[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /diy/, CAD designer here. i desperetely need a 3d mouse for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 3d-mouse-ball-624x425.jpg (30 KB, 624x425) Image search: [Google]
3d-mouse-ball-624x425.jpg
30 KB, 624x425
hey /diy/, CAD designer here.
i desperetely need a 3d mouse for my work, however they're expensive ash shit and i'm a poor student.
is there a way i can build one ? are there any cheap Chinese ones i could buy ?

thank you
>>
>>1015895
Wiimote?

WiiMotionPlus/2nd-gen Wiimote senses x,y,z movement, plus pitch,roll,yaw.

http://www.solidsmack.com/3d-cad-technology/using-a-wiimote-to-control-3d-cad-solidworks/
>>
>>1015914
Way too inaccurate.
>>
>>1015914
thats not a bad idea, however keeping my arm in the air all the time wouldn't be practical.
>>1015915
dunno about the accuracy of that thing, i never used one.
>>
>>1015895
space navigator isnt that expensive, they give students discounts
>>
>>1015895
>i desperetely need a 3d mouse for my work, however they're expensive ash shit and i'm a poor student.
lol no you fucking don't. You want one because they're neat, but they aren't required at fucking all.
>>
>>1016079

> 3D mice aren't needed

True but they are extremely useful to have if you have a job that requires viewing 3d models all day.
>>
>>1016084

If you have a job that requires that, I can't imagine you're in a position where you're not making enough money to afford one off-the-shelf.

Or just tell your employer that they make you more productive and get them to buy it.
>>
>>1016084
Why not learn to use the keyboard? It's far more accurate anyway. Most sane 3d programs let you have rotate/zoom in one mode, and translate in the other. Blender has it, but Blender was always keyboard-driven first: numpad 2468 rotate, 5 goes between isometric and perspective, with 137 being orthoganol alignments. Hold control, and you translate. There's even an option for turntable vs trackball method of rotation in the input.

I need to see if Blender has a nice CAD package yet, that was the only glaring flaw with it.
>>
>>1016092
Because a keyboard is digital and batched, whereas a mouse is analogue and realtime?

Just an idea.
>>
File: 1460387997886.jpg (141 KB, 560x510) Image search: [Google]
1460387997886.jpg
141 KB, 560x510
>>1016104
>a mouse is analog
>>
You are a designer or you are a student, choose one. My CAD instructor makes everyone learn with standard mice and teaches keyboard shortcuts. Works fine.

Try Ebay for a used mouse. Mice are so personal there are always good used mice on Ebay which didn't suit their purchasers ergonomic preferences.
>>
>>1015895
Buy an old usb one on ebay. I got a old USB spaceball 5000 on ebay for like $20. It's better than more recently made ones because it has all these nice buttons which the newer ones have.
>>
>>1016169
student
>>
>>1016179
>USB spaceball 5000
apparently they stopped making drivers for it .
>>
>>1016162
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem
>>
>>1016512
then you don't need a 3d mouse
>>
3Dconnection have some nice 3D mouse and have some discount for students...still its a bit expensive. I think they are about 80 dls.
>>
Damn OP, I am a CAD Technician and I know for a fact we don't need a 3-D mouse. You probably want it for gaming and such. What program are you currently using?
>>
>>1015895
You don't need one. What I have heard a lot more CAD people use is those ergonomic sideways mice, like the evoulent ones or something.
>>
>>1016536
They might be analog in the most technical sense, but they give a pixel based input which it digital.
>>
>>1016691
Calm down you turbo autist, might as well say that nothing in this world is purely digital...
>>
>>1016691
congratulations on taking some electronics classes at community college
>>
>>1016515
It still works for me using the old drivers.
>>
>>1015920
trust that dude. you can barely play the bullshit games they make for that because the remote sucks ass.
>>
>>1017473
I'm that dude.

I think it works well for most Wii games, but that's only when they need broad motions and not precise movement.

For instance, I though Twilight Princess or WarioWare Smooth Moves plays excellently since they use broad motions or gestures, but Skyward Sword was a nightmare because the remote is nowhere near precise enough.
>>
>>1015895
You don't really need a mouse for CAD. Between start and end points everything is command anyway? What?
>>
>>1015895
I use revit all day everyday and get along fine with a trackball mouse. 3d is unnecessary and so is 3D CAD, tons of better programs out there
>>
>>1017785
3D mouse is unnecessary **
>>
>>1017629
There was a hardware refresh of the Wiimote that added gyroscopes (and a dongle called the "Wii MotionPlus" that clicked into the bottom of the legacy ones.

This greatly increased the accuracy of rotation detection over extrapolating from looking at the sensor bar.
>>
>>1017787
Yeah, I have the plus. Still not too great.
>>
>>1016781
Or, if time-space is indeed granular, nothing is purely analog.
>>
>>1017876
Or, you know, we can stop ignoring the fact that every analog device has to run through a ADC before a computer can use it.

For instance, a joystick may be analog, but the computer is recieving a numeric value, usually -128 to 128.

Also, analog can be used to mean not digital, as in not returning a value of 1 or 0.
>>
>>1017851
I don't know about you, but hooked up to the pc, the Wiimote is accurate as fuck. Just with the gyro alone.
Paired with the sensor bar and gyro, it's 1:1. I use it for VR and it's perfect.

That being said, using just the gyro you do experience some drift, but with the sensor bar, it alleviates that. There's scripts around online that switch on the fly between sensors, and it works pretty well.

As far as Wii games though, poor implementation of the hardware is more on the fault of the game developers. The Wiimote is a great piece of hardware. There's a bunch of crazy applications for it.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.