[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I work in a research laboratory as a test tube monkey and my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image001_oztobt.jpg (44 KB, 640x423) Image search: [Google]
image001_oztobt.jpg
44 KB, 640x423
I work in a research laboratory as a test tube monkey and my boss is easily startstruck by futuristic stuff. Because I've designed a few jigs and other simple stuff and had it printed commercially he now thinks I know everything there is to know about 3D printing and wants to purchase one for the lab, putting me in charge of operating it. It seems like it would be a nice break from running a few hundred simple experiments in parallel each day.

Because most of the stuff I've designed that actually gets used has been printed on a MarkForged Mark One, it makes sense to go with one of those and the supplier offers a two day training course in its operation. The snag is that I have no experience operating a 3D printer and the last time I ever produced anything serious myself was at school on a CNC router. Am I exchanging a boring job I understand for a boring job I don't or is it something worth going for?
>>
>>1016900
My main job duties involve 3D printing but thats not really the part I like, it's the design work (I'm studying mechanical engineering). If you are only going to be printing things, you will be extremely bored 90% of the time because you go through the process of setting up and starting the print, then you sit there and wait for it to be done. Unless you have 10+ printers, you won't stay busy.
>>
>>1016900
Honestly, 3d printing is pretty boring when everything is working.

When things aren't working you have to figure out whats up and change it, but after you get things dialed in that's kinda rare.

When things are working you just click print and make sure the first layer goes down right and then check back in on it a couple hours later.
>>
>>1016905
Thanks. I think I could live with that because I'd be doing the design work too and I figure I'd be able to justify a massively overspecced computer in the budget for 'designing at work' (his setup budget is 4 times the cost of the printer + a separate budget for filament) so I can also do some CGI on the side, which is a hobby of mine but is sometimes called upon for promotional videos (the last one landed me a 4K prosumer camcorder for production that was mine to keep by way of payment).
>>
>>1016906
This actually doesn't sound all that different from my current job in terms of boredom ratio, in fact, it sounds most like running a PCR incubator. The advantage I can see with 3D printing is that the less people who understand your job, the happier you are doing it. Thank you very much, I think I'm going to accept the offer.
>>
>>1016914
I would anyway just because it's at least a new experience and new knowledge. Good luck
>>
>>1016916
That's very true. Thanks again for the help.
>>
>>1016905
>>1016906

I don't see how it could possibly be boring for you folks, maybe as a job but. That is possibly the most open ended thing to know, why do you not spend your spare time inventing Cool Ass Shit? I'm just starting to get my feet wet into 3d printing and it seems like the such a flexible skill? Am I just a nooblord cuck?

>>1016914
100% do it, live the dream and learn man, that sounds awesome.
>>
>>1017868
Because anything remotely interesting either requires a more expensive printer.

Because the skills associated with 3D printing are entirely independent of them. You could design for literally anything else, and the only advantage that 3D printing gives you is the option to do it in a place that isn't necessarily a workshop, on cheaper materials (although this is the point where you start making honest valuations of your time)
>>
>>1019178

But this gives him a design portfolio. The skill is transferable, but without a portfolio you'd need a paper qualification in design.

If you put on your CV that you currently do CAD, can deal with CNC and currently work in an expanding and creative market, then you've gained an interview.

If he's any good at creative shit, saying he can set a PCR incubation apparatus up won't get him an interview. Even if the job doesn't pan out long term, the more skills the better. Especially in a market seen as the next great thing.

I saw a new low in 3d printing a few days ago, when I saw Nike's latest range include premium priced models with (partly) 3d printed uppers. Obviously in China they have warehouses with thousands chattering away already.
>>
>>1016900
Tell your boss the truth, a 3D printer is not a good investment for his company.
>>
>>1021115
His boss has paid him in expensive electronics and has budgeted four times the cost of the printer. I don't think bossman is very worried about where his money ends up.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.