[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Creating a very resistant bike lock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10
File: 41mBBM7BkYL.jpg (31 KB, 500x435) Image search: [Google]
41mBBM7BkYL.jpg
31 KB, 500x435
Hello /diy/, I am currently soliciting ideas for a bike chain/cable/lock system that I could create from taking a retail model and further enhancing.

Ideas:
>Kevlar shroud over the chain and all under layers, loose hanging.
>Woven Kevlar sleeves that are snugly wrapped around the existing cable.
>Using multiple lockups/multiplying the time needed to cut through.

I live and go to school at a large flagship state university, and very recently the school has implemented a "Bicycle Registration" policy, requiring that all bikes kept on campus be registered with Parking/Transit services with a little sticker attached to the bike, recording the owner, model name, and specific/unique details of the bike.

For reasons unknown, they will begin confiscating all unregistered bikes found on campus, and from what I've seen they carry portable battery operated DeWalt disk grinders. I'd estimate 5" inch disks.

Instead of registering my bike to the school for no cost, I have decided to go full retard and make a political statement, protesting the very morality of why we should suddenly start registering our bikes in the first place, when bike theft has never been a major issue before. (Everyone locks their bikes up already, and the town is too small and doesn't seem to have any assholes walking around with hacksaws/cutter.)

tl;dr Want to make a bike lockup as painfully difficult and time consuming as possible for a regular sized road bicycle. Budget inside $200.
>>
>>878854
thats fucking retarded op
the uni, not you.
i back you 100%

isn't there a bike lock company that refunds your money if you send them a fucked lock?
if you have the money get the shittiest rusty shithole of a bike you can find and lock it up with as many locks as you can afford.

if you were to build your own i would say fill it with concrete maybe? i don't know if that breaks blades.
or pressurised liquid nitrogen. when they cut through it the expansion will cause it to rapidly cool and burn their hands.

consider: black marker to cover up other peoples registration details. don't pen the bike, just the info. then you can just put a blacked out sticker on your bike and claim ignorance.
>>
>>878856
>if you have the money get the shittiest rusty shithole of a bike you can find and lock it up with as many locks as you can afford.
I thought of this earlier, but my bike isn't necessarily the priciest thing around, and it kind of hurts the purpose of this whole endeavor. I use my bike daily, I pay tuition, why should I have to "Register" my bicycle?

>if you were to build your own i would say fill it with concrete maybe? i don't know if that breaks blades.
Weight isn't an issue, I'm willing to lug 10lbs worth of lock for this little crusade of mine. That would work if I started with one of those Kryptonite U-Locks like original picture. I am pretty sure that would be harsh on blades, but I think proper steel alloys would work just as well.

I just want them to burn through as many blades to "Rescue" my bike, maybe just one of those fuckwits will realize how asinine the entire thing is.
>>
>>878864
>I pay tuition
>paying to ride a bicycle
wait what?
>>
>>878866
Tuition for classes I mean, plus I pay for housing as I live on campus. There's no excuse for them to say I have no right to have a bicycle on campus without being "Registered"
>>
The university probably just doesn't want a a ton of random bikes filling up the bike racks. They want control over them so the can remove bikes they suspect are owned by students or bikes that are left behind.
>>
>>878869
This doesn't happen though. There are maybe 10-15 bikes left over at the end of the year that the end up auctioning off. Most of these bikes are used by international students who abandoned them after going home for the summer. There are very few bikes that get left in the same spot for more than 10 days due to not being used.
>>
File: 05-forever-cable.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
05-forever-cable.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
>>878854
Forever lock.

If they're cutting off locks you can file for criminal damage and theft.
>>
>>878854
Just get the largest size chain you can find and get the largest padlock you can find.
>>
do you get the lock/bike back from them? do you have to pay?

>>878864
>Weight isn't an issue
take a picture when you need a trailer to tow in a bike lock resembling a ships anchor and weld it closed.

also you should probably complain to the HIGHEST authority. not the estates guy, not the head of the school, like i mean your local state counsellor or whatever shit, they eat this crusade for a cause shit up if they think it makes them look good. 'my uni should be encouraging bike riding not intimidating users blah blah good for environment etc etc.'
>>
>>878870
Devils advocate here, but maybe those 10 - 15 bikes have caused them trouble. If they auctioned away a students bike that wasn't left on purpose.
Registration system make it easy for them to check with the owners, and have students who use bikes sign that they know the rules etc.

>>878872
this, and put Kevlar over the chain like you suggested. Still the bike will be a weak point though if they realize it.
>>
>>878871
If someone locks their bike to your fence, you are not a criminal for removing it. This is private property.
>>
Spend $150 on cheap chain and heaps of padlocks, put as many on as you can. Spend $50 on liquid nails, glue the wheels to the ground, and as much contact to the rack as possible. Do it with a rusty piece of crap, maybe even missing pieces.
>>
>>878875
Presuming a student is a campus resident it's not quite the same.
>>
OP, I support your idea. My suggestion would be to make sure you register your bike with the local PD, as it's a good idea if your bike gets stolen. Keep in mind that the uni taking your bike is stealing it.

As for the lock itself, titanium. Hard as fuck to cut and the shit will catch on fire if handled incorrectly.
>>
>>878854
nah
>>
>>878869
>>878874

i don't know what your unis are like but over here its just a bunch of fucking jobsworths.
estates have money to burn on stupid shit like this that nobody cares about.
august-september my uni has crews of people out every day with leaf blowers. 15-20 people plus they have two tractors that drive along the road with leaf blowers on the back.
you know how many leaves they actually pick up? 0.
then when the leaves get blown out onto the roads they can go out again the next day.
>>
>>878875
If someone locks their bike to a designated spot where bikes should be kept then how is it legal to go around cutting the locks and hauling the bikes away?
>>
>>878871
No, it's campus property, my fight is against the morality of requiring registration of bikes in the first place.

>>878874
Throwing the Kant card here and saying 10-15 international students forgetting their bikes does not morally justify confiscating the unregistered bikes of honest, hardworking students, especially those that live on campus.

>>878880
>Titanium lock
Very expensive. If I wanted an active defense idea like that I could net myself a charge trying to boobytrap my bike, which is not my intention.
>>
>>878880
>shit will catch on fire
make it out of phosphorus
>>
>>878874
And on top of previous post, I am fairly certain they will not cut up the bicycle itself. They will slice cables, but destroying the bike itself is probably not a risk transit staff are willing to take (for now.)
>>
>>878875
>This is private property.

>State University

>you are not a criminal for removing it

That's actually not true. If someone has a right to be a place and leaves property there, it doesn't become forfeit. What happens is that the person in possession of the property must contact the owner of the property and alert them they have so long to remove it. This is likely the reason they want you to register the bikes.
>>
>>878884
>I could net myself a charge trying to boobytrap my bike

No, you couldn't. It is not a boobytrap. They make titanium bike locks. Other metals also catch fire when worked.

How's the philosophy degree going for you?
>>
>>878884
my uni requires parking permits to park your car.
i had a permit but the car park is always full of cars without a permit so i just parked on the road which is technically owned by the council not the uni.
came out after class and there were 3 guys standing around my car asking what the fuck i thought i was doing parking there, i was blocking a dry riser apparently even though it was about 10 feet from my car and protected by signs and lines on the road. the guy had an a4 sheet 'sticker' that they put on your window if you park in the wrong area but he was too pussy to put it on my car because i wasn't in their car park.
i parked in that space for about a month before they got the application through to get a disabled parking bay put in but by that time students were losing interest in turning up so there was plenty of space in the car park.

don't let the man push you around op.
>>
If you really want change, you should try to get a boycott going. I'm assuming there are a ton of bikes. Going through the trouble of removing everyone of them wont be easy.

Print out some flyers or some shit, i don't know how to organize whatever.
>>
>>878892
I'm not aware of Titanium being flammable like that, thought you were thinking of Magnesium, not a Philo major btw.

>>878893
Cars are a different argument, and a weaker one since licensing already exists. Bicycles are not even motorized vehicles.

>>878894
They may or may not even try very hard to enforce it, there are too many unregistered bikes on campus right now.
>>
>>878897
>I'm not aware of Titanium being flammable like that, thought you were thinking of Magnesium

The chips can catch fire when milling it. Shit is dangerous since it has to be put out with a class D fire extinguisher. I doubt that it would catch on fire from them cutting it, but it's a possibility.

Get the word out. Uni's are very easy to get to change their minds on things when the students get together on issues.
>>
I used to be a locksmith for a hospital. I had to cut bike chains and locks off all the time because idiots would secure them to the hand rails out front. I'd guess I've done this between 150-200 times.

My little handheld Dremel made short work of all of them. There's nothing out there that's going to stop that more powerful DeWalt with the bigger wheel. Fuck, my Dremel went through the Boron alloy shackles like it was butter and they're supposed to be high security. I purposely destroyed the most high dollar item securing the bike.
>>
>>878903
>Ignites when machined
Well that's a fun tidbit for me, since I do millwork with mild steels/aluminum. Thanks anon, that sounds very tempting now.

Need to look up what common disks are used for defeating hardened steel, and see if anyone has recorded temps of them when engaged against certain stuff like that.
>>
there's nothing that can resist grinding in the long term. a case hardened or boron chain with 3/4" links will get you five minutes, sleeve it in aluminum or lead and that'll get you another five minutes as the soft metal smears into the 'teeth' of the abrasive disc

i think you'd be better off casting a one-ton concrete pyramid with half a bicycle jutting out and installing it as 'art', turning it's removal into a loud stupid public shitstorm. you could end up meeting the president lel
>>
>>878918
>sleeve it in aluminum or lead and that'll get you another five minutes as the soft metal smears into the 'teeth' of the abrasive disc
Now we're talking. I like the idea of a loose Kevlar jacket sleeve paired with a soft metal under jacket because I think that would help cause additional wear before the disk hits the metal.
>>
>>878919
kevlar stops chainsaws by being a really wooly weave that unravels and jams up the drive sprocket.
that's not going to work on grinding wheels because they're not hooky enough to unravel fabric, they just burn through.

putting the chain in a sock and loosely stuffing it with kevlar thread might have a chance of delaying an attacker for the thirty seconds or so it takes to remove the disc and pick the lump of fluff off.

fuckin waste of money tbh
>>
Have you considered using an alarm?

Run a wire with the chain or use the chain itself.

Once broken the alarm starts sounding driving them insane and alerting everyone to what is happening.

Also just leave a little note on the chain saying something to the effect of "This chain is private property and complies with all local laws, if you illegally remove it, I will sue for the destruction of private property." That would be enough to keep most of the low level workers from touching it because they are terrified of getting sued.
>>
>>878933
>Alarm line
Yes. This will happen. I haven't played with simple circuits like that in a while, but I'll do some experimenting and see if I can cook up something waterproof and durable/compact.
>>
>>878938
Waterproof container
9 volt alarm
9 volt battery
1 transistor
1 resistor

You can even just get a cheap door alarm online for a few bucks. Ones that sound when you open a door. Radioshack used to sell them.
>>
It's probably cause of liability. Blame the rich kids who get expensive bikes, don't insure them and don't lock them up right, and then give the uni shit when they get stolen.
>>
>>878940
Yeah either Radioshack or something like
http://www.alliedelec.com/mallory-sonalert-ps-562q/70186735/#tab=specs

A warble/two tone would sound pretty good. +Embarassment and awareness factor for everyone walking by and seeing the transit staff get eyes on.
>>
>>878942
Something like http://www.amazon.com/GE-Personal-Security-Window-Alarm/dp/B00178HMCI

Could probably be modified to work

Plus if they smash it, you get yourself some money/ tv coverage.
>>
Make sure any parts of this they can actually cut are really close to the bikes frame, so if they do try to snip it their chances of fucking up your bike in the process increase a lot more.
>>
>>878854

First off, the reason your university is doing this is because of the dickholes who lock their bikes on railings/trees/etc. The big one here is railings, as most railings are a necessary components of disability access. When jackholes lock their bikes on railings it creates big problems for people who need those hand rails to get around, and sometimes for wheelchair bound persons who need more walkway clearance to get through.

If they require bike locks, then that lets them know who the jackoffs are that are locking their bikes on the rails, or gives them an excuse to cut locks when the owner can't be found.

Second, to answer your question, the easiest and cheapest way to get this done is to make a very thick U-bolt lock. Traditional U-bolt locks, even ones that are name brand, aren't really that strong. Here's a video of someone breaking a kryptonite U-bolt in seconds with just a big ass bolt cutter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWCHzH2xEA

As you can see, a half or three quarters inch bar is no problem. You need to go really big. Kevlar and shit isn't going to help vs. an abrasive cutter like a grinder.
>>
>>878854
get a medico, assa or multilock lock, and some hardened steel chain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_7GLxmyaXM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJZ_kKjXcE
these videos have good info, and the chain in the first one should be really tough to get through. the only issue with chains and large locks are the weight.
good luck
>>
>>879185
>case hardened steel chain
I used to work in a hardware store, and we'd cut hardened chain using an angle grinder.
It takes some pretty hard ceramic shit to stop even the cheapest cut off wheel.
>>
Buy a rifle OP, you think anyone would steal this guy's bike?

And agreeing with what other people said, a nice cut off wheel will go through most every bike lock you can think of in <5 minutes. The way to go is to organize or go to news outlets/ government reps.
>>
I suggest tungsten carbide. this stuff can hardly be scratched by ordinary means.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-x-10mm-X-74mm-393-x-2-9-Tungsten-Carbide-Rod-Blank-Boring-Round-Bar-/141564537989?hash=item20f5e76c85

Obviously, tungsten carbide cannot be formed into the desired shape by a layman. Therefore, I would fill a steel pipe with tungsten carbide blanks, and bend it afterwards in a U-Shape to make a U-Lock. Or something. Just design it in a way that they will try to cut the part of the lock-like assembly which has a tungsten carbide blank hidden in the center.

Or, just buy a length of chain and a shitload of the cheapest padlocks you can find. Wind the chain like 10 times around the bike post and bike and secure every winding with a separate padlock, to increase the amount of work, not the difficulty.
>>
>>879136
>First off, the reason your university is doing this is because of the dickholes who lock their bikes on railings/trees/etc.

And if they just want to remove an unregistered bike, they'll cut the bike in two instead of the lock.
>>
>>879268
>I suggest tungsten carbide

It's very brittle. Just smack it with a hammer.
>>
>>878854
kevlar is easy to cut.
it's abrasion resistant and has a high tensile strength. not the same thing as shear resistance. you can cut it with normal scissors.
tungsten is usually the cut proof material of choice. it blunts the fuck out of tools and it would be incredibly dangerous and cause many injuries, putting an end to the tyranical grinders after the first dumbass security guard who decides to make you respect his authoritay take a half a disc to the face.

>>878856
start deploying decoy locks
under cover of darkness, apply locks to as many bicycles as you can, using just cheap locks and chain. waste their time. this is a war of attrition OP. it's time to go rambo on them. perhaps make fake chains, filled with explosives but seemingly solid steel. then when they grind through the thick chains, blamo!

>>879136
why would you use bolt cutters on that lock? you can open it by shoving the ink tube from a bic pen into the keyway.
>>
File: chain.jpg (83 KB, 945x673) Image search: [Google]
chain.jpg
83 KB, 945x673
>>879214
the solution is simple.
if the cutting disk is 5" diameter then you need chain with 5" diameter
>>
>>879304
show me a 10 foot wall and i'll show you a 11 foot ladder

OP just give up
>>
>>879304
Oh god, this would be the best solution ever. 3-4 links and a huge fucking padlock. They'd just back away slowly.
>>
OP again, thank you everyone for the suggestions/ideas so far. While reading up on someone trying steel spinners/rings to prevent solid purchase by the disk/blade, I was wondering if you could create a layer (say 1" thick jacketing an inner hard steel core layer) filled with something like small beads/material that would fly out hazardously when cut into, imagining the same effect as putting a saw to a pressurized water pipe.
>>
File: loleve.gif (1 MB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
loleve.gif
1 MB, 200x180
>>879336
I am just imagining a gigantic novelty lock that goes around the entire frame of the bike and through the fence.

Meanwhile OP is walking around with a key that comes up to his waist that's cut from plate steel.
>>
File: dont.png (146 KB, 730x917) Image search: [Google]
dont.png
146 KB, 730x917
>>879340
Anything to help get the message across to them.
>>
File: l2.jpg (40 KB, 434x579) Image search: [Google]
l2.jpg
40 KB, 434x579
>>879343
New plan.

OP has to have a gigantic novelty padlock built.
>>
>>879345
As long as he hauls around hundreds of pounds of huge steel chain too.
>>
carbide lock, completely encased with a sewn sleeve of the same material as chainsaw pants, put a layer of that fucking fiberglass headerwrap around that, then secure that iwth duct tape, and maybe several layers of fiberglass and resin to make it a hard shell. They'll try to cut it, and it will wrap itself around their grinder, after spewing out a shit load of lung damaging fibers.
>>
>>879383
almost forgot to mention you should mix a bunch of phosphorous into the resin so it ignites when they start trying to grind it, but it won't damage the other materials beneath because of the fiberglass header wrap.
it will be like the layers of an onion from hell.
>>
Don't do anything intended to harm the security peeps. They will arrest your ass for that.
>>
File: my lawyers fees when.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
my lawyers fees when.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>879389
>see innocuous bicycle just sitting there
>shit doesn't even belong to me
>guess I'll be a fucking asshole and cut the lock and steal it, based around some retard logic
>get hurt doing so, because I'm a fucking dumbass
more than you can afford pal
>>
>>879407
>be on my property.
>I let people on my awesome property sometimes. I charge them a fee for it.
>some asshole locked a bike up in the middle of my handicap access ramp.
>cant contact owner in a reasonable amount of time.
>just cut it off
>injured by intentional trap in lock
>ow what the fuck
>>
>>879420
except that it's public property if it's a public uni, and according to op, they're confiscating bikes based on some registration system, so even if a non student, who never agreed to or has knowledge of the registration system legally locks their bike to a public bike rack, it could be taken.
>>
>>879424
>public uni
>Must be public property
You have to be a troll to be this stupid
The courthouse is a public service by the government so it must be public property. So it's like I own because I'm some of the public. I can go up there and take a shit on a judge's desk if he wants because it's public proberty.

Fug man.
>>
>>879424
>except that it's public property if it's a public uni

1) No

2) Even on public property, the community is free to set limits on what you can and can't do
>>
>>879346
Because this huge padlock couldn't act like a giant u-lock?
>>
>>879585
THE CHAIN PULLS IT ALL TOGETHER THOUGH!!!

>>879559
How stupid are you?

The courthouse is public property, so are side walks, public parks, and public schools.

This doesn't means rules and laws can't be in place stating how it can be used. Public parks close. Public schools don't allow non-students to wander around them.

These rules and laws are put in place by the community though.

If you wanted to start a petition to get a judge's office turned into a bathroom, so you can shit in it, it could very possibly be voted into place.

With that stated, State Universities are public property, the grounds on which are open to the public. That means you can go to any state university in the US and walk around campus all you want. This is true of the courthouse too, try it tomorrow, go walk in, they'll let you.
>>
>>879588
Anon help. I'm in jail. I forgot I had a knife on my keychain and then I said I have a right to be there and they can't stop me.
>>
>>879588
You don't seem to understand how property laws work in even the most rudimentary sense.

Example; if you walk onto a public school you shouldn't be at, it will literally go into lockdown and the police will greet you by tackling you to the ground.
>>
>>879597

I'm actually a government worker positioned in a school. We do get parents that come into the building without checking in. We do not go into lockdown for it. There was a new law passed that requires the main entrance be secured so everyone must pass through the front office now.

You seem to be the one lacking an understanding of property laws here. Plus your reading comprehension seems to be lacking. I clearly stated that there are rules and laws in place on how public property is used.

So instead of trying to come up with an actual counterpoint, you make a hyperbolic statement.

Now, if you wanted to you could start lobbying for reform that will open public school campuses like they were pre-columbine. You just won't get any traction.

>>879596
You do have a right to access the courthouse, you don't have the right to bring a deadly weapon there.

It's okay though children, keep acting like you know what you're talking about.
>>
>>879608
It's almost like they'd have to right to regulate who can and can't lock a bike up.... huh.

>Government worker
guess that explains why you're so fucking dumb you don't even know what the thread is about.
>>
>>879632
>It's almost like they'd have to right to regulate who can and can't lock a bike up.... huh.

Most likely not, these decisions are often made by individuals working there. Not by the governing body. That's the equivalent of you choosing how much a Big Mac costs at work. You don't have the authority to make that call.

If OP is a student, he has a right to leave his bike there. They cannot damage his property or take it. The equivelent of this would be when your mom's boyfriend comes and stays at your house for an overnight sleep over, you can't sell it car. Personal property is not forfeit to the owner of the land the property resides on. My damaging it, they are committing a crime.

I do know what this thread is about, I've contributed to it, I simply replied to >>879559, which I assume is likely you due to your clear frustration, stating how the post was incorrect.

Anyways, little buddy, I have to go to bed now. I have to work in the morning. You should get to sleep too so you can be well rested for school tomorrow!
>>
>>879638
and I could get someone's car towed and impounded if he blocked my driveway or parked on my property without my permission.

>The individuals working there
That... were hired by the governing body? That's the equivalent of the area manager deciding this store really needs to sell big macs for $.50 less, or this one can't participate in the new coffee promo they are advertising in the next county.

You think it's just one security guard got a bug up his ass and decided to start cutting bikes apart because He Is The Law? You think it's not a policy they set that's going into effect?

They have a whole department issuing parking permits for bikes and shit.

Op is probably a freshman at UCSB and is a faggot that thinks he's going to change the world when the truth is there would be way too many fucking bikes there if everyone that wanted to bring one did.
>>
File: santa catalina.jpg (748 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
santa catalina.jpg
748 KB, 900x675
>>879638
Do you think this is a fucking game?
>>
>>879643
>and I could get someone's car towed and impounded if he blocked my driveway or parked on my property without my permission.

That isn't the example he used though. OP is allowed by law to park his bike there as he is a paying student on campus. If you bike to the supermarket and chain your bike to the bike stand. They can't just come out and take your bike. It doesn't matter if it's public or private property.

Can you please stop shitting up the thread and just stick to the topic?

Duct tape OP. Three rolls of it. Just tape the bike to the bike stand. Layer it with fiberglass mesh to it doesn't cut easily.

I doubt it would last very long but it would make a big statement.
>>
Check out political websites. Some of the goons who chain themselves to shit have made cutting shit apart totally fucking nightmarish for the people trying to remove them,
>>
>>879659
Setting themselves in concrete is my favorite
>>
I just thought of something.

your not cutting tempered glass with any angle grinder. Use the U bolt design but fill it with concrete mixed with shattered tempered glass. now the only problem is how to secure it with more of the same.

FUCK. use another u bold but a smaller diameter so the Us fit inside of each other to form a oval but still filled with concrete and glass and just concrete them together.
>>
I can't think of anything practical that can't be cut by an angle grinder and isn't so brittle you can just smash it

I mean you could for example get a u lock that's so big you cant cut it because the grinder is too small... Maybe an x-shaped crossection, hugely unpractical

Bike locks aren't theft proof, they just delay thieves so long it's not worthwile/they get caught. But campus security is just gonna take their time, unless you make it a boobytrap but that's just stupid
>>
What's stopping them from cutting your frame if they can't cut your lock?

Which takes maybe 20 seconds
>>
>>879719
The fact that they don't want the lock hanging from the railing any more than they want your bike.
>>
>>879651
>a "Bicycle Registration" policy, requiring that all bikes kept on campus be registered with Parking/Transit services with a little sticker attached to the bike

Yeah... If he registers it.

He can't bring a gun on campus either and he has a fucking 2nd amendment right to do that. If op wanted to join the freedom club he shouldn't have gone to a state funded school
>>
>>879651
>. They can't just come out and take your bike. It doesn't matter if it's public or private property.
Yes they can. Have you never tried to this?

Yes they can confiscate ops bike. Not only are they an entity he is attending at will, they are part of the state .

They will kill you for resisting arrest, and they get to do whatever they fucking want because they are the state.

Best outcome op gets expelled and loses his tuition. Worst he gets arrested and goes to jail
>>
>>879741
>He can't bring a gun on campus either and he has a fucking 2nd amendment right to do that.

I go to a State University that has a gun vault on campus. You're not allowed to store firearms in the dorms for obvious reasons so they offer students an option to keep them stored away safely.

So there goes that argument.

Also "not being able to carry a gun" that is a matter of state law. It is illegal to carry a gun unless you are a peace officer in federal buildings such as federal courthouses, posts offices, and federal prisons.

Also don't give me that second amendment bullshit. I can't walk into a theater and yell BOMB but the first amendment says I have the freedom of speech.

>>879743
>Yes they can. Have you never tried to this?

I should say they can't legally do this. Of course they *can* do it. However, if they do it, they have committed theft and damage to property and you should call them out on it.

>Yes they can confiscate ops bike. Not only are they an entity he is attending at will, they are part of the state .

I am a worker at a state university, I'll be taking your car now faggot. I'm a state worker so I'm allowed to.

>They will kill you for resisting arrest, and they get to do whatever they fucking want because they are the state.

I'll make sure to tell my buddy who works for campus security that he's allowed to use deadly force. going to be hard though since he's not even allowed to carry pepper spray. The state can do whatever they want huh? Like how Arkansas schools are still not racially integrated because the federal government didn't step in? Or how the gays can't get married in the US because some state officials refuse to accept it?

>Best outcome op gets expelled and loses his tuition. Worst he gets arrested and goes to jail

Best outcome is that OP gets a high paid job as a figure head for a civil rights organization. Likely case scenario is that he gives up.

God damn 4chan is fucking stupid.
>>
File: axa-frameslot-solid-xl-1[1].jpg (85 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
axa-frameslot-solid-xl-1[1].jpg
85 KB, 600x600
Use both a U-Lock by abus or Kryptonite(warning,Not easily available for us Europeans) And combine it with a heavy gauge chain lock from the other brand(one chain or uLock abus,the other one Kryptonite.

Bike theft is a suprisingly hard thing to estimate,things ive seen;

2 bikes locked together.A cheap biked chained to a lamp post,and another one (her partners bike) locked to that bike.
>They just Cut through the rear fork of the cheap bike to steal her partners quite expensive 3x10 speed hybrid cube brand bike.

Ive seen a FUCKTONNE of bikes here unlocked,either in front of their owners houses or in front of a supermarkt(ppl just forget the key i of the lock)
The other day we apprehended a bunch of marrocan kids (14-16 yo?) in front of our bike shop stealing a bike that was not locked,They all fled away on their "hallelujah style bikes" except one.

Ive seen bikes worth up to 2000 euro locked up with 20 euro locks.quite stupid tbh.

People here (NetherDumbFuckLands) lock away (sometimes quite expensive) bikes with pic related.This type of lock only blocks the real wheel,It does not anchor to to any object.
There are reports (of both customers,on many forums and the police) That at night there are (mostly white generic) vans driving through these steets,literally just picking up the anchored bikes and putting them in their vans and cutting the ringslot(srry I dont know the English word for it,look it up).Even one of our regular customers saw this happen last week(They all seem to be polish btw)With a battery powered angle grinder in the van while cruising to get othe bikes.
Quite a large & of these bikes are fairly expensive bikes(Gazelle,Cortina,Azor) That are worth 600-1200 including accesories.

Anyway ive Been rambling for long enough,excuse my English its pretty late and im tired.
Maybe you can visit >>>/n/ sometimes.Perhaps they can offer more insight to this problem/Idea of yours.
>>
>>879771
.. So your big time university you work for doesn't have parking permits or parking enforcement? If some student parked in your faculty parking spot it wouldn't get a ticket or towed?

Here's how op gets shot
>fuggin pigs, don't take my bike
>security takes bike
>rreeeeeeeeee *assaults security, takes his bike back. Runs away.
>real cops get called
>they find op, try to arrest him for assault.
>my rights! My property!!! Reeeeee
>cops fear for their life
>op shot 10+ times

That's the state, mang. They are right because they say they are.

Have you tried riding a skateboard in a shopping center? Have you never been harassed for it? Have you tried taking one inside? They don't let you do they?

They don't let you ride a bike around inside either, do they?

They don't take your bike the day you leave it because they want you as a customer even if you ride a bike. But if you abandon a bike or lock it up so it is a nuisance, you bet they will impound it, and they will be within their rights to do so. You can't leave your shit on someone else's property without their permission. You can't leave shit on public property without getting the okay from whatever entity is the caretaker of that property.

Are you the janitor at the uni or what? You're dumb as shit and can't even read.
>>
>>878879
Student campus residents have registered bikes, if it's unregistered it's assumed to be of an outsider.
>>
>>879872
>abus
no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdLTB5NnzEs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWFk4ahRlgE

>kryptonite
no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LahDQ2ZQ3e0

any 10$ lock is fine for bicycle security. although some locks do come with a bicycle replacement guarantee if your bike is stolen. so you're basically paying for bicycle insurance with the hefty price tag.

locks only make it take longer to steal and make it seem more suspicious, hopefully making it more likely that someone wont steal your bike in broad daylight, in front of CCTV, in a high traffic or patrolled location.

I use a cheap lock for my 2000$ bike, but I use the real security measures available to me. I don't lock it up, unattended for hours, in a dark alleyway.

all the universities in australia have communal bike racks that are free but also, a 15$/semester lockup bike rack with a solid steel cage around your bike so that it's difficult to steal. it solves the expensive bike security problem. access is by tag in/tag out and linked to the access control system the university uses to secure all the rooms. so if someone looses their keycard, they just report it and that card wont tag shit. if they dont report a stolen card, they get a massive fine, never allowed a card again and pay damages.
>>
>>880116
Did you even read his post you austrian shotposter?
Downvoted
>>
>>880117
yes. he said to buy an expensive lock. but that expensive locks dont work. so i gave real advice on how to not get your bike stolen.
>>
>>879977
Are you twelve? Learn how to read.

>I go to a State University
Student.

>That's the state, mang. They are right because they say they are.

That's bullshit. people fight the sate and win every single day in the thousands.

>Have you tried riding a skateboard in a shopping center?

No. I'm an adult. I don't skateboard.

>They don't let you ride a bike around inside either, do they?

This is a safety issue, you're not allowed to endanger another person. How is taking a bike into a private building remotely related to keeping a bike outside of a public building. Those are literally the opposite things in every possible way.

>They don't take your bike the day you leave it because they want you as a customer even if you ride a bike.

They don't take your bike because it is illegal seizure of property.

>But if you abandon a bike or lock it up so it is a nuisance, you bet they will impound it, and they will be within their rights to do so.

What is so hard to understand about this? They have given you permission to park your bike on their property. They are open to the public and give you a place to park the bike. BY LAW they are required to attempt to locate the owner of the bike, and request that it be removed. If the request is not fulfilled within a reasonable time then the property is considered abandoned. At this point it can be legally sold or disposed of.

Now what is confusing you is that most will just ignore the law and throw it away because the owner will likely never confront them or challenge them in any way. If they do, they'd probably just pay them to get them to leave them alone.

>You can't leave your shit on someone else's property without their permission.

No, you can't. Very good.

>You can't leave shit on public property without getting the okay from whatever entity is the caretaker of that property.

Can you please show me the signed document you have from your city's Public Works dept saying you can park on city streets?
>>
>Can you please show me the signed document you have from your city's Public Works dept saying you can park on city streets?

That's why you pay a fee every year to register your car.
>>
>>880441
>They have given you permission to park your bike on their property.
BUT THEY FUCKING DIDN'T THAT IS WHY OP IS DOING HIS CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE BULLSHIT. THEY REVOKED THE RIGHT TO PARK THE BIKE ON THEIR PROPERTY. BECAUSE THEY FELT LIKE IT AND THEY CAN
>>
>>880447
Campus security is not the land owner, the state is. They don't have the authority to remove such rights. There would need to be a law passed.

I don't know where OP lives. but I'm sure his city/state probably doesn't have a law or ordinance dictating the bike parking policies.

Anyways, you two kids can keep arguing, thread hidden since there hasn't been anything productive added in days.
>>
>>880451
Does the state need to pass a law everytime the school builds a classroom or a parking structure? The school is in charge of its own land. You are unbelievable. You don't have a right to park a bike on anyone's property. Schools can regulate its own property. Jesus Christ.

The school already can tow and ticket vehicles. Bikes are vehicles.

>Select all images with bicycles.
>>
>>880462
>Does the state need to pass a law everytime the school builds a classroom or a parking structure? The school is in charge of its own land.

Different anon here. I work construction and building on state land is actually a huge clusterfuck. It's nothing like building on private property. Takes months for anything to get started because of all the bureaucracy involved.

Recently had work on a high school that had flood damage that caused a transformer to blow. It took 4 months to get it repaired.

>Old transformer was below ground
>Construction law said it couldn't be below ground
>Pit was filled with toxic waste due to flood water and oil from transformer so EPA had to get involved and check to see if groundwater contamination occurred
>Get pit pumped out and signed off on
>City orders that pit be filled instead of grate installed over
>New transformed to be installed on back side of school
>People across the street had a city ordinance enacted that doesn't allow for use of flood lights after 9:00PM because they didn't like the lights on the tennis courts shining in their windows.
>They fight the installation due to it being much closer to their houses, light and noise will bother them
>They win
>Project over budget
>Has to go back to school board for approval of new budget
>Denied
>School has to apply for state emergency grant
>Approved
>New location required, move it to side facing highway
>No one protests
>Have to reapply for building permits from state

Holy shit that was a cluster fuck. Plus we couldn't work past dusk because we couldn't use flood lights.
>>
>>880476
That seems all like local fuckery and not specific to it being a school.

Or anywhere in California. Fuck building in this state.
>Lake Isabella. Biggest shithole in the state.
>A wild business appears! Everything else in town is fucking closed up or only operating because they own the buildings outright. No one makes money or has a job, it's all just welfare queens.
>People that work here come in from out of the area because it's so shitty.
--- Anyway
>A wild business appears, going to bring some jobs in. Dollar General cheap food stamp market.
>Going to install some lights
>Everyone loses their goddamn minds.
>Going to build a parking lot.
>Everyone loses their goddamn minds, you need to buy us a new highway before you can do that.
>They almost just leave, but those welfare bucks are enough to get them to stay since that's their entire business model.

>Oil spill at a school
>EPA
Well yeah.

>Floodlight/zoning
Well yeah

>Over budget
After that shit, well yeah.

>transformer couldn't be underground anymore
Lol wut. The new standard IS burial transformers, that's what all the cities do want nowadays.
>>
>>880495
>Lol wut. The new standard IS burial transformers, that's what all the cities do want nowadays.

It was in an open pit next to the building like you see on old buildings with steel grating on top of it.

A lot of it was due to it being a school. There is no one person who can approve anything there.

Director of Building Services oversees project
Director of Finances makes the budget approval
Superintendent gets say in it.
School board has to approval everything with a majority vote.

We've done some other government work before. It's always a clusterfuck. Union stuff always cracks me up since the jobsite can have 5+ different unions on it at any given time.

I did some work at the same high school this summer because now they're legally required to have every entrance secured. So someone has to walk through the front office to get into the building. That went much smoother since any hiccups were met with "law says we have to do this".
>>
>>880451
>There would need to be a law passed.
there really would not, a rule is good enough. a state agency can do whatever it wants as long as those things comply with the law.
>>
>>880441
>No. I'm an adult. I don't skateboard.
Oooh look at Mr. Grownup over here
>>
>>879632
>>879597
damn u dumb nigga
>>
Use a hidden shackle lock to connect the chain. that way they will cut the chain which is cheaper.

>>878854
What happens to the confiscated bikes? I suspect that even if you get your lock destroyed, you will get your bike back by asking for it (suggest taking a selfie with it unlocked for evidence you own specific bike, may help)

Go bitch at parking office. Ask for the rationale of it. Deliver request in writing for minutes of the meetings where the new policy was discussed. Ask to see the cost benefit analysis on the policy, the statistics on bike theft. Basically freedom of information requests until they run out of budget on paying interns to photocopy.
Also, start a petition against that. make your political statement actually political.
>>
As a bike mechanic, you should just register your bike. They aren't doing it to have more control, they're doing it for the safety of your bike. If your bike happened to be stolen by another student on campus or a non student, the registration will allow for the an easier police report. Also, Kryptonite makes a heavy duty chain that weighs almost 20 lbs that is extremely hard to cut through, but you should invest in this type of lock anyways to prevent theft.
>>
>>879872
>People here (NetherDumbFuckLands) lock away (sometimes quite expensive) bikes with pic related.This type of lock only blocks the real wheel,It does not anchor to to any object.

umm, because there are more bikes than lampposts/railings to lock them onto? and, also, not sure but aren't there objects that you're not supposed to lock your bike to by the local law?

anyhow, cool story for the rest part. want moar. tell me, what are the risks for the white van poles and maroccan kids? what happened to that kid that got caught? what value of a stolen bike(-s) qualifies as criminal offense in netherlands?
>>
>>879303
>tungsten is usually the cut proof material of choice. it blunts the fuck out of tools and it would be incredibly dangerous and cause many injuries, putting an end to the tyranical grinders after the first dumbass security guard who decides to make you respect his authoritay take a half a disc to the face.

quality post.
>>
>>878889
Having a right to be there doesn't give right to spread personal property everywhere. Get a real job, leave personal property in place boss says not to leave it, watch boss toss your crap away or you can go look for a new job. When on someone else's property, your personal property is your responsibility.
>>
>>880451
Campus security are given limited governing authority over their jurisdiction. Anything short of bringing heavy national attention and lawsuits, the campus security can make rules. The state doesn't make curfew laws, but campus security can impose campus curfews. Campus security can chase off non-students at whim. State cops can't really do that on public streets.
>>
>>882680
>>879303

Tungsten is insanely expensive as far as structural metals go. Easily $50/lb, and the stuff is so dense (nearly double the density of lead and well over twice that of your average steel) that there's hardly anything TO a pound of the stuff. It would probably work, but I mean you'd be looking at like easily $400 worth of tungsten, nevermind that the stuff is nearly impossible to machine thanks to its retardedly high melting point and hardness.
>>
>>878854
Buy a small GPS tracking device. No Wifi shit. Just sync it with computer. Track it everywhere. Take your bike seat and/or wheel with you to piss the thiefs off more.
>>
>>883126
Be sure to put that SMALL device inside the bike's frame or something. Think like a ninja.
>>
>>883126
Then what, is OP going to go over to crackhead central and take the bike back by force?

There's only so much you can do with cycles, you can lock it up with the phattest chain in the world but some chucklefuck with a battery grinder will pop that sucker off and make off with your bike.
>>
>>878903
>Get the word out. Uni's are very easy to get to change their minds on things when the students get together on issues.

Make sure you frame it as a womens rights issue, or having something to do with transgender rights - they pay attention to that shit.
>>
>>879304
reminds me of the D-shackle rated for 60 tons I have. Would make an excellent bike lock, but I already have 2 and there's plenty of other easier to steal bikes so I'm not particularly worried.
>>
>>880119
He's not worried about theft. He wants to stop the university from cutting his lock with power tools, unlimited time, and no fear of getting caught.
>>
>>880116
Pen doesn't work on newer locks with "I" style key.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.