[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOW THE FUCK DO I USE THIS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 7.jpg (121 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
121 KB, 960x640
So I have 1/6 sheet sander like this.

Whenever I try to hold flat on the work piece, it keeps jumping around like crazy.
It vibrates at 12,000rpm and I feel like its way too much.

I don't want to push down too hard on it to keep it in place because I fear it will bog down the motor.

Lately I've been lifting off at the back and just having the front part of the paper in contact with the wood. But that is slowly wearing down the backing pad.

Am I using it wrong?
>>
this is for light finish sanding... what are you trying to do with it? if your trying to remove a shitton of old paint, or smooth down extremely screwed up surfaces then this will probably not be enough... maybe look into a belt sander with some 80 grit..
>>
>>1017380
I'm using it as a finishing sander. Tried it on a dozen things and had the same result.

Used it with 600 grit and water to reduce orange peel on a freshly varnished table top.

Used it dry with 320 grit to finish another coffee table before staining.

Even tried with 1500 and 2000 grit wet to color sand my truck.
>>
>>1017374
Don't push down so hard? The weight of the tool is almost enough to do the work.

Or get some more strength in your arms. I haven't used one of those in years because I bought an orbital, but it doesn't jump around at all. If I push it hard enough that it binds and would jump, it just stalls because my arm is stronger than its little motor.
>>
>>1017374
hahah you're an idiot
push as hard as you want it won't hurt anything

>worked in a cabinet for few months
>sanding 8hrs a day with the same palm sander
>literally trying to break it all day every day
>3 months of extreme abuse, still works perfectly
>>
>>1017374
>jumping around like crazy
what does that mean?

is that somehow different from the other sheet sanders you've used?
>>
>>1017374
Why a 1/4 sheet sander when orbitals are a thing ?
>>
>>1017374
>>1017374
>have ten dollar harbor freight palm sander
>broke the things that hold the sheets on a long time ago
>spray craft glue on sheet of sandpaper to stick it on
>sand the shit out of everything
>push as hard as I possibly can
>completely gunked up with dust
>use it to finish stuff, remove stuff, hardwood, soft wood, whatever
>runs like a champ

I imagine there are some things that you can fuck up if you aren't nice to them, but I don't think a sheet sander is one of them.
>>
>>1017374
Build up your arm strength.
>>
>>1017390
Never use this for sanding on a vehicle. Body panels are not flat enough for a sander meant for flat surfaces.

>>1017447
>wants to spend too much for sandpaper
Because square sanders can take cut down sandpaper instead of buying round sanding disks.
>>
>>1017396

you worked in a cabinet?

also you cant break a fucking air powered hand sander idiot
>>
>>1019018
That should read cabinet shop (duh) and we used electric palm sanders.

>he bumped a thread from page 9 to make himself look like a fool
good job!
>>
>>1017374
Steady even pressure with the grain of the wood.
>>
>>1017374
I'm going to agree with the guys who are saying push harder. I refinished cabinets and furniture for a bunch of my neighbors for some extra cash in college. My little 1/4 sheet sander worked great under a bit of pressure. If it kills the motor or heats up too much then you got a lemon.
>>
>>1017374
>HOW THE FUCK DO I USE THIS?
Grip firmly - Apply pressure as needed
If it still jumps, get your sister to show you how to use it.
>>
>>1019023
Yeah, but you still haven't explained how you fit in the cabinet
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.