SIMPLY GO UNNAGROUND. CREATE VIETCONG TUNNEL SYSTEM
>>
fill it with rubble to take up some of the volume so you're not spending money on a large amount of concrete, you'll be able to get some for free from someone who's demolishing something then pour concrete over the top.

or if you don't mind spending a bit more you could use concrete blocks or bricks.
>>
>>884946
Dig hole. Add body. Cover with lime.
>>
File: 1442868633614.jpg (46 KB, 480x716) Image search: [Google]
1442868633614.jpg
46 KB, 480x716
>>884946
fill hole with crushed stone
hand tamp
drill a few holes in the vertical face around the perimeter of the knockout
place rebar dowels in the hole so they hang out about 6"
(epoxy them if in place you wanna get fancy)
top with 4" of rete
trowel to finish
fin
>>
>>885297
I'd love to avoid using an expansion/control joint. If this would allow me to not use one, I'd do it.
>>
>>885243
If anon sends me a big ol' safe, I'll swear I'll bury it in the hole - and post pictures. :-D
>>
>>885310
You're thinking of reddit dick wad, fuck off back to there
>>
Just put some polythene down at the bottom so the damp cant get through the floor, then fill with hardcore (broken bricks or any old rubble, bash that shit down) then lay 6" of concrete

wet the concrete before you lay so you dont get cracks around the edges.
>>
>>885315
anon is cruel and heartless ... also cheap .. ahaha!
>>
>>885309
A control joint is just a kerf in the rete, and expansion joint is a full depth cut.
You don't need either for your application.
>>
>>885330
You are telling me what I want to hear, so I like it. Since I know little about concrete slab pouring, a few details as to why would be interesting :-)
>>
>>884946

Some good advice here. The area around that rebar looks like the footing. I'd put a temporary form board along the side of the footing and pour that area full. The rest of the trench can be filled with rubble, gravel and then poured with a slab 4" or 6" deep
>>
>>885415
buy a few bags of pre mix and follow the instructions on the bag.
Wheel barrel, shovel, some water.
hell, you can even use a block of wood as a trowel.

use 3/8 or 1/2 rebar for the dowels, rent an sds+ hammer drill and appropriate size bit

a few buckets of aggregate from a landscaping yard or an empty building lot to fill the hole

soak the perimeter of the hole in the floor so the new concrete bonds better, or use a bonding agent if you wanna get crazy about it (bonding agent is just sealer. Concrete cures better when it remains wet, and cured concrete tends to wick moisture away from wet concrete)

honestly it's pretty easy job, basically foolproof.
>>
>Wanting to fill in a secret tunnel someone started for you.
You don't deserve her anyway fucking normie!!!!
>>
Just get some fill gravel or broken concrete block, fill it to about 8 inches, cover with hardware cloth or screen, and finish the top with concrete. Also, if there are any relief joints on the concrete, be sure to follow them on the top concrete, it'll save you a lot of heartache in the future.
>>
just fill the hole with more dead bodies.

it's almost like you're not even dedicated to being a murderer
>>
>>885419
I'll fill the end for sure, thanks.

>>885422
What's the dowel spacing? And how deep do I drill the hole?
>>
File: Trench.jpg (120 KB, 617x906) Image search: [Google]
Trench.jpg
120 KB, 617x906
>>884946
>Picture is similar to my situation.

Why can no one ever post a picture of their actual project?
>>
>>885260
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me8nwMPn3nM
>>
>>885555
couple of dowels in each side, about 6" deep.
cut the rebar with a 4" grinder and a zip blade, or a hacksaw for dem forearm gains
>>
You want to fill it with something that doesn't wick moisture up to your floor! So no crushed concrete or bvricks, there will be capillary action... Proper kind of gravel, taht is. Don't know the correct term in english though, no dictionary knows the word "kapillaarikatko" :D
>>
>>885721
The SDS drill + bit is way longer than the width of the hole, so the rebar is going to have to go in at an angle (parallel to the surface. but at an angle otherwise). I guess that is better than nothing.

Thanks all for the tips anons.
>>
hydraulic sand. It will flow right in and consolidate as the water evaporates.
>>
>>884946
That's a big hole
>>
>>885734
Capillary action is correct in English.
>>
>>885239
Don't Open It!
>>
Dude you're either going to be hauling gravel, or wet concrete into your basement. Just gravel up to -2", and concrete the rest. Done.
>>
Keep digging anon maybe you'll find something neat. I did once when I was burying my dog. Found what appeared to be a thigh bone. I don't know enough to tell if it was human, bird, or other mammal. I decided that was deep enough, threw it back in, a bit of dirt, dog coffin, and then filled the hole. Did I find somebody's lunch?, did I find a murdered infant? did I find a dead baby from a native american or early settler? was it somebody else's dog?, I'll never know.
>>
Fill with SB2 gravel (packs well) and the rest with concrete. 3 or so 80 lb bags should do it.
>>
>>884946
Put ten centimeters of sandgravel, fill up with rubble/stones/gravel, pour 2/3 sand/cement into the cracks between the rubble/stones (wet them a bit first), once it gets hard get 1/3 sand/cement over it and level it with the floor.
>>
>>884952
Loled hard
>>
My bro just bought a 10ft x 4ft x 3/16" thick sheet of cold rolled steel for under 200 bucks.

OP could lay a similar sheet over the hole and be good to go, drilling and bolting it in place if desired.

BTW the easy way to handle those is to use visegrips. We tightened the knobs with another pair of visegrips to prevent slippage. In our case he was using the sheet to spread the load of a large metal lathe over his wooden floor.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.