[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make money with goats? What are the best breeds and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: happy goat.jpg (61 KB, 492x600) Image search: [Google]
happy goat.jpg
61 KB, 492x600
How do you make money with goats? What are the best breeds and how do you take care of them? I'm looking for hardy goat breeds that I can sell for a good price. I have 10 acres about 7 acres of field and 3 in forest in central east Texas. I have built a small 16 x 16 cabin with loft back in the woods without utilities and have nearly fenced the place wit goat wire. I plan on staying in the cabin to take care of the goats. Also what are some ideas to make this cabin livable year round?
>>
>>1018397
Try duct tape
>>
breed with them and sell the goat-human hybrids
>>
>>1018404
I could never sell my babies.
>>
>Selling your goats
>Not selling their milk
>Not turning their excess milk into cheese
>Not selling their cheese.
>>
>>1018407
I would do something like this but with all the FDA regulation I probably wouldn't get very far. Any clues on what steps in the process I would have to go through just to sell the milk and finding a distributor?
>>
>>1018405
>I could never sell my babies.
Then they are pets, not livestock. One thing is not like the other.

Farmers have a wise custom. They don't name food.

The internet abounds in livestock information and general info for farmers. There is no way to spoon feed that into one thread so if OP is serious it will do its homework including study of local livestock prices. This is not a livestock forum.

There is a lot to learn, including basic veterinary care. No matter what you raise, some will die very unpleasantly so be sure that won't bother you too much.

Google "goat forums" and you'll find plenty. I just did to test. By OPs post, he didn't.
>>
>>1018397
You need to research your area before even thinking about goats as a income idea. Is there farmers markets in your area? Are you willing to learn how to make goat cheese and other goat milk products?

Dairy goats will let you make the most income without having a large number of goats.

I had a small herd of nubians, goats are always getting into trouble and even with good fencing you better love goats because they will quickly take all your time with upkeep. Thats why id say start a small dairy operation and sell locally, then let your profits dictate your next move.

The only way to make any real money with breeding is to get lots of high quality stock which requires high start up cost. Otherwise youll barely make up your feed, vet, and med costs.

Why are set on goats? Just cause you like them?
>>
>>1018409
I was talking about my human goat hybrid babies. I have no problem in selling plain old goats.
>>
>>1018411
I figured with goats I could produce more meat or diary than with cows on a small piece of property. Did you sell any goat milk? Can you legally sell goats milk products at a farmers market without having to go through the FDA?
>>
huh I looked it up I guess you can.
>>
Eh I guess id rather sell the milk anyway probably get attached to the little buggers.
>>
Goats are used to clear brush off of lots for various reasons including fire breaks. The owner or you sets up temporary fencing around the area you want goated, the rented goats are out there for while. The goats have now eaten everything and even fertilized the soil.

Everyone profits!
>>
>>1018408
Nigga do you know what a farmer's market is?
>>
>>1018397

pimp them out.. $50 bucks for 10 mins alone with them. much more profitable than selling shitty milk
>>
>>1018409
You are fucking stupid, m8
>>
>>1018408
>>1018414

Make goat milk soap and sell it on esty for $20 a pop or $8 each at a farmer's market.

Hippies and granola girls love that shit.
>>
>>1018409
He couldn't sell literally his babies. Not that cute thing that pees on his own face and eats your shirts from off your back.
>>
>>1018407
>not having machine-gun toting federal agents threatening to murder you and your entire family over some unpasturized milk
>>
>>1018408
Check with agrifags in your state. You REALLY should get totally into the agricultural world if you are serious.

What State are you in? Google agriculture and farming resources for that state including academic.

This is an odd age. I'm old, but the young don't know how to use a search engine?

Open a Google window. Type "goat cheese resources". FUCKING READ. I just tested it. Works very well.

http://goatdocs.ansci.cornell.edu/Resources/GoatArticles/NewGoatOwnerStuff/HowToStartGoatDairy.pdf

I respect entrepreneurship but don't any of you fuckers read and study ANYTHING but weebshit?

"If you decide to take the plunge, I would suggest you follow some or all of these steps.
Contact your state Dept. of Agriculture and Markets and request a copy of the regulations for
dairy plants. A field inspector may come to your farm and give you some suggestions and
advice also. The inspectors are there to guide you and can be a great resource. They can also be
quite intimidating and sometimes difficult. For that reason (from my experience) it is very wise
to empower yourself with knowledge and be strong enough to stand up for what you know.
Everything you construct, do, and market, will have requirements to meet. When you get the
regulations manual, read it front to back again and again"

You can contact any Federal and State regulatory agency. Do that. There is NO subistitute for having the printed rules in your hand. Fuck "he said, she said". get it in fucking print.
>>
>>1018397
>How to do entire profession pls?

I think you need to step back and start at the beginning. Maybe consider visiting a library.
>>
I want some goats, too

milk and cheese? yes please
>>
Have you considered buying one goat for a case of beer,selecting comedy as a new career path and going on a one man one goat comedy tour of west Texas ?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160623-143308.png (366 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160623-143308.png
366 KB, 1080x1920
>>1018397
Are you this guy?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.