[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is made by Park Tool. For fixing bikes. What does it do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1467159243281.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1467159243281.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
This is made by Park Tool. For fixing bikes. What does it do?
>>
>>1015119
Fixes bikes
>>
This is a headset die. Not sure which one, but it creates or cleans out threads on bicycle fork for threaded headset.
>>
http://www.parktool.com/product/fork-threading-set-fts-1

it's just a rebranded die handle with a 1 1/8"-?? die for putting external threads
>>
It is a 11/8th die for something on the bike. It recuts the threads if they are damaged. I dont know where on the bike they are though so god luck.
>>
>>1015124
>>1015123
>>1015122
thank you guy, I was thinking a precise cutting tool of some kind, no idea it would be for headsets though. Would it be used for anything else?

awesome!
>>
>>1015126
>Would it be used for anything else?
>>1015122
>it creates or cleans out threads
>>1015124
>It recuts the threads if they are damaged

you can use it for anything as long as anything means cutting a 1 1/8" external thread on something of appropriate diameter (check your thread tables)
>>
>>1015127
thank you!
>>
>>1015127

Use it for making taps, then use the taps for making new dies, an endless tool loop.
>>
>>1015122
>This is a headset die.
It is a headset die, but usually they sell these things as "thread restorers" that will clean out grime and repair (cut away) any dinged up threads.

In theory you could use it to cut new threads, but in practice this doesn't work well because thin & large-diameter dies tend not to self-straighten if they are started crooked--which is what always happens when you try to start a die by hand. If you start it crooked, it will run more and more off-center as it progresses further along the tube until it jams, and the head tube is then fucked.

If you make a fork and want to cut the threads 'yourself' with a die, then,,,, don't do that. You will fuck it up.
Have someone with a metal lathe cut ~50% - 75% depth threads on it first, because that way the die will track in that cut and will run straight all the way.
>>
>>1015237
I see no reason to object to this logical failure.
>>
>>1015331
oh you :^)
>>
>>1015331
It's not a logical failure though, you can literally do that.
>>
>>1015387
Sure. In the same way that you can use a copy machine to copy money that you can then use to buy more copy machines to copy more money. Nothing can go wrong!
>>
>>1015127
Why would you need to check a thread table? Threads are measured from the major diameter.....
>>
You gon cut some external threads there
then ya gonna screw the wrong nut on and strip the fuck outta it, probably

good luck
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.