[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I acquired all these vintage motorbike magazines from a relative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
I acquired all these vintage motorbike magazines from a relative who wanted rid of them. I was thinking of doing something artsy with them but not I dont know what, ideas?
>>
>>1021072
>Want to do something artsy
>No idea

how about burn them
>>
I'd Ebay those mags instead of fucking them up, then spend the money.

Any art project kills the magazine other than framing the whole mag without damage.

Vintage motorcycle rider/collectorfag here.
>>
>>1021079 what he says
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much better an art project you'll do with the cash from those
>>
>>1021080
Money also buys delicious tools.

When selling copy other GOOD mag ads and keywords. Thunderbird, Trophy, Triumph etc relate to OPs pic.

I'd take pic of table of contents, cover and an interesting pic from inside but no full articles so they buy to read.
>>
>>1021079
This frame the whole thing or just sell them on Ebay, I had a bunch of these and they are fun to read, advertising back in the day was way different than it is now.
>>
sell them to jay leno, or give them to him, he eats that shit up
>>
Scan super high resolution images of every ad page and front / back cover. Actually just do them all.

Upload the zip file for DIY to play with.

Sell actual copies to whomever.

>help me OP won ke-nO-P, you're my only hope
>>
>>1021072
How many did you get?
>>
>>1021072

Just scan the covers plus any interesting adverts, then print them off to sell as vintage poster reproductions at £4 a pop. Just print to order.

Then make a back up of your scans and sell the original magazines.
>>
>>1021079
>>1021080
>>1021412
>>1021559
>>1021147
Where is everyone getting the idea that anyone will buy these things?
>>
>>1021560
Because enthusiast will buy anything related to their interest.
>>
>>1021560
My thoughts exactly, but then I checked eBay. If they're in good condition, they're apparently worth around $5 a piece.
>>
>>1021563
>it being posted on ebay
>meaning its actually worth what they ask for it

Youll spend more money on posting fees than you ever will by actually selling stuff
>>
>>1021560
As an actual straight magazine they have very little worth but once you put them in a frame or a shadow box they become "art", then hipsters and the "art" crowd will want them, the old fashioned covers will appeal to a lot more people as a picture you can hang than a dusty old magazine you have to store away, they're never going to be worth a fortune but they might fetch $20 each as art, do that enough times and it adds up.
>>
>>1021564
>meaning its actually worth what they ask for it
If it were just one or two sellers, I'd agree.
>Youll spend more money on posting fees
Sell them in packs of 10 or something.
>>
>>1021566
>>1021565
There are good ways to make money, and bad ways to make money.
This is one of those bad ways, its not sustainable and the amount of effort needed is just not worth it.

Just my opinion. I just grew up with a mother who spent the large majority of her days driving around thrift shops to sell clothes on ebay, during the initial heyday of ebay.
It quickly go to the point it wasnt worth the effort but she kept doing it.

I see all scans/manuals/picture type shit on ebay as not worth it. Its just a waste of time, better ways to make money with the same effort
>>
>>1021564
>Youll spend more money on posting fees than you ever will by actually selling stuff

Only if your an idiot how doesn't calculate his cost and profit before listing.
>>
>>1021569
>Only if your an idiot how doesn't calculate his cost and profit before listing.

Sure
The problem lies with you having no clue on whether any of them will actually sell so there is no way to actually calculate it.

There is a very real possibility that he will sell little to none of them, especially when there is other long term competition on there.
If he isnt ready for the long haul, he is going to pay insertion fees, and then subsequent relisting fees. In the case he doesnt sell much, the fees will have eaten up any profit quickly.

He asked about making art, not about building and running a niche ebay store
>>
>>1021673
Full-time online seller here.

These will sell. Probably not fast and definitely not for a large sum. People like retro things.

The real question is how many OP has. Did he acquire 6 magazines, or did he acquire 600 magazines. If closer to the former, make a collage or something. If closer to the latter, sell them online in lots of 12 by the year (assuming it is a monthly publication) if you have them. You could clear $100 on a 12 issue set with free shipping, assuming they are all in good shape.

In the US, you can ship magazines via Media Mail which is cheap as balls. Insert fees will be free unless OP tries to list tons all in the same month. Ebay and paypal will eat 14% of your total sales.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.