[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Welding Masks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: MIL267370[1].jpg (21 KB, 327x420) Image search: [Google]
MIL267370[1].jpg
21 KB, 327x420
How fast do auto dim masks get dark and then lighten up again?

Would they protect against something like a flash bang Grenade?
>>
>>1019835
Pretty damn fast.
Maybe.
>>
>>1019835
Depends on the quality of the mask.

This is also a classic point of contention between old and newschool welders.

I think it would help for sure, but a welding mask is designed to protect your eyes from a blinding light the size of maybe a golfball and I would imagine the flash from a flash bang is a whole lot bigger?
>>
>>1019835
>Would they protect against something like a flash bang Grenade?
Yes but not the tear-gas that's certain to follow...
>>
>>1019929
then the ass whoopin after that
>>
hell yes. if you got one with a PAPR system or your own air supply then you would be able to defeat attacks with flash bangs or tear gas with proper ear protection as well.
>>
>A quick reaction time is necessary for preventing welder’s flash.

>Reaction time refers to the period the lens takes to switch from light to dark when the arc is detected. The quicker the better. Look for something with at least 1/10,000 (.0001) second reaction time to reduce eye strain. The higher end helmets can have reaction times of 1/20,000 (.00005) second.
http://weldinghelmethq.com/
>>
>>1019835
It allows you to stare directly at the sun. Welding arcs are no joke.

The biggest problem is you still cant see worth a shit with them on. Its not like you can run around covertly with one on, you wont be able to see shit.
>>
>>1019835
You may be able to avoid the light, but your ears will be damaged even with ear plugs and the deflagration in itself is enough to disorient.
>>
>>1019891
You're literally retarded if you weld without a good expensive quality made one on anything but overheard shit that would fuck it up quick.

Old timers are dumb as fuck and think brushing your teeth stops mouth cancer from chewing tobacco and that drinking milk protects you from zinc and cadmium costings.
>>
>>1020033
I can see pretty well with mine on. A bigger problem would be the helmet reacting to sunshine.
>>
>>1019835
>Would they protect against something like a flash bang Grenade?

Maybe not. The sensors are often triggered by UV light (which welding arcs are rich in). Sunlight can also trigger them due to its UV content. But flash-bangs may not have high enough UV emissions to trigger the sensors.
>>
>>1020128
Or just poor.
Yeah, lifting the hood to see before you strike up is a pain in the ass and mildly dangerous for a beginner, but a hood and shade 10 lens that are actually safety rated in the states for $30 is a far better deal IMO than a Chinese auto-hood that is "Z87++" rated by U-arel laboratories for a similar price.
I also don't have to worry about it getting stolen when I have trailer fags, Mexicans, and hoodbois in my class, since the school is on the bad side of town.

I'd love a next gen or something expensive, but I just blew $500 on the class, plus $200 in tools required for the class.
I don't have $150 for a hood.
>>
>>1020256
A 500 dollar class won't teach you enough to be a welder anyway so you don't need a good helmet.
>>
>>1019931
You would look pretty badass getting your ass whooped with snot and drool dripping out, since it's all being hidden by the mask.
>>
>>1020256
>$500 class
try like 10k
>>
>>1020392
To get an associates in welding technology at a reputable school for welding would only cost 6k for me.

>>1020314
It's really IRL experience that makes you a good welder anyways.

You don't pay for all of the classes at once you dumbasses. It's one at a time.
>>
I always use my 600$ auto speedarc helmet over others - its simple and always works. Other than it, i tend to go with the cheap $12 manual flippers.

Why - 95% of other helmets are fucked. Either they are cheap and miss detecting most of the flash, or are broken from use by wankers.

That said, preventing issues with fb grenades would be similar. Lenses dropped, your fked. Sensor not alligned or dialed in for fb, fcked again.

More importantly ive been watching the price of welding auto lenses that i could cover a numberplate with. Rigged to a ir sensor for speed camera trickery .
>>
now is there a helmet that combines auto dim goggles, respirator, hearing protection, and bump protection for the head?
>>
>>1020739
I like the way you think. You can stay.
>>
>>1019835
Lincoln Viking is excellent, especially the model with the larger viewport. Sensitivity+speed on medium are great. Autodarkening helmets block 100% uv passively anyway, all you have to worry about is light flashes which is far far far less damaging than the uv, almost negligible.
>>
>>1020927
literally who needs all that shit all at the same time?

I tell you hwhat, not even the people who occupied Iraq bothered with all that shit.
Helmet, full face mask (3M 7800S),hearing protection. All separate.

Flashbangs are apparently practically a non-issue.
>>
>>1020927
yes

there are several models

this ones optical performance is very high
>>
>>1020927
>now is there a helmet that combines auto dim goggles, respirator, hearing protection, and bump protection for the head?

Problem solved by milsurp:

Wear a gas mask (not a respirator, they are different), foam ear plugs, and a US Navy deck crew helmet with a comm headset installed. Connect headsel to your radio of choice by making a custom pigtail. Navy crew helmets protect the head from the MANY hard and sharp aircraft surfaces while holding headsets/ear muffs in place.

There is plenty of info for the Googling, but I've worn the helmet and headsets and fabbed the cords. (The helmet wasn't worth the inconvenience for Air Force maintainers but some of us scrounged our own to try back when we were allowed personal comm headsets.)

An autodark lens would be a liability because of reduced vision. C

Do what early Cold War pilots were told to do and close one eye when you expect a flash.

We used to solder custom pigtails for aircrew headsets so they could listen to music on long flights while still plugged in to the aircraft. It's basically adding another male connector to a "breakout" cable. They were portable since they were basically a Y cable with a male for personal audio device in addition to aircraft male and female connectors for normal helmet connection.
>>
A modular solution is better than a full helmet because you can dress for conditions and avoid heat stress.

That's why military chem gear doesn't look like that sweet Optrel helmet.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.