[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CRT monitor plastic filling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
I'm working on a crt monitor project which involves painting and customizations.
This particular monitor has an indented logo that I want to remove / fill in to a smooth finish.
Idk the specific type of plastic this monitor is made of , but I'm willing to bet it's abs plastic.
What is the best way to fill this logo in?
My research is coming up short.

I already know not to use Bondo because it's like fiberglass shit that will flake off over the plastic.
I'm unsure if simply using any random epoxy will do.
I've heard that taking spare plastic and adding acetone to it to melt it into a slurry paste, but I'm afraid it'll melt/damage the monitor.
What do?

Everything I find is related to vehicles and patching holes. I'm literally just trying to fill in a gap.
>>
I'd use an epoxy resin, you could mix it with a filler and make a better Bondo (which uses a polyester resin, nasty stuff).
>>
>>1013483
I happen to have both JB weld Quick Setting Epoxy (the 2-part syringe stuff) and JB Weld Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty. Are those good choices or simply "yeah it'll do its a monitor i dont give a fuuuuck"??
>>
>>1013479
Bondo.
>>
>>1013479
>abs plastic
shave off some abs from something else and get some abs solvent from the plumbing section to make a paste
>>
>>1013487
Either could work, just be sure to keep bubbles out as nothing is worse than sanding down an uncovering a bubble. I was thinking a proper 2-part fiberglass epoxy resin, but those will work too.

I would also rough up the plastic with some sand paper after a good wipe with isopropanol first to make sure it gets a good bond.
>>
>>1013488
Which Bondo? That's a fiberglass resin which won't hold for long against the semi-rigid plastic.

>>1013491
The solvent is simply acetone, is it not? I have some melted abs/acetone slurry but I'm worried that it'll just melt the actual monitor.
>>
Bondo!!!! Automotive shit. Stuff stinks when its curing so keep away from where you sleep and eat. Have used it for case mods. Its cheap and comes in a larger amount then epoxy. Don't use the screen/mesh shit that it comes with, you don't need it.
>>
>>1013520
Does Bondo work well on plastics though? I plan on painting this thing too and I don't want to have to worry about bondo's chemical makeup to shrink and cause cracks later on.
>>
>>1013528
Sand the area under where you will bondo, like really scratch the shit out of that surface
>>
>>1013595
So any Bondo will do? There isn't a specific one where it won't work with abs plastic?
>>
What are all these various enthusiast web forums talking about when they make it sound like Bondo is absolute crap for ABS Plastic body filling:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=7&t=319956&a=1
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=751038
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/190114-fillers-abs-plastic-bondo.html
Just some examples on the first page.

God forbid if this doesn't go through...
>>
Still looking for some input here. Unless my Google-fu is weak, I'm apparently the only person ever on the Internet to try and fill in an indentation on abs plastic.
>>
>>1014102
modelers putty after sanding the indentation
>>
>>1014116
I have JB weld epoxy Putty. I started to use it, but it felt very thick like it wouldn't reach into every crevice.
>>
>>1014102
The Gorilla brand epoxy is great, and I think it would work. I've used it on plastics and it holds well. Turn the monitor on its side and warm the room up to 90*F (or warm the epoxy up?) and it will be very runny and will just fill the indentation on its own. Once dry it can be sanded down.
>>
>>1014144
How easy is it to sand down?
>>
Guess I'm just going to have to wing it myself. I'll post pics with results.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.